The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Talking I just ordered a Larry Brown L00, enroute to me

I resurrected this thread I stumbled on while searching for Larry Brown's website. I recently ordered one of his last (2) L00's he has in stock, it just shipped out today. I am very stoked with his work and the sound clip I included below is amazing, very bright and balanced tone.

I play old blues and have always wanted a 30's LOO, but they are hard to find in good shape and are so pricey. I like his adjustable neck that is patterned off a mid 1800's martin patent so you can adjust the neck angle literally between songs if you want.

I am really excited about my new guitar and will make a new thread after I have her for a bit. Without being to spammy, if anyone wants one, Larry has one left now direct from him and he is about to restructure his business and will be selling through 3rd party distributors who will be marking them up quite a bit more.

Enjoy this sound clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8Q1tRuV7Bh4
Old 02-19-2019, 02:03 PM

You are gonna LOVE IT
His L 00's are fantastic
Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

He has also made size 2 parlor guitars and Dreadnaughts. His size two parlor is a romantic LaCote style Instrument.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! I love the small parlor, it has an incredible sound. Maybe down the road I would think about one.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:12 AM

http://larrybrownguitars.wixsite.com/mysite
Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I started following Larry on Facebook a year or so ago after I learned of his guitars. He seems to be a really good guy and builds beautiful guitars (he's also a very skilled repair tech). His guitars seem to be a real bargain considering what you're getting. I'm looking forward to a good review from someone who's an actual owner.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM

I'm nearby to Larry Brown also.

He was interviewed on the local public radio station last Sunday evening. He discussed his instruments and picked guitar and mandolin live accompanied by the host Wayne Erbsen.

He is quite the good old time picker.

Larry makes his guitars in batches, so there is pretty good availability when he has them.

I'm curious about his LG2 or L00 myself.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

He seems like a wonderful craftsman and a real nice guy too...I live about 20 minutes from him...I gotta go sniff around shop sometime! His L-00 is supposed to be a great little guitar.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Nice to hear all these good things about Larry. He has been very personable and seems like a wonderful guy to do business with. I am so excited and will wait a few weeks to get over my honeymoon stage and write up a review for others to read.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:33 PM

I've owned one of Larry's L-00 Nick-Lucas models for a while now (L-00 body with NL inlays), and it's terrific. I think it's the same one pictured on his website. The adjustable neck is a great feature. I got mine after selling, many years ago, my 1936 L-00 and then coming to regret it (seemed like the right thing to do at the time!). Larry's sounds as good--lively, nice depth, clear fundamentals--but unlike my original, it has perfect intonation.
Funny, though, I've just recently been thinking about selling the LB-00. I've been playing larger instruments lately, and it's not getting the playtime it deserves. I reckon I'll regret that, too!

Stef
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 PM

Digging up this thread again, rather than starting a new one. I’m in the process of possibly working out a trade with the last poster, Stef, for his Larry Brown L00. Figured I’d ask now to see if anyone has any recent experience with these guitars, as well as L00s, in general. I’m a big Rodney Crowell fan, and do music in a similar vein, and I’d like to think this would work for me as a fingerstyle/light strumming accompaniment instrument to my voice. Any thoughts?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion