The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDogFishRat View Post
Thanks everybody for your replies. I have decided to return the guitar it was purchased from eBay and the seller has accepted the return. Its great that there is so much experience, knowledge and different opinions on this forum.
That's awesome. I'm happy for you. Your next guitar won't look like that. Almost looked like snot to me. Yuck.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:34 PM

Just to answer a question posted above, a lot of pickup systems require a 9v battery that is mounted to the inside of the guitar with adhesive-backed velcro. If you remove the velcro, it will leave behind sticky residue like that. To me it’s not an issue at all.

I was more interested in the bad smell. To me that’s a much bigger issue that’s much harder to deal with. Not knowing (or really wanting to know) what the bad smell is, it sounds like you made the right call in returning it.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 PM

I agree completely; I think a Velcro-mounted preamp and battery holder is exactly what used to be there, and I also think the stink is a bigger problem.

Anyway, since the seller has agreed to the return, it’s moot. Better luck with your next guitar purchase, CatDog.

whm
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 PM

I also agree that a foul smell is a bigger turnoff than the gunk. One of the best things about my 000-15sm is the wonderful smell of cedar and mahogany. I would hate to suddenly find myself repulsed by the smell of it.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I've never heard of a pick-up being glued to anything. Help me, and the OP to understand this further....

He got a good picture of it. Did he use a mirror to take the photograph.??
OK, time to take a breath and relax. As others have pointed out, this looks like residue from a pickup that was installed at some point. This type of pickup is called a soundboard transducer. I had one installed in one of my guitars. Mine was the K&K Pure Mini, and if the OP's guitar is any like mine, these glue spots are tiny (less than 1/2 inch), and the impact on tone as well as cosmetics is zero. In order to see them, you have to snake a camera inside the body, as they are located on the underside of the soundboard. Once the pickup is installed, it is invisible, and if I hadn't been the first owner of the guitar, I would have never even known the pickup was ever there.

Of course, I have no way of knowing what exactly the OP's glue spots look like, and what exact pickup type had been installed there.

EDIT: I see the issue has been resolved. Good.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 03-23-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDogFishRat View Post
I do appreciate what you’re saying but this wasn’t the only issue. It was sold as being in good condition with play wear but the entire back of the neck has scratches and dents which you can feel when you play across the whole neck. There is also the smell issue which would be hard not to notice. If the stain was the only issue I would have kept the guitar because it does sound really great but I know if I keep it I won’t be able to enjoy it properly.
I understand now why you are returning the guitar. In the first post, only the glue residue inside was mentioned which was a non-issue for most of us.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion