The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Washburn W400 a rare bird indeed

I have been searching for one of these that someone is selling, but the only two I found were damaged. One de-laminating from the front and back and the other with a huge piece of plastic screwed on the side to cover up a hole. These guitars were made in Japan in the mid 70's and the one I picked up and played years ago in Annapolis md, made me want to cry it sounded so good! Obviously a copy of the j200 with a fancier bridge. Anyone have any info on these?
The Washburn forum is on it's last legs and nothing but lurkers seem to be on the site anymore.

https://postimg.cc/QB2Ly12q
Old 12-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Its pretty much impossible to give you a price on this -
it depends on -solid top or laminate ( probably laminate )
case or no case ( paper or wood )
straight neck- good action -or in need of a neck reset -etc. ?

this is quick non educated guess- going at this blind
and personally i wouldn't buy it unless i could put my hands on it before i buy it .

150 -500 --if it has a nice tone , plays well and you have to have it .
(because you fell in love with it - and their not giving it away )
please remember that guitars from Japan were flooding our markets around that time ( late 60's-70's )
and were typically not decent - at least most were not ( thou Yairis are as good as any Martin )
Old 12-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Great looking guitar but don't discount a good used Epiphone EJ-200.

I was super lucky to find one in amazing condition this year.
A 2012 model - last year of the full body version - after that they all have cutaway's.

Fitted a new bone saddle and swapped the original plastic bridge pins to bone and a good guitar got even better.

Previous owner fitted a Planet Waves 'O' Port Soundhole Enhancer and it sounds so good I'm just gonna leave it in there!

My Huss & Dalton MJ Custom pictured cost exactly 10x more than my EJ-200 but I love the contrast and enjoy playing them both.

Keep an eye out for an EJ-300 too - the rosewood version of the EJ-200.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-21-2018, 06:36 AM

Default Hey There

I can tell you that these were made between 74-77 and were most likely a proto type Washburn but I can say that they were all solid woods.
These were made by a Japanese company that was looking to get their business.I to was looking for a long time for one but they were always priced way out of line does this one have the label still and if so could you forward pictures of all of the guitar and label to me.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 PM

I have only found two, both damaged, one de laminating and the other with a big piece of plastic screwed over a broken corner. I guess I'll just keep an eye out on reverb and ebay.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 PM

I did get one! Excellent condition except a very strange repair with a hunk of plastic and a bunch of small screws. Plays beautifully. I am going to spend some time and repair the side, whatever it takes. A very rare Washburn it is!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/26lfl2xt8/
Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 AM

I took the plastic repair cover off; the back and sides are laminated. Don’t know if it’s worth repairing now.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzybt View Post
I took the plastic repair cover off; the back and sides are laminated. Don’t know if it’s worth repairing now.
I think it's a cool looking guitar. If it's playable and sounds good I'd just leave it.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

My Huss & Dalton MJ Custom pictured cost exactly 10x more than my EJ-200 but I love the contrast and enjoy playing them both.
I really like the body shape of the Huss & Dalton. Like a jumbo version of a pre-1957 Harmony Grand Concert. I doubt is is mere coincidence but in the last decade any time my wife and I get our hands on booteek guitars the H&Ds always come out as our favorites.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion