The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Old dreadnought

I am using extra light strings out of respect for my fifty-year-old dreadnought. Would it be beneficial, tone-wise, to try heavier gauge strings, or is it not worth the risk? I would welcome any advice.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Give it a go. I wouldn’t try heavy right now just do mediums and see how they do
Old 02-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
I am using extra light strings out of respect for my fifty-year-old dreadnought. Would it be beneficial, tone-wise, to try heavier gauge strings, or is it not worth the risk? I would welcome any advice.
You could try tuning down 1/2 step to E flat and use Martin's light-mediums. You would be just heavier than lights and still get a full sound.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:49 PM

There are several makers offering 'low-tension' string sets now - gives you the tonal benefits of thicker gauge strings without the added tension.

-Newtone Heritage
-SUS (Straight Up Strings)
-Santa Cruz Strings

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-21-2019, 02:50 PM

Having listened to Tony Polecastro's You Tube comparison, I found myself liking the D'Addario Custom Lights of the four sets on the J45 he used to test them.That set would be 52-42-32-24-15-11 gauges.I have a set on order right now to try on my J45 for fun.
Personally, I thought the Medium Gauge were the least appealing sound wise. So did most of those who commented.
They were louder, but not by much and they had no character when used on that guitar...sounded pretty dead to me.
If you feel you are missing something, why not give it a go. It's not that expensive for a test that's for sure.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-21-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
What leads you to be concerned about risk? Any issues with the action, a bridge lift or strange noises? Most dreads can handle up to 13’s.

If you have any real concerns, get it checked out by a person who knows old guitars.

(I have had a ‘48 D-18 and have a ‘46 J-45. I use Bluegrass gauge - Light tops, Medium bottom strings because I like the tone. Never had issues.)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Dreds are big and to drive the big tops often benefit from heavier strings. Wood doesn't really fatigue with age, in fact as it looses moisture content it gets stronger. Barring anything like fungus or rot the bracing is pretty much as strong or stronger as it was the day it was glued in. So if it's still glued in properly you should be ok. You can have a tech look inside to be sure or even do it yourself.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi, I think that you are unnecessarily babying your mature dread.

It was designed as a big boomy rhythm guitar. People used to use heavy gauge to get the power, but they really weren't necessary, but medium gauge is appropriate for a dread.

I believe that a large top benefits tonally by being driven by medium, or bluegrass gauge strings, but if you are using your guitar for light fingerstyle or some such, then maybe lights might suffice.

I understand that you are trying to avoid a neck reset, but at the expense of tone?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I've got a 71 year old dreadnought than handles mediums just fine. Actual has never occurred to me to use anything else.

D
Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

As is the general consensus so far, I don't think they'll hurt your guitar physically however not all guitars like heavier strings. My J-45 and Taylor 710 sound their best with light gauge strings. The one guitar that I do have that is much happier with medium gauge strings is my Ibanez AVC6 which is a Grand Concert. I did have a Martin DM dread for a while that really came to life with medium gauge strings.

So yeah you're safe to try them but you may find that you like other gauges better.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Nothing wrong with using light or even extra light gauge strings on your dread. That being said I just installed a brand new set of medium gauge (.013-.056) Martin Marquis 80/20 Bronze on my 43 year old 1976 Morris W604M dread without issues. It has super low action and sounds beautiful.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:14 PM

If the bridge and tuners are in good condition you should be okay with mediums.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Mediums sound great on a D-18. I've had them on my new D-18 but my fingers strongly object, especially the trebles which cut into my fingertips. Today I replaced the medium e, b, and G with lights but kept mediums for the E, A, and D.

We'll see if the experiment is successful.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
You could try tuning down 1/2 step to E flat and use Martin's light-mediums. You would be just heavier than lights and still get a full sound.
Plus also use low tension strings together with this strategy
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion