The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin 000RSG/000-13E vs. Eastman E1OM

After much consideration, my next guitar will most probably be a 000 due to its more comfortable body, shorter scale, and wider nut than the Seagull S6 I currently own.

I've tried many - of those within my budget, the Martin 000RSG (now 000-13E) was my favorite but it pushes the budget limit a bit. I've also considered the Eastman E1OM which, despite its OM moniker, seems to have pretty much the same dimensions and similar specs. Unfortunately, none of the supposed Eastman dealers in the area stock this model (or any Eastman OMs for that matter). The advantage of the Eastman is that it's a few hundred cheaper than the Martin and has a solid reputation. The advantage of the Martin is that I know I like its tone, it comes with a pickup, and, well, it's a Martin.

(BTW, the new Fishman electronics in the 2019 Road Series is pretty cool - I was able to try one in a GP model a dealer had just received).

Soooooo... I'm soliciting your insights and opinions. Thanks!

P.S. While I was checking out guitars, I tried a Taylor 322e. Way out of my price range, but this is the Taylor I'd want if I'm ever in a position to own one. Superb, deep tone, easy playability, and absolutely gorgeous!!

Last edited by personatech; 03-20-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM

What is exactly the amount you are willing or able to spend on this guitar purchase? There are quite a few differences in the models you are interested especially price. The E1OM can be had for around $450-$500 compared to $1,000 -$1,100 for the 000-13E. And then the Taylor 322E around $1,800-$1,900. Have you thought of a E6OM Eastman that runs arounds $800 new?
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-20-2019, 04:42 PM

What Tom said. You could even be looking at an Eastman E8om or even a Eastman E10om for what the Martin costs. Ted at L.A. guitars would probably give you 15% off the street price on these Eastman guitars. He has always given me a good deal. Check him out. And for a Hundred bucks you could put a K&K pure mini pick up in it. In my opinion these are one of the most natural sounding pick ups I have heard. I have one in all my guitars except the Yamahas of course. Another awesome sounding guitar is the Yamaha AC3M. And the pick ups in them are really nice too. For 800 bucks it's a lot of guitar. Hope this helps you decide. Keep us posted. Check out the reviews at Sweetwater on the Yamaha AC3M. They are pretty spot on.

Last edited by baw3; 03-20-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
What is exactly the amount you are willing or able to spend on this guitar purchase? There are quite a few differences in the models you are interested especially price. The E1OM can be had for around $450-$500 compared to $1,000 -$1,100 for the 000-13E. And then the Taylor 322E around $1,800-$1,900. Have you thought of a E6OM Eastman that runs arounds $800 new?
My budget would preferably be $600-700 but I could scrape up some extra cash if the right guitar came along. I'm not considering the Taylor, just very, very impressed with it.

Yes, I've considered a used E6OM or E8OM.

I suspect that if I put off my decision for a month or so, some 000-13Es might pop up locally (although it'll be a while before any used copies hit the market). I suspect I could score a new 13E for under $1K from a sponsor.

I suppose my OP really should have asked whether there's a significant difference between the Eastman and Martin to justify the additional cost of the Martin. Since the only Eastman I've ever tried was a beat up AC122, it's hard for me to make that call.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
What Tom said. You could even be looking at an Eastman E8om or even a Eastman E10om for what the Martin costs. Ted at L.A. guitars would probably give you 15% off the street price on these Eastman guitars. He has always given me a good deal. Check him out. And for a Hundred bucks you could put a K&K pure mini pick up in it. In my opinion these are one of the most natural sounding pick ups I have heard. I have one in all my guitars except the Yamahas of course. Another awesome sounding guitar is the Yamaha AC3M. And the pick ups in them are really nice too. For 800 bucks it's a lot of guitar. Hope this helps you decide. Keep us posted. Check out the reviews at Sweetwater on the Yamaha AC3M. They are pretty spot on.
Thanks, but the AC3M has a long scale neck doesn't it? I'm focusing more on trying a shorter scale (< 25") with a wider nut (1 3/4") than what I have now. I'll check out LA Guitar Sales though about the Eastmans.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Oh yeah, Then you really need to look to the Eastman OMs then. I actually owned the E6om for a little while and it was a really nice sounding guitar. I gave it to my son in law cause he needed a guitar to play at his church that had a pick up in it. I have been missing it so I actually just ordered an Eastman E10om from Ted at LA guitars just yesterday. I'm supposed to get it around Friday or Monday. Really looking forward to it. If you really want the 24.9 scale and the 1 3/4 nut than the Eastman is the way to go. I just looked on Teds site and he has one of the E6om's in stock. His street price 839, but he sold me mine for less than that. I think it was about 700 bucks. I can't remember for sure. Anyway, if you decide to try one and you don't like it you have a few days to return it. I have a feeling you would probably be happy with it. But like you hear on here all the time, sound is a subjective thing. I really liked mine. Good luck with your search. Keep us posted.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again! I'm certainly giving the Eastmans a lot of thought. Anyone else care to chime in with advice?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

''The advantage of the Martin is that I know I like its tone''

Case closed!

You can get the 000rsg/000-13e for just over $900 from our forum sponsors. I've played one a few times and it's a great guitar.

The problem with Eastman's is that you have to take a flyer on what you are going to get. They are just not around to test.

If you want the Martin tone, get the Martin tone. If you get something cheaper, you'll still be yearning for the Martin tone.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:44 PM

I own both Martin and Eastman guitars and i enjoy both. For me to get that classic Martin tone is my 00-18 and maybe the 000-15m. I personally think you're really stretching the point of the classic Martin tone in the Road Series line. I used to own a 000RS1 all sapele guitar that was on the quiet side but i got it as a guitar to build my chops on.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in owning the 000-13E, it's a fine guitar in it's own right, but i think for the same price point an E series Eastman is a better all around value. Or why buy a used Martin when you can get a new Eastman for the same money. YMMV. JMO.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 PM

I have also been considering the Martin 000-13E and the Eastman E6OM, but I really would like to be able to do a hands-on comparison of the respective tones and also for the feel of the necks. Unfortunately this does not seem to be a possibility because of the limited distribution of the Eastman's in my area. The number of different models of guitars offered by the manufacturers is staggering but the 000, 25" scale, spruce top, and 1-3/4" nut is my sweet spot also. I have a laminated back and sides model by another manufacturer, I wish I was satisfied but as others have mentioned the problem is "it's not a Martin".
Old 04-08-2019, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

The Martin will be less likely to have bad frets, hump in the board, and bridge issues. I’ve owned four Eastmans. Two had issues that needed correcting before I could even sell them.

Mandolins? Diff story for some reason. Amazed at their quality.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
After much consideration, my next guitar will most probably be a 000 due to its more comfortable body, shorter scale, and wider nut than the Seagull S6 I currently own.

I've tried many - of those within my budget, the Martin 000RSG (now 000-13E) was my favorite but it pushes the budget limit a bit. I've also considered the Eastman E1OM which, despite its OM moniker, seems to have pretty much the same dimensions and similar specs. Unfortunately, none of the supposed Eastman dealers in the area stock this model (or any Eastman OMs for that matter). The advantage of the Eastman is that it's a few hundred cheaper than the Martin and has a solid reputation. The advantage of the Martin is that I know I like its tone, it comes with a pickup, and, well, it's a Martin.

(BTW, the new Fishman electronics in the 2019 Road Series is pretty cool - I was able to try one in a GP model a dealer had just received).

Soooooo... I'm soliciting your insights and opinions. Thanks!

P.S. While I was checking out guitars, I tried a Taylor 322e. Way out of my price range, but this is the Taylor I'd want if I'm ever in a position to own one. Superb, deep tone, easy playability, and absolutely gorgeous!!
I just played a 000-13, and was very impressed by its Martin character. I also have owned an Eastman AC-708 for a number of years, which has a higher end spec that the 000-13. My Eastman has more projection, but is somewhat drier sounding than the Martin. I A/B'd them for and hour at my local shop. I'm seriously considering the 000-13 because I miss the harmonic richness that defines Martin to me. I went through a business loss recently and sold all my higher end Martins to make ends meet including my 1923 00-18. The 000-13 looks like a reasonably priced (for Martin) good guitar to re-enter the world of Martin with.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Update: I purchased a like-new E1OM at a can't-go-wrong price (I'm sure there's an NGD post about it somewhere). Love it!

Someday, I may own a Martin, but for now I'm happy with the Eastman.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 PM

Congrats. As a Martin/Eastman owner, that's what I would have done. In fact, my last purchase was between a 000-15S and an E10OM and I bought the Eastman. No regrets. As a matter of fact I think I'm going to go play it now [emoji38]
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 08-29-2019, 06:01 AM

The Eastman is a very good guitar but...you said you liked the Martin "tone.
Seems like that's the way for you to go.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion