The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2019, 06:01 PM

As a relatively new player, but life-long music lover, it's interesting to consider how my perceptions of great guitar players have both stayed the same and grown.

My several years of playing have confirmed what I suspected before I began playing: fast, intricate playing requires a high degree of skill and technique that comes through hours and hours of dedicated practice. Players who fly up and down the fretboard don't get to that level by accident.

Where my appreciation has grown is for those players who seem to be able to coax so much emotion and musicality out of very simple progressions and melodies. As I learned to play some of my favourite songs, I really came to understand that having your fingers in the right place at the right time accounts for such a small portion of the expressiveness that I think all great guitar music shares, whatever the genre might be. I think it's special when a player is able to communicate something perfectly through simple playing.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 PM

The more I play, the more I appreciate singer-songwriters. I appreciate folk artist and bluegrass artists more, as well. From early Paul Simon, to Nick Drake, to Pete Townshend ("Sunrise" off Sell Out, for example)... To Paul Weller... Roddy Frame... Neil Finn.... To Foy Vance... Lucy Kaplansky... I could go on and on (James Taylor!)... The more I play, the more I find myself diving into artists who have perfected the acoustic guitar as a singer-songwriting tool.

I also love the different tone woods, shapes, scales and sizes. Never thought much about these things, as a teen!

As for my playing... I'm content being what I am. For now!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
I really came to understand that having your fingers in the right place at the right time accounts for such a small portion of the expressiveness that I think all great guitar music shares, whatever the genre might be.
Sometimes the timing part is a pretty big piece, though.

Trying to get "Fire and Rain" down halfway decent underscores all this:

Learn the fingering.

Learn the timing.

Learn which notes to emphasize when.

I don't doubt that the last one really makes the song, and may be the hardest to "get right" but the timing is a big part of it and is eluding me at the moment.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Guitar playing is simply moving three or four fingers around in a small area. How difficult can that be?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've been working in the last week on MM Murphey's "Wildfire," a song I have loved for decades. I used to play it in F position, but it never sounded right. Recently, through several YT vids, I learned the actually chords he uses, starting with a wonderful sort of E modal chord on the seventh fret.

My point is, I've been playing more than 40 years, but I'm always learning new things. And this chord is quite a chore for me to adapt to. What is so valuable for all of us to remember is how important practice and the training of muscle memory is. This puppy will take several more weeks to iron out, but it's coming.

My Two Cents,
Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion