The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Storing Guitars

Good Day Friends,
I just moved into a new house. It has an edition off the back, lots of windows, it has a nice heater and the heater has a nice built in humidifier so i thought that would be a good room for my guitars to rest in as it has doors to the main house that can close and keep the humidity controlled in there. My question is, since the room is very bright is it safe to store my guitars in there? They will remain in the case if that makes a difference, otherwise i will need to find a place in the house for the guitars.

Thanks!
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 01-21-2021, 03:00 PM

The only potential issue I see is a room full of windows where the direct sun shines in might heat up those cases too much. Curtains would help. Keep the cases (with the guitars in them) out of direct sunlight.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I have an upstairs "bonus room" in a new retirement home in Florida where I keep my guitars. It has a separate HVAC system, so I can regulate temperature just for that room. However, it also has three large windows with a southeast exposure that, if left uncovered, would make my AC system work too hard. I chose vertical blinds to cover the windows, since I can easily control sunlight exposure by closing or angling the vertical panes. Not too expensive to buy, either.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 PM
Runaway Tomato

I agree with Drew. As long as you can keep them in cases and out of direct sunshine (curtains?) they should be OK out there.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-22-2021, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Have you monitored the room to determine how effective the humidifier on the heater is at maintaining an appropriate level? If the humidifier is inadequate, that could be an expensive lesson.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-22-2021, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I agree with Drew. As long as you can keep them in cases and out of direct sunshine (curtains?) they should be OK out there.
Cases in sunlight will cause the guitars to sweat. Not good.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:14 AM

I feel others may be a bit too alarmist. Do what you planned and just keep watch over things until you learn about your new home and the new weather it may have.

The window shades or curtains may be something you want to do anyhow. But if you'd rather not have them, I wouldn't do anything at first. Live with it a bit and then decide.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:12 AM

In NY, the winters will tend to lower the humidity due to prolonged heat being needed.

In summer, there may be excess humidity.

A hygrometer in one case would give you an overall reading of the rest of the cased guitars. You may need a humidifier for winter. Summer is easy, a simple sponge inside a small sandwich baggie, make a few small holes, moisten it slightly and you’re good to go.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-22-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

+1 on the hygrometer, not only inside the case of at least one guitar. But also, invest in a hygrometer for the room, which can monitor the temp and RH. If budget isn't an issue, I'd recommend SensorPush, which monitors 24x7 and pushes notifications right to your smart phone.

If they're in their case (not a requirement; all of mine are out on racks, stands, and wall hangers), and not in direct sunlight (for excessive heat), then you're probably ok. Just monitor the levels and adjust, as needed.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

If you’ve just moved in, I’d just check the room and the guitars frequently until you get a better sense of how well the room is insulated and how much of a swing in temperature and humidity it experiences. Adding something that charts or reports temp and humidity would be nice if you’re not at home much, otherwise, add it to your daily routine for a while -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion