The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I I know, i know. But it hurts so bad when you turn, then bam! The corner of a table or counter.... or maybe a zipper or you drop your keys on the sound board! [emoji31]

How do ya get over it??!!!
I usually say several really bad words in a row to start!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

I care for my guitars extremely carefully, because I'm aware that they will need to be sold off when I'm gone, and I also like my guitars clean.

Nevertheless, I have no guitars with no scratches, dings or gouges.

I once ordered a custom Huss and Dalton. It had a beautiful dark tobacco sunburst.

However the finish was so soft that simply pressing it with a finger (not nail) would cause a permanent dent.

The dealer and I spent so much time and effort trying to get it playable that by the time we gave up the finish had sustained too many dents and finish faults that it couldn't be sold as new.

I since managed to replace it with a Santa Cruz which has a similar dark burst, and I confess that I'm a bit scared of damaging it.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:35 PM

Default Scratches, dings and gouges..

My little marr cant even be seen unless the shine of the light is on it. I'm sure just a little more whining and whimpering and i'll get over it.

Of course if it were a $300 guitar, id be fine. But add that tiny zero on the end and the pain thickens...
Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever damage their beautiful perfect guitar. I just slightly marred the gloss finish with the fingernail. I had a 10 second freak-out! Zoom way in on the point of the pick guard, was trying to get that little orange fuzz out of there from the micro fiber cloth i use. Never was a fan of pick guards. Sorry to bring up those bad moments, send a pic.

What scratch? I see the fuzz you were trying to remove but what scratch? Your real freak out is yet to come.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
What scratch? I see the fuzz you were trying to remove but what scratch? Your real freak out is yet to come.

Thanks!! Thats both encouraging and dis-couraging. Its all good..
Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
...I just slightly marred the gloss finish with the fingernail. I had a 10 second freak-out! Zoom way in on the point of the pick guard, ...
Sorry man, I don't see it. If that caused you to freak out, I hope you never get a real ding.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 PM

My recent D-18 has a little ding thanks to my two-year-old daughter. The first of what will likely be several. All my guitars have at least a couple dings or scratches or imperfections of some sort somewhere. I care for my guitars, but I also like to play them, especially around and for my kids. I will even let my kids hold them and strum away at them sometimes, including my Fairbanks!

I figure it’s more important for my kiddos to have memories of me and my hobby than to have pristine instruments, and if risking a perfect finish makes it that much more likely that they’re eventually able to play these guitars someday, then it’s totally and completely worth any “relic” work the instruments get along the way.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Anyone ever damage their beautiful perfect guitar. I just slightly marred the gloss finish with the fingernail. I had a 10 second freak-out! Zoom way in on the point of the pick guard, was trying to get that little orange fuzz out of there from the micro fiber cloth i use. Never was a fan of pick guards. Sorry to bring up those bad moments, send a pic.

I don't know what to say...really.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
How do ya get over it??!!!
Well, you tell yourself, "There's the first one," and you don't worry so much about the next ones.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 03-21-2019, 07:13 PM

Dings and scratches do happen, unfortunately. I never was a fan of micro-fibre cloth. Give me a good cotton cloth any day over those things.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Guest 33123

I ran my StewMac straight edge right into the back of the neck of my L-1 the other day. Not into the wood but it's long and deep. You can see it and feel it easily. I've experienced 34 years of dings but that one hurt. I'm thinking about getting it fixed when I take it to the shop next month. I never nailed the back of a neck before and I can't say I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 03-21-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 PM

There's almost no better feeling than after banging your guitar and hearing a loud bonk sound you look and find out that it didn't mark it at all.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 PM

OK, a bit of empathy. Nobody likes to get damage to their instruments.
I can remember the first dings on every guitar I ever owned. So, I get your concern. A normal person will try to be careful and avoid scars. But you ARE going to get some. The longer you have a guitar, the more likely you will ding it in some way. I don't think cavalier attitudes serve any purpose. Yeah, Willie's guitar is cool, but if it didn't belong to Willie, it would be so much junk.

Do the best you can. Case your guitar when you are not playing it. Try to avoid bad environments. Don't loan your guitars. Avoid big belt buckles. Be careful of ringdings.

When you do get a mark, nick, finish booger, know it is part of playing.

I really wonder when I see a 10 year old guitar in mint condition. Was it purchased just to be looked at?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 PM

Just bought a really nice Martin 000-17 here on AGF. It has a small nick on the lower bout. I am so so relieved to know that its already damaged and not perfect anymore. Now I can add to its character if I accidentally nick it again. I knew it had that nick and bought it anyway knowing that the price would reflect that the guitar was beginning to gain some character.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Sorry man, I don't see it. If that caused you to freak out, I hope you never get a real ding.

Yeah, you cant see it at all in the pic. The lights not on it.

Anyway, all these replies are extremely helpful. Just knowing i'm not the only one. I guess the same goes for a brand new truck or car.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion