The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2016, 12:50 PM

You should try Thomastik Infeld SB-112. It's a medium light set 12-16-25-35-44-54. Round wound 80/20's handmade in Austria. They get even better after a few weeks and last a long time for me!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

"The only goal is in the process. The process is the thing--with little flashes of light-those are the gigs, the live shows…it's the life in between. That's all I got." Jeff Buckley
Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceletah View Post
You should try Thomastik Infeld SB-112. It's a medium light set 12-16-25-35-44-54. Round wound 80/20's handmade in Austria. They get even better after a few weeks and last a long time for me!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Thanks, it sounds like others in this thread find TIs quiet the J45 (maybe they didn't try that particular set) but I'm a big fan of TI so will add the ones you mentioned to the list.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
Thanks, it sounds like others in this thread find TIs quiet the J45 (maybe they didn't try that particular set) but I'm a big fan of TI so will add the ones you mentioned to the list.

On my J-45, those TI medium lights boost the volume and make it a more reactive guitar, especially when fingerpicked with bare fingers and nails.
I wouldn't use the adjective quiet even if I get why some say that. The tone gets more fundamental (less sustain), and darker (less bright).
It turned a good J-45 into a phenomenal one to me.

"The only goal is in the process. The process is the thing--with little flashes of light-those are the gigs, the live shows…it's the life in between. That's all I got." Jeff Buckley
Old 05-24-2016, 02:22 PM

I have a 2016 J-45 Vintage and I've been using the Ernie Ball Everlast Coated Phosphor Bronze Medium Light Strings and they've sounded pretty good to me. They do take a day or so to calm down for lack of a better way to put it, but after that I think they sound and feel pretty good. To be fair I actually use them on a different guitar so I have a few sets sitting around and just ended up throwing them on the J45 out of laziness haha, but yeah, they do sound good if you are looking for another option to check out.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:28 PM

On a related note, is there any concern about taking off all of the strings at once on a J-45? Based on the Martin video and otherwise, I do this with other guitars to clean the fretboard etc., but thought I'd make sure it won't mess up the electronics on the J-45 or otherwise cause unnecessary issues.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 AM

Bump. I found this thread topic interesting as I recently purchased a brand new Gibson J-45 Vintage. The strings that were on it when I bought it sounded great. I changed them to the strings I always use, John Pearse PB and I didn't really like the tone. I then put on a set of Martin Retro Monels and I'm not liking the sound of these either. I may try the Gibson strings some of you seem to like.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 PM

I just bought a new J35 a couple weeks ago. Not exactly the same but in the ballpark. I put D’Addario NB’s on it and played a gig outside near salt water and they went dead overnight. I put the Masterbuilt 80/20’s that came with it on and it’s exactly what I want that guitar to sound like. I’ve heard that they don’t last very long but I haven’t gotten there yet.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
I just bought a new J35 a couple weeks ago. Not exactly the same but in the ballpark. I put D’Addario NB’s on it and played a gig outside near salt water and they went dead overnight. I put the Masterbuilt 80/20’s that came with it on and it’s exactly what I want that guitar to sound like. I’ve heard that they don’t last very long but I haven’t gotten there yet.
I will say that I loved the tone of my J-45 Vintage with the factory strings. Are all new Gibson's strung with the Gibson Masterbuilt?

My YouTube Grooves
Old 09-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Bump. I found this thread topic interesting as I recently purchased a brand new Gibson J-45 Vintage. The strings that were on it when I bought it sounded great. I changed them to the strings I always use, John Pearse PB and I didn't really like the tone. I then put on a set of Martin Retro Monels and I'm not liking the sound of these either. I may try the Gibson strings some of you seem to like.
I experimented with lots of strings before discovering Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings. Bingo! Perfect for my 45. Play like lights but get the top moving like mediums. Great tone and a significant increase in volume compared to light strings. And they last a long time. Dunno how they’d sound to your ears...but you might give ‘em a try.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I experimented with lots of strings before discovering Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings. Bingo! Perfect for my 45. Play like lights but get the top moving like mediums. Great tone and a significant increase in volume compared to light strings. And they last a long time. Dunno how they’d sound to your ears...but you might give ‘em a try.
Now that I'm in the club, I am going to give these a try. I believe my rep at Sweetwater said the current Gibson J-45 comes with Cleartone strings. They sound very good to my ears so far. *Two days in.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-24-2018, 04:13 PM

I believe all the J’s ship with a pack of Masterbuilt’s in the case. Hard to fathom why those wouldn’t be what’s put on them at the factory. The company website says that as well.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:47 PM

I have Gibson Custom ReIssue Late 1950's SJ. It prefers the Gibson Masterbuilt PB 13's sounds great. Next it likes the DR Rare 13's. The guitar has a VERY even tone. So, even every pro who has played it comments on how good it sounds and how even it sounds and says it would be their dream guitar for recording. I wish the guitar had a little more Low E, but she still sounds great!

I am a HUGE Jon Pearse PB mediums fan, but the SJ does not like them :-(
I have put them on several J-45 Standards that loved them, but not this SJ which is braced lighter or more hand scalloped I think than the J-45 Standard.

I tried a zillion strings last 18 months... not exaggerating by much. The DR Rares to me sound very good and I like them, but on a 2nd guitar as they to my ears are not very versatile and are more of a specialty sound with more bass and more fuzzy, moody, dark sound. I'd love to have another guitar dedicated to the DR Rares for when I'm in that mood or special songs, just not on my Go-To guitar.

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-25-2018, 09:38 AM

I'm a fan of D'addario EJ16s, 17s, or 19s on my Southern Jumbo, depending on my mood!
Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 AM

The NB were good for me.

Played outside, but not by salt water.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM

Maybe it’s the red tide, killing everything!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion