The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 02:47 PM

Walnut is not a tone wood I’d gamble on. YMMV.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-06-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Walnut is not a tone wood I’d gamble on. YMMV.
You might need to play my J15.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-06-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikat View Post
Did some calling around to shops in my area and unfortunately no Gibson dealers. ugh
Some specific advice. Don't know where you are in Kansas, but consider driving to Wildwood Guitars near Denver when their showroom opens again. I've played some really good J-45's and AJ's there, and they often have custom models. They usually have a large inventory. Good place to compare a lot of Gibsons -- which I think is necessary with J-45's.

No, I have no affiliation with them.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Go full GAS and find a period correct JT banner reissue from 2013, or if you don’t mind narrower string spacing and a v-neck? (Why Gibson, why...!!!) the new banner reissue. The JT reissues are to me are as close to the real McCoy as you can get. Adi top, 19 large frets, round chunky banner era correct neck etc etc.
The 2013 run of Banners was amazing. I am still kicking myself for not grabbing one of the all-mahogany LG1s. In terms of getting right up next to the real deal there was, of course, the J45 Legend. These were a copy of one of Eldon Whitford's 1942 J45s and are accurate to the point you can see the saw marks on the bracing.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
The 2013 run of Banners was amazing. I am still kicking myself for not grabbing one of the all-mahogany LG1s. In terms of getting right up next to the real deal there was, of course, the J45 Legend. These were a copy of one of Eldon Whitford's 1942 J45s and are accurate to the point you can see the saw marks on the bracing.

Yes these are great as well, a little warmer but excellent guitars.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-07-2021, 09:04 AM

Don't know about a walnut one, but you really should try a J-45 ....
Old 03-07-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Some specific advice. Don't know where you are in Kansas, but consider driving to Wildwood Guitars near Denver when their showroom opens again. I've played some really good J-45's and AJ's there, and they often have custom models. They usually have a large inventory. Good place to compare a lot of Gibsons -- which I think is necessary with J-45's.

No, I have no affiliation with them.
If you are in the eastern half of Kansas it is always worth a trip to Mass Street Music in Lawrence.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:14 AM

I feel you on your gas. I had a deal setup on a nice used standard off forum and the guy sold it out from under me after we agreed on price and I was set to drive 2 hours the next day. Good thing I confirmed lol.

I’m going to hold out now till I can hear/play one with the torrified Adi top and hide glue. It’s more $$$ but everyone says its worth it. I am one of those guys who likes to hear it, touch it, see it first.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 AM

Once upon a time, I too, gassed for a J-45. I played a few at guitar stores and liked some, loved a few, didn't care for others. In the end I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money.

Then I played a J-15. Same body size as the 45. Walnut back and sides. This was before the price hikes for the J-15 in the last couple of years.

I bought a used J-15 in mint condition for less than half of a J-45 and got a great guitar with the low end that I was looking for, same size and body dimensions.

If I was going to buy a J-45, I would buy the iconic mahogany version. If its the walnut you are after I would encourage you to look at the J-15 instead of getting some lesser version of the J-45. But you should play both guitars yourself before deciding.

I still look at used J-45's from time to time, but what I realize is that I am drawn to the iconic model number more than I want the actual guitar.....
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 03-07-2021, 09:29 AM

Before I got a J-45, I was a Martin/Guild/Yamaha person, happily. After the J-45 acquisition, I'm now a Martin/Guild/Yamaha/Gibson person, happily. I like that J-45 so much that I'm now strongly considering other Gibson acoustics. Should be a fun search for the next one, once I decide what to look for. I should note that I've always had Gibson electrics of various types.
FYI: mine is the Custom Shop Sixties J45 that comes with a bone nut and saddle already installed and the large white pickguard with that late-60s Gibson logo on it; I think it's a 2016 model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion