The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
I know that one

I guess I have very acidic skin as I never got enough of an extended life to justify the additional cost. I've just gone to buying conventional strings in bulk and changing them more often.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM

I like the Elixers, I just wish the G string would stop breaking. I finally switched to John Pearse and love the way they sound.

2004 Taylor 414 CE L7
2000 Takamine EG334SBC
2006 Alvarez PD80SC
1979 Yamaha FG-750S
Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM

I don't hate them, I just don't use them. I've broken two strings in 20 years, both were Elixirs both during the same show. Broke the 2nd and 4th strings. First time I ever used them, last time I ever used them.
1989 Taylor 710
Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 PM

I love the Elixir Nano webs on my GS8. I put them my my Applause, no way. I put them on my daughters Mitchell, no way. They both do better with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze. Odd the instruments can excel with a different string. I also like the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze flat wounds on the Taylor, except the black fingers (no big deal).

I love being able to choose. Rather than dislike/hate one I just use what works best.

Jery
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 AM

The sound on the Elixirs is a bit to harsh for me. Much prefer D'addario PB.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 PM

Friend picked up my guitar and started to play. He commented on the great sound new strings have. The were the original elixers that came with the gs i purchased a year and a half ago. They may feel like doody, they sound great for a long time.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog16 View Post
...Can you imagine after a concert someone complaining about your strings!?
Yes, if they squeak too much & the pa/amp accentuates it...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanooch View Post
Friend picked up my guitar and started to play. He commented on the great sound new strings have. The were the original elixers that came with the gs i purchased a year and a half ago. They may feel like doody, they sound great for a long time.
Hi fanooch...
You almost snuck by - so first things first...Hello and welcome to the group (noticed it is your first post).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 PM

I actually like elixers on most of my guitars and we must get the non breaking ones over here in oz,i'm a pretty hard strummer and haven't brocken an elixer string yet.
I do use mediums on my dread but even though i use lights on one of my other guitars i'm still yet to break one.
On a side note i posted a thread a few months ago asking if there was any truth in the rumour that both elixers and di addario strings were actually made in the same plant and nobody could positively say yes or no.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Default they make any guitar sound great!

elixir strings are great exept for,....elixir strings can make any guitar sound much much better exept for,..,,elixir strings would be the best ever made exept for,....please elixir! you know that you have a problem with the G 3rd strings! so why dont you hide the red faces an fix the problem?,talk to the staff members at GORETEC who play guitar and were part of the development of elixir strings in the first place..just strenghten the core wire and we can do with a little less treble but the 3rd will last much longer! maybe as long as the rest of the set???????????????,.dobrocop.

Last edited by dobrocop; 09-28-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: amnesia.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrocop View Post
elixir strings are great exept for,....elixir strings can make any guitar sound much much better exept for,..,,elixir strings would be the best ever made exept for,....please elixir! you know that you have a problem with the G 3rd strings! so why dont you hide the red faces an fix the problem?,talk to the staff members at GORETEC who play guitar and were part of the development of elixir strings in the first place..just strenghten the core wire and we can do with a little less treble but the 3rd will last much longer! maybe as long as the rest of the set???????????????,.dobrocop.
Elixir only coats strings, they dont make them. Last I heard they rotate through three different companies for the precoated string supply based on what is available at the best price (they by up excess supply from the companies). You can tell when they have used DAddario because the ball ends will be colored. I have had a few sets with the full colored ball ends before. I have been told by a string rep that the two brands they use most often are Ernie Ball and DAddario. YMMV as this info is only what I have been told, they dont advertise this, probably because they dont want people to know that they dont actually make strings.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
Elixir only coats strings, they dont make them. Last I heard they rotate through three different companies for the precoated string supply based on what is available at the best price (they by up excess supply from the companies). You can tell when they have used DAddario because the ball ends will be colored. I have had a few sets with the full colored ball ends before. I have been told by a string rep that the two brands they use most often are Ernie Ball and DAddario. YMMV as this info is only what I have been told, they dont advertise this, probably because they dont want people to know that they dont actually make strings.
This is interesting if true, woog... Are you sure about this?

FWIW, I don't particularly hate or like Elixirs. I used to like the polywebs to stop squeaking, which they did rather well. Nanos (and D'Addy EXPs too) don't really help much. I'm definitely partial to D'Addario or John Pearse PB strings though.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Humanist

It's interesting to see this thread "revived," and by whom (check posting history).

I have posted a number of times that Elixir does not make strings, and this is not a secret anywhere in the industry.

To clarify, wooglins information is only partially correct. They have a few suppliers...but it's not an "excess" situation, they have long-standing business relationships with a several manufacturers. They now also make some of their strings. Outside of the company, it is *not* known who the suppliers are, and this kept as privileged info...the "string rep" does not really know who is supplying Elixir.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 09-28-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Cool. Thanks for the confirm, Larry. It doesn't surprise me, really.

Well, D'Addario strings with Elixir coating would be worth trying. I guess there's no way to actually know if you're getting those without buying them first and looking for the color-coded aluminum ball-ends.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post
Cool. Thanks for the confirm, Larry. It doesn't surprise me, really.

Well, D'Addario strings with Elixir coating would be worth trying. I guess there's no way to actually know if you're getting those without buying them first and looking for the color-coded aluminum ball-ends.
Oh, that's another thing that puzzled me in the earlier post...

One of the things that I also know "for sure" is that Elixir would not use the color-coded ball ends, if indeed D'Addario were one of the suppliers (and I'm not saying that they are, because *I* don't know). This would identify the strings as such, and that is not how Elixir has chosen to do business.

Elixir strings are a value-added product, and I personally (in nearly 13 years of use) could never identify what original string manufacturer's product was on my guitar at any given time. They are "Elixir" strings!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 09-28-2009 at 11:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion