The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Seagull Artist Studio Concert Hall

Has anyone played one of these? They look like beautiful guitars and are the size and materials I might look for in my second acoustic. Gently used prices seem to be pretty reasonable, too.

Anyone have experience?

http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/pro...nburst-element

Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 PM

I've had mine for about a year. I got it used but in mint condition - not a mark on it - for $900 from Elderly Instruments.

It's a really gorgeous guitar - all solid spruce and rosewood with an ebony fretboard and Adirondack bracing. The sound is beautiful - rich in the bass and with nice sparkle on the trebles. I consider it possibly the best bargain I've ever had. I've been through a variety of Gibsons, Taylors and Martins in this wood combination up to a cost of $4,000, but I'd put this guitar up alongside any of them.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:34 PM

I haven't played the Artist model, but i have played the S6 version. It was well made and felt and played great. A bit on the heavy side. It had a noticeable lack of low end though compared to other OM's. I really wanted to like it, as I was interested in the Mahogany topped model. I bought an Ac-240 instead, as it was a known quantity to me and I was not disappointed.

I'm sure the Artist's are in another league altogether.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-02-2017, 02:51 PM

This is a very similar model to the Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Folk. The concert hall is slightly larger at the lower bout and is standard scale if I remember correctly. The WPF is short scale and slotted headstock. Reviews say that the WPF has good base response for a 14 7/8 lower bout instrument.

The mom and pop store in my town has one of the Seagulls your talking about. It is beautiful and plays easily. It has a good, balanced sound. Lots of sustain. The MOP is limited and aesthetically pleasing.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
This is a very similar model to the Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Folk. The concert hall is slightly larger at the lower bout and is standard scale if I remember correctly. The WPF is short scale and slotted headstock. Reviews say that the WPF has good base response for a 14 7/8 lower bout instrument.

The mom and pop store in my town has one of the Seagulls your talking about. It is beautiful and plays easily. It has a good, balanced sound. Lots of sustain. The MOP is limited and aesthetically pleasing.
The Concert Hall is OM sized. The folk is more 00'ish and to my ears, not nearly as loud.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've had mine for about a year. I got it used but in mint condition - not a mark on it - for $900 from Elderly Instruments.

It's a really gorgeous guitar - all solid spruce and rosewood with an ebony fretboard and Adirondack bracing. The sound is beautiful - rich in the bass and with nice sparkle on the trebles. I consider it possibly the best bargain I've ever had. I've been through a variety of Gibsons, Taylors and Martins in this wood combination up to a cost of $4,000, but I'd put this guitar up alongside any of them.
Thanks! I am grateful for the firsthand review!

I'd really like to have one, just trying to find a place to play one locally. Hope to post a NGD about it one day
Old 03-29-2019, 11:21 AM

I bought the Seagull Artist Studio Concert Hall Element Sunburst a couple weeks ago, used mint condition on Reverb. Very excited about it, it may become my favorite guitar. I've owned about 25 guitars over the decades. This Seagull is warm, rich, sweet, yet robust and very comfortable. Just what I've been looking for. I like it better than the Martin 000 and OM rosewoods I've been trying to like in recent months. Congratulations to Seagull Canada for this guitar.

Last edited by calstang66; 03-29-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
I bought the Seagull Artist Studio Concert Hall Element Sunburst a couple weeks ago, used mint condition on Reverb. Very excited about it, it my become my favorite guitar. I've owned about 25 guitars over the decades. This Seagull is warm, rich, sweet, yet robust and very comfortable. Just what I've been looking for. I like it better than the Martin 000 and OM rosewoods I've been trying to like in recent months. Congratulations to Seagull Canada for this guitar.

That’s a cool looking guitar as well- best looking Seagull has ever released. That guitar even makes the odd headstock look great!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
This is a very similar model to the Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro
The Seagull Artist is a step above the S & P Woodland Pro. It is similar to the S & P Showcase. They are both top of the line.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 PM

Three Seagulls here; all three are really nice playing, great sounding guitars. The Walnut Mini Jumbo just gets better and better the more it is played. Love me them Seagulls!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:56 PM

Don't have any Seagulls but have to say that's a good lookin' guitar!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
That’s a cool looking guitar as well- best looking Seagull has ever released.
Possibly so, although the new Artist Peppino Bourbon Burst is pretty hot as well, plus it has bourbon in its name so there's that . . .

I'd love to try the Concert Hall; I've got two of the Artist Series and both are just fabulous guitars. Not "blinged out" (thankfully), but rock solid performers that will always hang on my wall.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-08-2019, 03:40 AM

Default Waht strings is everyone using on this guitar

I have had one of these for over a year. Love it, although the bass is a tad thin. What I am curious about is the type of strings that everyone is using. I have tried the following:

Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze (too thin for my liking)
John Pearse 600L (nice and bright and they project well)
Cleartone Phosphor bronze 12's (nice tone but didn't last well)
Elixirs Phosphor Bronze 12's (lasted well, but I find them a bit dull sounding)

I am looking for strings that sound a bit deeper and that accentuate the lower end a bit. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried Spectrum Strings? Also, what about D'Addario EXP 26's?

I wuld be interested in any insight or suggestions.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatguy View Post
I have had one of these for over a year. Love it, although the bass is a tad thin. What I am curious about is the type of strings that everyone is using. I have tried the following:

Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze (too thin for my liking)
John Pearse 600L (nice and bright and they project well)
Cleartone Phosphor bronze 12's (nice tone but didn't last well)
Elixirs Phosphor Bronze 12's (lasted well, but I find them a bit dull sounding)

I am looking for strings that sound a bit deeper and that accentuate the lower end a bit. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried Spectrum Strings? Also, what about D'Addario EXP 26's?

I wuld be interested in any insight or suggestions.
I've been shocked how much I like DR Sunbeams lights. They are loud, last a good long time for an uncoated string, and retain great playability. Bass response seems pretty good with them too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion