The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Question about string buzzing

I recently purchased a 2017 Froggy Bottom guitar that I love, but it has a slight "problem" that is a bit annoying. When I use a capo on the 2nd fret (only the 2nd fret), there is occasional string buzzing on the high E string. This happens when I do at least a medium to medium/heavy strum. No other frets have the issue when I use a capo, and without a capo, there is no issue either.

I have found that if I really tighten the capo (when using it on the 2nd fret), there is no buzzing.

Should I be concerned? My hunch is I may have slightly uneven frets and/or need more neck relief (to heighten the action a bit). But again, if I tighten the capo sufficiently, there is no buzzing whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Interesting, as I had the same thing happening with my Furch just the other day; although it was on the G string. After tweaking my capo position continually, I just switched to a capo that had a little more tension and the buzz went away. Prior to that I had loosened the truss rod very slightly which helped a little but didn't completely take the buzz away.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Do you place the capo just behind the fret ?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Ed. Interesting to hear that even a truss rod adjustment didn't completely address the buzzing.

mawmow - yes, even when placing the capo near the fret (just behind the fret), it doesn't remove the buzzing. I've tried different placements and the only resolution is to provide a lot of tension (tighten the capo). On my other guitars, and on other frets of the same guitar, I do not need to tighten the capo so much. That's why it's puzzling.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:53 AM

The third fret (or another higher up) is a little high under the high e.
When you overtighten the capo, it lowers the string on that side of the fret, and due to the stiffness of the string, it SLIGHTLY raises the string on the other side of the fret, which eliminates the buzz.
Truss rod adjustment will have to be extreme to have much effect that high up the neck.
One or two strokes with a file on the high part of the high fret should solve the problem.
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 03-21-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, Rodger! I will give that a try. Makes sense to me, esp the way you explained it. Appreciate the help.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM

I agree with what Rodger said. Probably not caused by or could be corrected by the truss rod adjustment. I would check for high/low frets in that area. Use a straight edge that spans three frets (credit card works) and see if you get any rocking. It doesn't take much to cause a buzz.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Excellent tip regarding using a credit card to pin-point the culprit fret(s). Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:00 PM

Also remember that redressing one fret can then lead to the next fret being high and then there can be a buzz there. That one will need a little work and then the next one may cause a problem. Not hard to fix but worth being aware off
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 03-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Maybe try another capo just in case that's the culprit?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion