The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 04:46 AM

Lisie, I agree with Bruce that it’ll make the “real guitar technician’s” job easier if you take the Taylor along with you when you take the Breedlove in to get set up: that will give him or her the exact parameters to follow, so your chances of getting the Breedlove’s action right where you want it are exponentially better.

I also agree that getting a bone saddle made while the Breedlove is in the shop for a set up is the perfect time to do it. But here are a couple of refinements I’d like to suggest:

1.) While the bone saddle is being made, ask that the original saddle be trimmed down so that it’s the same height as the new bone saddle. The reason for doing that is simple - you may or may not particularly like how the bone saddle makes the guitar sound. So it’s a good idea to get the original saddle usable on the off-chance that bone doesn’t work well on this guitar.

Most of my instruments have bone appointments, but more than once I’ve had to swap out a bone saddle for one made of Tusq or micarta when I found that a bone saddle made the guitar sound harsh or didn’t work well with an undersaddle pickup. So be prepared for that possibility.

The second thing I’d recommend is:

2.) Bring not one but two fresh sets of strings for the Breedlove when you take it into the repair tech to get set up. The reason for that is when a new saddle gets made and intonated, the person doing the work has to raise and lower the tension of the strings repeatedly as the new saddle gets carved and dialed in precisely. This raising and lowering of the tension is so that the intonation can be checked as the work progresses.

Nothing deadens the sound of strings faster than tuning up, then tuning them down, then repeating the process over and over.

So if you only provide or pay for one set of strings, they’re going to sound pretty dead once the set up is complete and you come to take the guitar home.

But if you bring along a second set of strings or agree to buy a second set from the shop where you get the work done, then a fresh set will get put on and the guitar will sound much better when you pick it up.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I think once you get it dialed in you’ll love it. Concerto is great design. Enjoy.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I am also a fan, and that is a beauty!!
All the best with it!

Old 09-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisieDee View Post
Oh man, that's good! I was a little worried tonight after playing it for about 30 minutes. The new strings are really stiff and it hasn't been properly set up. The E string is buzzing like crazy (possibly my technique after playing a Taylor Travel for a while!).

It has such a completely different sound from the Taylor and is going to take some getting used to.

To end my practice session, I went back to the Taylor for a few songs just to get my confidence back before calling it a night!

I should probably wait to play it until it's set up, but it's so hard to sit here and look at it and not pick it up.
I almost sent mine back because it didn't take to the G7th capo I had..(buzzing/muted strings)

I lowered the strings by a lot...Bought a Kieser capo and the guitar has been at my house for a couple of weeks..enough time for it to adjust to humidity in my home...
and it's a completely different guitar It's a keeper...
Old 09-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Nice. I love the abalone rosette and the tortoise binding, both features that I enjoy on my own Breedlove.

I'm surprised that Breedlove didn't spec a bone nut and saddle. My Pursuit Concert Red Cedar came with each. You may want to double check on that? If you didn't get a bone saddle, I recommend one.

Because of the bridge truss system, you may want to get your setup at a Breedlove dealer. A lot of techs at places like GC don't have a clue about that adjustment.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Nice looking guitar, congrats!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Well, congratulations! Very, very pretty guitar...

I have no doubts that it will be easy to play after a good set-up... you definitely want to communicate with the tech about how you're wanting the guitar to play, and I agree that taking the Taylor along is a good idea...

I wouldn't jump straight to a bone saddle off the bat. Get it set up well and play it for a few months, see how you like it as is, before going to a bone saddle.

Your guitar has a pickup, right? Under the saddle (a UST - under saddle transducer). I believe it is a Baggs Element pickup... and those impact the tone and volume of the guitar to a noticeable degree; IF you don't plan on playing the guitar "plugged in" much, if at all, I'd suggest you seriously consider having it taken out of the guitar - you can always put it back in, should you choose, or sell it for a decent amount of $$$, as the Element is a popular pickup for many folks.

If you decide to pull the pickup out of it, THEN would be a good time to have a bone saddle cut for it... but absolutely save the old saddle, as it will be very close to the perfect height if you put the pickup back into the guitar! The current saddle is cut to fit with that UST in there; a new saddle will have to be higher to adjust the height of the saddle correctly, which is no big deal but it will have to be done. The Element under the saddle has a certain thickness to it and the current saddle is cut to fit...

A bone saddle will make a difference in the tone, especially with that Element out of the equation; with the Element in the guitar, a saddle isn't going to do a whole lot, not what it will do without the UST. I've read many threads on this site where folks have replaced the saddle in their Taylors with a bone saddle and NOT been pleased with the result, so it's not some sort of "cure-all" to have a bone saddle... you may decide you like the sound better with the original saddle material (probably a hard plastic called Tusq); it wouldn't be the first time!

Don't know if you read my last reply on your original thread about the Breedlove, bu I would re-iterate that Kurt Dietrich, at Bullfrog Music in Corvallis, is a GREAT tech and charges far less than he could... plus he is intimately familiar with Breedloves of all sizes and models.

Looks like you got a good one, Lisie! May you play it for many thousands of hours, in both good health and circumstance!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-08-2019, 11:21 AM

That is a beauty of a guitar. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. I've played a couple of the Oregon Breedlove's in various Myrtlewood configurations and found them difficult to avoid purchasing Since you're already enjoying the tone, I wouldn't rush to swap out the saddle for bone. I've found there's no guarantee of improved tone, and in some cases the tone can be worse.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful Breedlove & Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Congratulations! Cedar topped Breedlove's are wonderful, complex sounding guitars. Enjoy it.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Congratulations! Cedar topped Breedlove's are wonderful, complex sounding guitars. Enjoy it.
I'm pretty sure that top is myrtle wood; laminate myrtle for the back and sides and solid myrtle for the top...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

The second thing I’d recommend is:

2.) Bring not one but two fresh sets of strings for the Breedlove when you take it into the repair tech to get set up.

Wade Hampton Miller
Great advice! I did purchase a couple sets of extra strings. My guitar was the floor model and had likely been played by many people...so I knew I'd need them.
Thanks!

Lisanne
Old 09-08-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Well, congratulations! Very, very pretty guitar...

Your guitar has a pickup, right?

Don't know if you read my last reply on your original thread about the Breedlove, bu I would re-iterate that Kurt Dietrich, at Bullfrog Music in Corvallis, is a GREAT tech and charges far less than he could... plus he is intimately familiar with Breedloves of all sizes and models.
Hi jseth,

Nope...no pickup on this guitar! At first I was a little disappointed that it didn't because it's a little extra bang for the buck, but then I realized that I'd likely never use it anyway, so...meh.

Funny thing. I went to Bullfrog a couple weeks ago and spent about an hour in there. I was on an anniversary date with my husband and he indulged me and even went into the shop with me!

The guy there was SO nice and I was planning to go back up and buy a guitar from him. He was getting in a shipment of Alvarez guitars and wanted me to try one.
I couldn't resist going to GC just to see what they had, and this guitar just wouldn't get out of my head afterwards!

I need to call Bullfrog and let them know...and I might just take the guitar of there for the work, (Hopefully he's not too offended!)

To be honest, I really, really hate Guitar Center in Eugene. I've gone in and sat in their guitar room for hours and never had one person ask to help me.
I had literally said to my husband a few day ago, "I wouldn't buy a guitar from them if they were the last shop in the state!"

My, how one beautiful guitar can change your mind!

As it was, I had to go and find someone, tell him that I wanted to buy this guitar. (He was a strange dude with long dreads who talked out of the side of his mouth and wouldn't look me in the eye....not once.) He mumbled something about going to see if there was one in a box and disappeared for about 30 minutes.
Then he came back and said that was the only one in the store...and rang it up for me.
He never asked if I wanted anything else...I had to tell another guy that I wanted some strings and picks to go with it.

Although it was a rather odd experience and their customer service sucked, I did finally (and very happily!) walk out their front door with my immediately beloved Breedlove.

I wish it had been Bullfrog that'd had this guitar! He'll get my business from here on out.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I'm pretty sure that top is myrtle wood; laminate myrtle for the back and sides and solid myrtle for the top...
You're correct. It's all Oregon Myrtle...
Old 09-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Nice. I love the abalone rosette and the tortoise binding, both features that I enjoy on my own Breedlove.

I'm surprised that Breedlove didn't spec a bone nut and saddle. My Pursuit Concert Red Cedar came with each. You may want to double check on that? If you didn't get a bone saddle, I recommend one.
SO, question: Is there a way to tell that's it's bone other than reading specs?

I'm not sure I could tell the difference...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion