The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 PM

I ended passing on the Maestros because I found out they all have narrow string spacing and 1 11/16 necks which is a non starter for me.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawil View Post
That's what I didn't like about it as well. Everything else is top-notch.
I'm pretty certain their necks are not that thick.. (nut width 1 11/16")

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 08-03-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albirw View Post
I'm pretty certain their necks are not that thick.. (nut width 1 11/16")
I think they're talking about the neck profile.

well, it depends on which model you can get your hands on. they make both thin and thick necks.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Default Maestro OM-CO

Hi, all. New to the forum and came across this thread. I have a Maestro OM-CO (meaning cocobolo back and sides). The guitar has an Adirondack top, koa binding and a mahogany neck with a slotted peg-head, and the cocobolo is pari-colored and quite beautiful. Apparently, the guitar was custom-made for NAAM 2017. I played it on a whim at The Guitar Store in Seattle (one of the few US dealers), and wound up taking it home for a very reasonable price, given its value.

It's a *wonderful* instrument -- the kind of hand-built luthier guitar that would cost at least double if made in the States. The workmanship throughout is excellent (and my friend and local master luthier Alan Perlman couldn't believe the price point). The tone is balanced and forward -- and surprising loud for its OM size. It's also quite versatile -- I can play it finger-style (though it lacks the finesse of a purely finger-style instrument) but also with a flat pick, where it definitely can hold its own and be heard in a jam.

If there are drawbacks, they are that it's heavy for its size with the weight tilting toward the neck, and it's persnickety about staying in tune with consistent intonation, especially when capo'ed. But those are minor critiques of an instrument that is better than it should be for the the amount it cost to buy . . .

Last edited by hsimon46; 06-21-2021 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Would prefer to remove price from post, as I believe it is misleading as to how much it now costs to get a Maestro,given the very small number of US retailers carrying the brand.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
I think they're talking about the neck profile.

well, it depends on which model you can get your hands on. they make both thin and thick necks.
I found this info useful from their website.

https://www.maestroguitars.com/product-code-guide/

“Starting January 2018, all guitars that are still in production will have a 44mm nut width unless specified.”

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element
Old 08-20-2019, 02:37 PM

I ran into a few of these at a local shop in Chicago a couple of months ago, and to be honest, I found them to be absolutely beautifully crafted instruments that I had no interest in playing.

Perhaps it was the setup, but the action was so low and loose that you really couldn't put any real force into them without major fret buzz and overdriving the wood.

Maybe OK for a very light-touch fingerstyle player in a small parlor, but IMO they aren't the solution for anyone who plays with a pick or in any sort of ensemble.

JMO, YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion