The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Whatever cloth you use just make sure dust hasnt collected on it beforehand so as to risk scratching your precious finish. Also, use a separate cloth to wipe down your strings, for the same reason.
I don't know why I never thought of this before; I usually wipe the strings down and use the same cloth to wipe the guitar down
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Bandanas mostly.

I keep a fresh bandana (100 % cotton) in each guitar case, and wipe down the strings after each session. If there's fresh sweat on the guitar body, I use the bandana for that, too.

If the guitar is really grungy on the body, I'll occasionally wipe it down using water and an old t-shirt. That's about it.

By the way, the mother lode of bandanas is your local craft/sewing store -- a huge selection of colors & designs to coordinate with any guitar, strap, or case interior!

When I wash my bandanas, I don't use a fabric softener or dryer sheet, as that will facilitate streaking. Either hang dry, or in the dryer without the dryer sheet.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 PM

I have been using flannel cloth from music nomad. It is safe on most guitar finishes. Only thing I don't like is that the flannel can come off and leave little particles behind. No biggie though.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I use the Taylor polishing cloth, but first I use a soft makeup brush to remove the dust particles. I noticed that Taylor doesn't seem to sell them now. I'll probably find out that they were impregnated with some kind of chemical that causes a guitar's finish to disintegrate after multiple uses. I'm always the last to find out about this kind of stuff.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 AM

For years I'd use a old t shirt to wipe the neck and strings after playing. I used a "Keep on Trucking" shirt for the longest time. A couple of years ago I found the black dunlop micorfiber cloth, it's a super soft material. I just toss it in with the rest of the laundry when I feel it's time, then try to find out which shirt it's stuck to when the laundry is done .
Old 09-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

I used to use either a cut up (LL Bean !) flannel sheet or old t-shirt for years. After purchasing my Huss and Dalton, I found they recommended a Beard micro-fiber cloth, so I bit...must say it and the Beard polish are very nice...
Old 02-19-2021, 03:42 PM

Hi,

I've purchased cleaning solutions for my acoustic guitar one for the fret board and one for the body of the guitar.

Can you recommend a cloth(s) that I should use ?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2021, 03:53 PM

I use a microfibre cloth with the edges folded in so they never touch the surface of the guitar. I have them left from my CDO (that's OCD, but in alphabetical order, as it should be ) car detailing days.

The cheap ones are garbage and scratch. Buy some decent ones if you're going to go that way.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 02-19-2021, 03:55 PM

Retired all cotton t-shirt.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
The best solution^^^^^right here.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 02-19-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Yep, for 45 years. So old, they aren't even remotely white, although my wife launders them every few years...... thank you honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
I don't know why I never thought of this before; I usually wipe the strings down and use the same cloth to wipe the guitar down
I wipe the strings down and use the same cloth to wipe down the guitar. If something is coming off the strings and scratching the guitar, too imperceptible to notice. If it has scratched it minutely, not important to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion