The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Finish checking - that big a deal??

One of the many guitars I'm considering buying is an Eastman AC708 with some finish checking (hence its price is reduced to where I can afford the purchase).

My question is - is finish checking something I should be concerned about? Here are some photos:

Not sure what kind of finish was used - the only spec I can find is "natural gloss finish." The owner seems to be knocking $300 off the going price for one of these to compensate for its condition.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 AM

It’s a cosmetic concern only. If it puts it in your price range and wouldn’t bother you, I’d say go for it. My brother bought an E10OM in the same condition for the same reason. I never notice the checking, and his guitar sounds fantastic.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
One of the many guitars I'm considering buying is an Eastman AC708 with some finish checking (hence its price is reduced to where I can afford the purchase).

My question is - is finish checking something I should be concerned about? Here are some photos:

Not sure what kind of finish was used - the only spec I can find is "natural gloss finish." The owner seems to be knocking $300 off the going price for one of these to compensate for its condition.
It has zero effect on the tone, stability, playability and is only a matter of cosmetics. It happens to some of the worlds finest guitars. I would not think twice about it and if the owner is discounting the price, that’s only makes the finish checking a positive for you.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:52 AM

It’s a nitro finish. Hence the finish checking.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

At the risk of stating the obvious, choosing a guitar with finish checking or really any kind of cosmetic issues is an individual issue. Some of us see our guitars as eye candy and others see them as sound tools. Most are somewhere in-between, and the OP has to decide where he/she falls on that continuum. Eastman makes really nice guitars at attractive prices, but past finish issues are pretty well documented online....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-23-2019, 07:21 AM

Given the age of my guitars crazing goes with the territory. Unless the finish was shot in a ridiculously thin coat, crazing on a guitar that new may very well indicate it was simply subjected to some less than favorable conditions.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 AM

Some finishes are prone to checking if changes in temperature are to rapid. Those types of finish, such as the nitro finishes mostly will crack over time.

It's not detrimental to the tone or playability. Some people even like it.

I watched a video where this was purposely done to a Gibson Les Paul.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Idk, those finish cracks look a little excessive to me. I would be concerned how the instrument was stored. If it hasn't been properly humidified or if it was exposed to extreme heat or cold there could be some structural issues. Def check for any excessive bulges, neck angle, action, loose braces etc
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

The biggest concern to me when seeing finish checks like that is that you will need to be cautious when cleaning the guitar - those cracks can let water or moisture thru and into the wood, which can cause all kinds of staining and other finish issues. But they won’t affect tone or playing -
Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Default Finish checking

I had an Eastman AC808 for several years that had checking at least as bad as that shown. I bought the guitar from a member here that just couldn't live with the checking. Never had a single problem with that guitar. I eventually sold it to another member here.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

It’s only going to be a potential problem when you go to resell it. You will definitely reduce your pool of potential buyers, as excessive checking like this is a turn off for some, and a symptom of neglect and disregard for temperature swings for others.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

If the guitar is a relatively new build, I would be concerned a bit... if it was a 40 or 50 year old instrument, I'd be much less concerned.

$300 less than the going rate would not be enough of a discount for me to make the jump.

It IS cosmetic, however, that sort of checking only occurs as a result of some extreme temperature variation. On an older guitar, "normal" checking appears as very small, fine "mosaic"-like lines; these are fairly severe, deep isolated cracks in the lacquer. Again, checking is usually only a cosmetic issue and fairly normal for lacquer finished instruments... my concern would be that these lines are a bit unusual looking, and I'd be wondering whether the entire finish process was accomplished correctly.

If YOU love the guitar and can live with the finish imperfections, I'd try to get the price down even further...

Good luck!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Guest 728

Personally, I kinda like finish checking. Wouldn't bother me a bit.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:33 PM

It would bother me for a little while.................................just short of a nanosecond.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:39 PM

I would run away from it as fast as i can. Then again...OCD! Thus,,,I have an excuse. Lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion