The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 07:09 AM

Default Baritone string action

I recently purchased a Furch baritone - find the action at the 12 fret region quite high. I was trying to play ebon coast by Andy McKee and find it hard to finger the chords at the 12 fret region.
I also have a couple of normal acoustics for which I don’t have issue playing at the 12 fret region.

My question is this - is it reasonable to expect similar action between a baritone and a normal guitar?
Old 02-23-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I recently purchased a Furch baritone - find the action at the 12 fret region quite high. I was trying to play ebon coast by Andy McKee and find it hard to finger the chords at the 12 fret region.
I also have a couple of normal acoustics for which I don’t have issue playing at the 12 fret region.

My question is this - is it reasonable to expect similar action between a baritone and a normal guitar?
I would guess that the fatter strings would require more room, so maybe they come set up with higher action. I just had the action lowered on my baritone. Then I ended up putting regular strings on it because I hated the baritone strings. I actually love playing Andy Mckee’s “drifting” on it now. Probably counterintuitive but whatever. To each their own. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable on baritones will chime in.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
I would guess that the fatter strings would require more room, so maybe they come set up with higher action. I just had the action lowered on my baritone. Then I ended up putting regular strings on it because I hated the baritone strings. I actually love playing Andy Mckee’s “drifting” on it now. Probably counterintuitive but whatever. To each their own. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable on baritones will chime in.

Oh you put regular strings on it and tuned it to regular tuning ? Or kept it at baritone tuning ?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Oh you put regular strings on it and tuned it to regular tuning ? Or kept it at baritone tuning ?
Right now it’s in DADGAD, but I tune it to other open tunings as well. It’s a little easier on my fingers anyway. It doesn’t have that baritone sound, but it does sound more robust than my regular acoustics even with regular strings on it. Probably the longer scale and heavier build I would think.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
Right now it’s in DADGAD, but I tune it to other open tunings as well. It’s a little easier on my fingers anyway. It doesn’t have that baritone sound, but it does sound more robust than my regular acoustics even with regular strings on it. Probably the longer scale and heavier build I would think.

I see .. I think I still want the baritone strings, as I have some nice acoustics already.
Wondering if it’s supposed to be pretty high or should I send it to a professional to set up?
Old 02-23-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I see .. I think I still want the baritone strings, as I have some nice acoustics already.
Wondering if it’s supposed to be pretty high or should I send it to a professional to set up?
Well, when I brought mine in for a setup, it still had the baritone strings on it and the luthier was able to bring the action down a bit without compromising the sound if that helps. If you’re struggling to get what you want out of it, it’s definitely worth taking it to a professional to see what they can do. Sometimes even the smallest adjustment can make all the difference in the world.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a bunch of baritone guitars. The thicker strings require a little more spacing but the action should not be hard to play. Probably needs a setup.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I've owned a bunch of baritone guitars. The thicker strings require a little more spacing but the action should not be hard to play. Probably needs a setup.

Thanks I’ll bring it to the best luthier I know in my area he probably could do something about it , thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion