The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Does truss rod flattening the neck increase tension?

If the truss rod is turned to decrease relief does that increase tension, I mean is the scale increased, technically. I am trying to figure how the geometry works. When the neck is flatter is the scale now longer, at least by a little. If you measured the string tension would it go from 175lbs to 175.5 or something.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

It stands to reason but I'm not luthier or math wizard so I'll defer to the folks in the know...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

makes sense and I think you are correct but the geometry makes it incredibly tiny.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-05-2021, 07:27 PM

If you don't adjust the tuning, and there had been relief in the neck and tighten the truss rod (flatten the neck), the strings will be sharper in pitch, so it does increase the tension slightly. As for making the scale longer, I doubt the increased length is more than a thousandth of an inch. It's more akin to having a rope stretched across a relatively flat plane, slightly above the plane, affixed at two endpoints and a bowed floorboard (the plane) is slightly lifted.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
If the truss rod is turned to decrease relief does that increase tension, I mean is the scale increased, technically. I am trying to figure how the geometry works. When the neck is flatter is the scale now longer, at least by a little. If you measured the string tension would it go from 175lbs to 175.5 or something.
Tension increase? Not enough to be discernable by the player.
Scale length longer? No.

The DYNAMIC tension of the string when being played would be LESS because you'd need to press the string a shorter distance to the fret as you decrease the relief of the fretboard.

The STATIC tension when the string is at rest has absolutely no bearing on the end result for all practical intent.

You do not decrease "scale length" by mechanically shortening or lengthening the speaking length of the string when the relief is adjusted, you simply induce error.

In your hypothetical situation the actual numbers are so small that they would have no discernible effect.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
makes sense and I think you are correct but the geometry makes it incredibly tiny.
Yes mostly an academic question that popped into my head after adjusting the relief the other day.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 PM

If you adjust the neck for no relief (like I do) when you retune there should not be and difference in tension. That is if you do it while strings are up to pitch.
After the neck is straight, you will have to retune lower offsetting tension. Note the neck will be driven harder because the former flexy-relief neck will not absorb as much energy.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:41 PM

Default A thought

A string tuned to suit the player has a certain amount of tension on it. Physics says so. Changing relief may cause the string to go sharp or flat, and it will be re-tuned to the tension that offers the right pitch. The same tension.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:25 AM

Yes you are right - straightening a curved neck increases the straight line distance between the ends but I do not believe any human could feel the extra tension it causes.

Last edited by Russ C; 02-06-2021 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-06-2021, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
A string tuned to suit the player has a certain amount of tension on it. Physics says so. Changing relief may cause the string to go sharp or flat, and it will be re-tuned to the tension that offers the right pitch. The same tension.
It is not exactly the same tension for the same pitch. The straight line distance between the nut and bridge is now slightly longer or shorter than before depending on whether you removed or added relief.

Imagine that your neck was so bowed that the straight line the string took between the nut and bridge was 24.9". And when you straightend the neck it became 25.5". You can see that the tension would be higher with the strings tuned to the same pitch when the neck was straightend. We are looking at the same principle here but on a much smaller scale.

It's an interesting physics paper question but I don't think I'll be worrying about it at my next gig

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

So the political answer. When you tighten the truss rod. You are lengthening the strings ever so slightly. Witch will pull them sharp. But you then, need to tune them back down to pitch. So the tension is a delicate balance.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:54 AM

As we are talking about a tenth of an inch over some 25 inches, I would not mind...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion