The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 06:25 PM

Default Ladder braced guitars - Waterloo vs Gibson LG1

Those of you who like ladder braced guitars, have you compared a Waterloo WL-14L and an LG1? What have you liked about each, pros/cons of one over the other in general (knowing individual instruments have personalities all their own)?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I used to own a Waterloo WL-14L. I liked its tone overall, but I did not enjoy the strong V in the neck from day 1. I've played several 40s-50s LG-1's, and I prefer the necks on those for my hands. The tone on the LG-1's I've played have been all over the place. Some were pretty dead-sounding and others were very vibrant. My favorite LG-1's were vibrant yet dark, and I preferred those to the tone of the Waterloo. I've owned three different Waterloos, and after a while, they all were too bright or too brash for my taste in one way or another.

Between variation in tone and old-guitar issues that the Waterloos don't have, I would be very hesitant to order an old LG-1 without laying hands on it or getting a detailed in-hand description from someone I trust. Ordering Waterloos seems much safer that way.

Santa Cruz H, Martin D28A 1937, 000-28AA 1937, 000-15M, Fairbanks F-20NL, Walker Wise River
Old 01-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

The Gibson LG1 will have a number 2 pencil for a neck. I had one for a few weeks and moved it on.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

There are a couple neck profiles for the WL-14. I personally have never heard a LG1 that made me wanted to plunk down my cash. But I own and throughly enjoy my Waterloo WL-12.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:52 AM

Funnily enough I was discussing the similarities/differences between these guitars with another forum member last week. String spacing may also be worth considering - 2 3/8 on the Waterloo’s, that will be a fair bit narrower on the Lg1 I think.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:45 AM

I brought my Gibson L-1 1928 Blues Tribute to the local store to compare with a Waterloo WL-14 I had in mind.
Two different beasts, but I had the "feeling" they sounded quite the same... and they did !
So, I kept the iconic little Gibson and did not buy the Waterloo.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I brought my Gibson L-1 1928 Blues Tribute to the local store to compare with a Waterloo WL-14 I had in mind.
Two different beasts, but I had the "feeling" they sounded quite the same... and they did !
That surprises me. I would think the L-1 T would have more depth because of the deeper body. I've had a number of different Waterloos and I have been thinking about an L-1 tribute. Your thoughts have me rethinking this.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-22-2021, 10:10 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
So, I kept the iconic little Gibson and did not buy the Waterloo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
That surprises me. I would think the L-1 T would have more depth because of the deeper body. I've had a number of different Waterloos and I have been thinking about an L-1 tribute. Your thoughts have me rethinking this.
As an aside I have a L-1 Blues Tribute too. It's a very nice guitar. I bought it new in 2016 at Long and McQuade here in Ottawa. It was deeply discounted so I grabbed it!

Last edited by Guest 33123; 01-22-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:06 PM

I copied this from the other forum, CJB...for the other people not involved in that conversation, I have both the Waterloo WL-14L ladder braced and an old bowed neck 1952 Gibson LG1 I keep in Open D for slide.....

Here is a track I just recorded playing my ladder braced Waterloo WL-14L.....

Made for it!

(My poor old 52 LG1 would need thousand spent to sound/play anything like this!......neck set, fret job, cracks repaired, new tuners, new top, lots of glue!)

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/blues77bb

BluesKing777.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! Great stuff.
@bluesking777 is your Waterloo a tbar or adjustable truss rod version?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:15 PM

Adjustable truss rod! And it was the last one I ever saw at that shop...since...

Old photo below from when I first got it a few years back - it doesn't look as new now and it has a pickup plus mic poking out the soundhole... (traded a Martin OM I had for sale and nobody seem to want, after I got sick of waiting for it to sell - got a Hiscox case in the deal! On paper, a financial disaster but playing wise, this is perfect for my blues stuff!)

And what a trustworthy doggie, eh? Checking the saddle to see if it is bone. Yes!

52 LG1:

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 01-22-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
As an aside I have a L-1 Blues Tribute too. It's a very nice guitar. I bought it new in 2016 at Long and McQuade here in Ottawa. It was deeply discounted so I grabbed it!

That modern model is not ladder braced, eh Doug? Scalloped modern Gibson X braced?

BluesKing777.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:36 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
That modern model is scalloped X braced, not ladder braced, isn’t it?

BluesKing777.
Yeah it's scalloped X, not ladder.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:45 PM

Quick update on the Ladder pursuit: I got my hands on a well used Waterloo WL-14L with non adjustable truss rod several days ago.
From the first note I could tell it was 'somethin mighty differnt' as my dear old grandma used to say. It's immediate, round warm tone was exactly what I wanted to compliment my LG2. And it feels so alive too. Haven't been able to put it down since and I'm quite content now. It weighs only 3lb 2oz and feels like a toy when you pick it up. It's all black which I don't really like but I can overlook the look and love the tone. Oh yeah, the neck is also a prominent V that is incredibly comfy.

I'd still like to get my hands on a good LG1 and will have an opportunity in a few weeks when my local shop resurrects an old 60's model in need of major surgery.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarclay View Post
Quick update on the Ladder pursuit: I got my hands on a well used Waterloo WL-14L with non adjustable truss rod several days ago.
From the first note I could tell it was 'somethin mighty differnt' as my dear old grandma used to say. It's immediate, round warm tone was exactly what I wanted to compliment my LG2. And it feels so alive too. Haven't been able to put it down since and I'm quite content now. It weighs only 3lb 2oz and feels like a toy when you pick it up. It's all black which I don't really like but I can overlook the look and love the tone. Oh yeah, the neck is also a prominent V that is incredibly comfy.

I'd still like to get my hands on a good LG1 and will have an opportunity in a few weeks when my local shop resurrects an old 60's model in need of major surgery.

Congratulations!

Now you know what I have been flapping on about!

Maybe try a Martin CEO7 when you get a chance and you have THE trifecta!

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion