The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I used the Newtones exclusively for quite awhile a few years back and eventually discovered the DR Sunbeams. Sunbeams won out for me at the time. My string of choice now is the GHS Infinity Bronze, but that is another story.
I have posted before that DR is more than happy to make custom sets of strings. They made a medium-light set for me (.012, .016, .024, .034. .045, .056) at no extra charge and shipped them to a local dealer of my choice.
Great people to work with. Feel free to PM me for the DR contact person.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong Twang Ping View Post
I worked my way through 10 sets of Newtone Masterclass Mediums on my Taylor GSRC and really liked them, although they seem to need few hours hit their stride. I have a set of DR Sunbeams Lights on now and I was impressed with the tone at 1st but I'm getting a nasty buzz on the 3rd/G string which is very reminiscent of the winding coming loose or like when it breaks (and yes, I tune to pitch and crimp before trimming).
Newtones are very difficult to get here, so I'm not sure what I'll try next.. but I'm definitely going back to mediums.

Bong.
I'm surprised lights work for you on the GS. I heard they would make the guitar sound thin.
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 AM

Some of this is definitely going to depend on the guitar, and the ears of the user. I tried a set of Sunbeams along with a set of Newtone double-wound round core strings last year. The Newtones were terrific, and became my go-to strings, anytime I feel like dipping back into the phosphor-bronze arena. So to speak, since I'm really a nickel string kind of guy. The Sunbeams? A jangly, shrill, atonal mess, in comparison, especially on my Collings.

I was really disappointed, as I've been a big DR fan in the past, and used the RAREs on my Guild for years.

Note that price wasn't an object for me, when I did this ... only the sound and feel. I didn't think the DR strings were even in the same class, after what I heard. A week of fighting with them, and hoping they would settle, and after that, out came the wire-cutters.

By contrast, the double-wound Newtones were warm, smooth, had great balance, brought out the resonance and sonority of the wood, and fretted beautifully.

Maybe it's just me ... or maybe I had a bad set, but that experience put me off DR strings - permanently.

BTW, as an blatant plug , John Pearse Pure Nickel strings are the real deal if you want a true vintage tone, dry, warm ... and without the brittle, hard, metallic overtones that other alloys can add to the mix. Be advised that they take about 72 hours to really settle down, and for most guitars to adjust to the change in tension ... but the sound, afterwards, is definitely worth the wait.

I've tested Pyramid strings, as well. My take in one word: boring. I'm not being flippant, either. That was my honest reaction. I still have a set, and might try them again one day to see if I feel differently, but the stiffness of the strings (and it was considerable, compared to other brands I've tested) will probably keep them off my guitars.

... JT
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 AM

Default Sunbeams vs Newtone

I've used both for years and I find some guitars respond better and/or sound with one over the other. But in general, Sunbeams are brighter and stiffer than Newtones. I like Sunbeams on a dreadnaught and Newtones on a smaller body.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:28 AM

Another thumbs up for Newtone here, the only strings i use now, i always used his 12-54's in p/b and then i tried his Monels and wow do i love those. I've just put a set of 12-56's p/b on my all hog J45 and i'm loving them, and just 5 min's ago i ordered 2 sets of Monels 13-56. The DR's were great strings but for me Newtones are just fantastic.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caimi View Post
I've used both for years and I find some guitars respond better and/or sound with one over the other. But in general, Sunbeams are brighter and stiffer than Newtones. I like Sunbeams on a dreadnaught and Newtones on a smaller body.
This^^^^^^^^^
But I like Newtones on Dreads.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-01-2021, 10:50 AM

Zombie Thread lives.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:44 PM

When I started playing you did have much of a choice. It was either round core or flatwounds.

I have been using Newtones for many years. Problem is these days I have to think ahead to order them which is not one of my strong points.

I have used DR Sunbeams. I find them OK and they are, of course, easy to find. But these days many string makers are offering round core - Mangan, Pyramid, Optima and such. Optima offers a version of the Newtone Heritage strings which is nice for those of us with lighter built older guitars. Pretty pricey though.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
...Anyone used both? What have been your impressions? I've used the Newtones and really like them but they cost almost twice what the DR Sunbeams cost. I've not tried DR Sunbeams but read consistently good comments about them. If the Newtone Master Class strings sound better, even subtly, I'll go with them. But if the DR Sunbeams sound as good as the Newtone Master Class strings, why spend almost twice as much? Just curious?

Tom
Can't say one is better- I like'm both. Depends which acoustic I'm restringing. The finer fingerstyle acoustics do well with both...my l-00's and such don't need 'em.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Depends on the guitar, but I have found Newtones to be my favorite round core string by far. DR Sunbeams are too bright for me and I generally do not like the stiffer feel of them. Throbak is another round core string that I have used and liked but if you like the bright tone of DRs, the Throbak's might not be to your liking as they are a tad darker than the Newtones. I liked the Optimas that I tried but a bit too pricey for me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-01-2021, 03:44 PM

I prefer the DR Sunbeams. But....I REALLY like Curt Mangan round core phosphor bronze strings. They are the best so far, and I've tried almost everything else.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:15 PM

Reviving a 10 year old thread is quite impressive.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Reviving a 10 year old thread is quite impressive.

In Covid time, that was yesterday. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-02-2021, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
In Covid time, that was yesterday. :-)
Best,
Jayne
, Great answer!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion