The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I've just commented on another thread about noisy rooms and hearing loss which in my case seems to have been made worse by cancer treatment.
However, in the quiet and solitude of my own home, I can sometimes still appreciate the subtlety of my better instruments, and it is still (or currently) a thing of beauty and enjoyment.

Play on sir and enjoy those tones while you can!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM

There truly can be something special about an older guitar. Every time I pick up my 1942 Gibson J-50 and hit a big fat open chord that "Wow" just escapes my lips. Some I know say it is because the older ones just have a clarity to them. For me though it is they have a tendency to give you one big note and then get out of the way.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
I haven't played my old 1950 D18 in a long time. Been too busy with a Taylor 414ce and a Blueridge lately.
That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long time! JK of course (kind of)

We all want to see it
Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM

I am doing some volunteer work today. I will attempt to post a picture this evening. Thanks to all for letting me share this.
Richard
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I found your post really interesting, and I am glad you are enjoying the guitar. I saw a 1967 Martin D-35 a few years ago at Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Ks, and the price was over my budget, if I remember around $12k. However, they were kind enough to let me hold it and play a few chords, and it sounded really good. It looked "old", but sounded great. 1967 was the year I graduated from High School so that was my attraction. Good playing to you!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I found your post really interesting, and I am glad you are enjoying the guitar. I saw a 1967 Martin D-35 a few years ago at Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Ks, and the price was over my budget, if I remember around $12k. However, they were kind enough to let me hold it and play a few chords, and it sounded really good. It looked "old", but sounded great. 1967 was the year I graduated from High School so that was my attraction. Good playing to you!
I lived 20 minutes from Mass Street Music for about a decade and loved the place. And while Jim knows his stuff and has never been shy when it comes to price tags your memory must be a bit hazy as I have never seen a '67 D-35 sell for even close to $12K. By the way when you were in the area did you ever stop by the Kansas Guitar Exchange? Just a great little shop.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Lucky man!

I can only dream of playing a 60 year old Martin D18.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Finally adding a picture of my Martin. Note the "scar" on the lower right. Happened when I was 17, and Mom tossed my hair brush in my direction while I was playing. (Might say something about my skill a the time!) Had it repaired years later along with the bridge when it started to rise up. As I said earlier, my last trip to the shop showed all is well.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950 D 18.jpg (48.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 03-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
Finally adding a picture of my Martin. Note the "scar" on the lower right. Happened when I was 17, and Mom tossed my hair brush in my direction while I was playing. (Might say something about my skill a the time!) Had it repaired years later along with the bridge when it started to rise up. As I said earlier, my last trip to the shop showed all is well.

Richard
There it is! Raised logo and all. Looks great for almost 70. That story says something about your hair too. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Simply beautiful.

Can't believe how dark the top has become over the years.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM

Steel --- Thanks, and I agree about how dark the wood has become. I put it beside my Taylor, and the difference is really stark. Maybe it was all those years of exposure before my wife bought a case for it on one of my birthdays.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for sharing. "Re-discovering" a guitar in your herd is a great (and cost-free) experience! It's giving me renewed interest to pick up a birth year guitar, in my case 1955. I've often thought to make it a D-18. My first high end guitar was a new 1973 D-18, unfortunately that was a down period for Martin. It had such terrible intonation I eventually sold it. I've thought getting a beautiful sounding '55 D-18 might close that circle once and for all! Thanks again. There's a certain beauty in seeing all those years in the wood and trim!

Last edited by gmel555; 03-21-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:20 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a D-18 that dark. Gorgeous.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

That's a mighty fine guitfiddle!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion