The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-31-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Anyone think the Astro's coach brought in the wrong pitcher (Harris) to replace Greinke? The coach had mentioned he would bring in Cole if such a situation arose but then didn't.[/QUOTE]

I think Greinke was so effective he should've been allowed to work his way out of the situation....
Old 10-31-2019, 08:55 PM

Wow way more second guessing, what-iffing and post-game speculation than I would have thought. Washington played better in 4 games. Houston played better in 3 games. In the end, that's all that happened and all that matters. A great record breaking/setting World Series.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
Anyone think the Astro's coach brought in the wrong pitcher (Harris) to replace Greinke? The coach had mentioned he would bring in Cole if such a situation arose but then didn't

I think Greinke was so effective he should've been allowed to work his way out of the situation....
They had their substitution situation worked out in advance, but circumstances changed the flow. Greinke got gassed and was fading fast. He was succeeding on guile alone. They had intended to bring Cole in at the beginning of an inning. So, they needed someone to fill in and finish out the 7th with the intent to bring Cole in at the start of the 8th. Their guy just got tagged. It happens. That home run off a pitch that was low and away was a one-in-a-zillion shot. But, it didn't lose them the game. It was sloppy pitching and fielding in the top of the 9th that killed them. Given it to do all over again, they might have pulled Greinke at the top of the 7th and inserted Cole at that point.

On the other hand, the Nats just won, because that's what they do.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
They had their substitution situation worked out in advance, but circumstances changed the flow. Greinke got gassed and was fading fast. He was succeeding on guile alone. They had intended to bring Cole in at the beginning of an inning. So, they needed someone to fill in and finish out the 7th with the intent to bring Cole in at the start of the 8th. Their guy just got tagged. It happens. That home run off a pitch that was low and away was a one-in-a-zillion shot. But, it didn't lose them the game. It was sloppy pitching and fielding in the top of the 9th that killed them. Given it to do all over again, they might have pulled Greinke at the top of the 7th and inserted Cole at that point.

On the other hand, the Nats just won, because that's what they do.

Hmmm I have to respectfully disagree... Scherzer was grinding from the very first inning... when he pitched... Greinke thru one bad pitch for a Hr and walked one guy... Obviously I'm not the Mgr and he knows better, but I would've allowed Greinke to stay a little longer... I wasn't convinced he was gassed.... not after pitching as well as he did.... keeping guys off balance and such. If he looked tired the inning prior, I could see it, but he was strong all the way thru.... I am happy the Nats won though.... They really know how to grind !
Old 11-01-2019, 09:05 AM

In a few weeks all this will fade and in a couple of months teams will be adding and dropping players for next season. The odds makers are already posting next year's long shots and most likely. For Nats fans enjoy the moment because, for obvious reasons you might not be back next year.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic