The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivel View Post
Nice review Jarvis! I'm planning to have a bone but and saddle installed on mine. Not a fan of the plastic bridge pins either, so might swap them for ebony or water buffalo.
unbleached bone is good
Old 02-28-2021, 05:55 PM

Very old thread that I have read and re-read several times. In a shop nearby there were two FG180s, they remained unsold for years (until 2018) and when I finally decided to buy one I found they were gone.
Fortunately about six months ago I found an used one for a very reasonable price in mint conditions, it has become one of my favourite guitars, it's SLIGHTLY less resonant than my HD28V, but just a little, and definitely better than many standard D-18s I tried. The only drawback is imo the thick finish that dampens the top resonance but I would say the and fingerboard are more comfortable than my Martin.

I post here some pics and I recommend the guitar to anyone who can find one and I also recommend to change pins, saddle and nut with bone, it improves clarity and high end.

'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 03-04-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly713 View Post
I finally heard from Yamaha corporate regarding my questions about the production run of the 50th anniversary model and our serial numbers.

I was told during a phone conversation with a spokesperson in their Buena Park, California, offices that "many" countries, including the U.S., will be getting their own allotment of 180 guitars. The spokesperson threw out Canada, Australia, and countries in Western Europe and Scandinavia as examples of nations that would get the 180 allotment. So counting the U.S., that's at least five countries, times 180, or 900 guitars. One would have to think there would be many more.

He said the last three numbers of our serial numbers indicate the number of our guitar within the overall worldwide production run, which, of course, is unknown to us. Maybe even to Yamaha at this point. So mine is guitar #625. Others here on this thread have been 516, 659, and 713.

I first became aware of this guitar in an Acoustic Guitar magazine ad that said, "With a run of just 180 guitars, this 50th Anniversary re-issue becomes a true collector's edition...."

Well, it's a global marketplace out there now, so I don't think 180 for the U.S. market in the context of possibly a thousand or so more worldwide is going to make this a collector's item, at least not any time soon. A number of them from Japanese sellers have already been on the resale market on eBay in recent weeks.

So I think the ad copy, if not actually misleading, is at least incomplete in that it doesn't fully explain what that 180 means. Of course, it never seemed feasible, to me anyway, that Yamaha would put all this production effort into making just 180. That would not make sense, especially for a mass market company.

But none of this takes away from the fact that this is really a gorgeous and great sounding dreadnought guitar. It's just a matter of putting its limited edition status in context. If Yamaha call sell thousands of them, then good on them. I love my #625.
Dr Frankenstein here breathing life into this old thread. Just an FYI for anyone reading this, I emailed Yamaha Australia recently when I bought a used one (plastic still on the pick guard) and they said they were assigned 36 of these guitars back when these were released. So maybe they're rarer than previously thought
Old 03-04-2024, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I have #763. It is one of my favorites... but don't tell the others ..

Lee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion