The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
My guitar is not the easiest to play but it’s the best sounding guitar I’ve ever ever played, so Ill be in the “sound is the most important factor” club.
But, would you have bought this guitar if it was painted blue? If it were priced at $25,000? If it had a 1 5/8 nut? I would suggest each of those could have taken priority over sound in considering your purchase.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
The advice we get all the time in this forum and elsewhere is, "if it sounds good, buy it". We also hear that some models or brands are very iffy as to sound and "If you can find one that sounds good, you should buy it". It doesn't seem to matter what it is or what it looks like, "how it sounds" is all that really matters.

If we should buy only the best sounding guitars, why do the majority of people buy all the other ones that don't sound so good?
My current love affair... Is with a Guitar that shouldn't be...
I mean from everything I've read this guitar should sound like a box of rocks and not as it does...Like a highly refined sound, with texture and Character depth, and fullness that I haven't found before or since.
How it sounds is like a purebred how it looks, Well like it's been used but not abused.
I mean how can a 37-year-old guitar not show some age? It has tales to tell but only it can hear, but I can hear the age in its tone and see it in its bumps and bruises.
Maybe one reason why it's lasted so long is that it's all Laminate? but why does it sound all solid?
Yes it has taught me this, don't overlook all Laminate guitars, don't overlook older guitars.
And looks are only skin deep, the tone is really where it is at.
Yamaha CJ818SB
Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
But, would you have bought this guitar if it was painted blue? If it were priced at $25,000? If it had a 1 5/8 nut? I would suggest each of those could have taken priority over sound in considering your purchase.
I assumed we were talking about normal instruments, not $25,000 blue guitars.

I should have known better, you really got me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 AM

The real question is what does a good guitar sound like?

The real answer is whatever you think it sounds like.

I am sure that not one of my guitars would sound good to say a group of 100 unanimously. Somebody would say"well I have a HD28, or 00-15 or S6, etc. that sounds better than that one. "

We could all be on a quest for THE best sounding guitar. I turn 68 tomorrow. Far less sand in the hour glass than there was. I would rather just play and enjoy my less than the best sounding guitars.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I assumed we were talking about normal instruments, not $25,000 blue guitars.

I should have known better, you really got me.
So, you would buy a guitar "for the sound" if the nut were too wide or narrow for you to play cleanly? If course not.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM

There are really only two kinds of sound out there - that which you like and that which you do not. The two most common monikers on headstocks on guitars I choose to live with are Gibson and Harmony. I obviously have a thing for both builders. And while my wife loves her Martin D12-28, I am much happier with my 1961 Gibson B45-12. And on Gibson 12 strings. I prefer the sound of the ADJ bridges to the fixed bridges. To my ears it increases the amount of attack you hear. Go figure.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

How a guitar sounds (tone), how it responds, how it sustains, how it projects and resonates are really important to me. So when I was in my 'search-for-the-best-guitar-I-can-find' phase, I frequented places which had half dozen or more of the model I was looking for in stock so I could play and compare them.

I've played Martin D-28 guitars which were amazing and some that were downright average, and a few sub-par. I played at least 4 or 5 Taylor 714ce at a store and picked the one I eventually purchased. And it was so good, my gigging partner bought it from me (it's now 20 years old and sounds amazing). Because of the variance on wood from piece to piece, the bell curve generally applies to instruments which are manufactured to set thickness instead of wood which is adjusted for maximum responsiveness (which boutique builders do). They are built with interchangeable parts…

The bell curve indicates out of every hundred guitars made this way, 10 will be substandard, 10 will be amazing, and the other 80 will be average. It's designed to help understand trends…and it's the reason I play and compare. I want one of the ones in the top tier…and avoid the ones in the bottom tier.

Unfortunately, it's rare to have a music store with ½ dozen guitars of a single size and wood combo in stock these days, or if they do, be willing to dig out all 6 and let us compare (smart stores do).
I did this a few times once when I finally saved $600 for my frist new Fender stratocaster in 1981. I had the sales guy walking up stairs four times until I got the best ringer.
I didn't pick for color only feel and acoustic tone unplugged.

My point is those were the days of screening same model instruments. That was a great experience not only getting a good Dan Smith Strat but the exercise of feeling & listening for the differences.

Years ago I remember calling Hollywood GC and asking when is the next large shipment of HD28's coming in. I went down there hoping for their purported 6 but only 3 were there. Although I didn't purchase one I did like that process very much. I remember telling myself "OK so the best couple sold before I got there. I better do the 10AM tryout with next years batch". Being 2 hours away, and traffic of los Angeles being what it is, I have not tried that since.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Not much else can be said here... but play-ability and sound are a tandem for me. I can't have one without the other or I won't end up playing the guitar.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
The advice we get all the time in this forum and elsewhere is, "if it sounds good, buy it". We also hear that some models or brands are very iffy as to sound and "If you can find one that sounds good, you should buy it". It doesn't seem to matter what it is or what it looks like, "how it sounds" is all that really matters.

If we should buy only the best sounding guitars, why do the majority of people buy all the other ones that don't sound so good?
Good question. I bought my Avalon from an online dealer. For all I know he sent me the worst sounding one he had. To me it sounds great. So I guess ignorance is bliss,

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
So, you would buy a guitar "for the sound" if the nut were too wide or narrow for you to play cleanly? If course not.
I’ve had a couple of guitar with 1 5/8” nuts. I can play them cleanly and I bought them for their sound, not their nuts. They weren’t blue, so you still have me there.

I don’t get hung up on nut widths as some seem to.

The guitar I have now doesn’t have the perfect nut width for me, nor does it play as effortlessly as I’d like. However, it’s sound is better than anything I’ve ever played.

I’d appreciate it if you just accept my opinion as nothing more than my own and we move on.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-20-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
And why do people insist on photos and not sound clips on NGD????
Because we look at guitars the way we look at the opposite sex. Looks definitely attract. We can make a go or stay decision later when we find out the other details.

We could say the same thing about cars, houses, clothes, etc., etc., etc.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:29 PM

To some, sounds "good" or sounds "lifeless" is a comment that comes after they've seen the headstock. Not a joke. I've met them. Acoustics, electrics, to amps and pedals ...you name it. Confirmation bias ain't no myth.

Edward
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
And why do people insist on photos and not sound clips on NGD????
Probably for a few reasons -

1. No recording equipment besides cell phone, or none at all.

2. Getting a recording to sound like or close to what the guitar sounds like in person takes a bit of practice and the right tools. Plus if you don't have a quiet and decent room to record in the result won't be the best.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion