The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Martin D-28 issue

Since Martin’s switch to the 1 3/4 nut width, they’ve taken me out of the market for one of their new dreads. 1 11/16 is my ideal, but I want forward shifted scalloped bracing as well. Any recommendations of used models that would fit that bill?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Yep, HD-28V. Great guitar.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilkins View Post
Yep, HD-28V. Great guitar.
Yep...couldn't agree more!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 AM

HD-28V will work great for you, but an even better value is a good D-28 from the 70's. Even though it will not have FSSB like a HD-28V, that 40+ year old wood does wonders for great tone.

A survey was done where players chimed in on their favorite nut width. 80% preferred 1 3/4" and the other 20% (like me) prefer 1 11/16". I will never by another acoustic that lacks a 1 11/16" nut.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
HD-28V will work great for you, but an even better value is a good D-28 from the 70's. Even though it will not have FSSB like a HD-28V, that 40+ year old wood does wonders for great tone.

A survey was done where players chimed in on their favorite nut width. 80% preferred 1 3/4" and the other 20% (like me) prefer 1 11/16". I will never by another acoustic that lacks a 1 11/16" nut.
There is much to be said for a well played in guitar.

As for the 1 3/4" vs 1 11/16" nut width issue, I have come to the conclussion that way more important is the NECK SHAPE.

I have difficulties with my fretting hand due to a stroke. I had to give up a couple of guitars because of chunky neck profiles.
I have gotten short scale guitars with appropriate neck shapes to replace those I sold. One is the Gibson slim profile, the other the wider Taylor nut width but with the typical fast Taylor neck shape.

I can still play my non reinvented HD28 just fine with light strings. I can still play my old school 00-15.

There may be some players for whom the nut width really make a difference. But I think many have bought in to the push for the wider nut width that the guitar companies have presented. I think it is kind of funny that neck widths were wide, then not as much and are now wide again.

I will bet the lesser widths will become popular again in 10-15 years.

Gotta keep selling guitars!
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb83 View Post
Since Martin’s switch to the 1 3/4 nut width, they’ve taken me out of the market for one of their new dreads. 1 11/16 is my ideal, but I want forward shifted scalloped bracing as well. Any recommendations of used models that would fit that bill?
Have you tried to sit down for an hour with a 1 3/4" nut guitar? I only say that because I vastly preferred the smaller nuts but forced myself to try the wider nut and found it was perfectly fine after a while. In fact, I thought my playing got better with fewer missed fingerings and such. I was very close to custom shop ordering a d18 with a smaller nut. It's like 300 bucks or so to swap the nut width with no other changes I've heard.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Have you tried to sit down for an hour with a 1 3/4" nut guitar? I only say that because I vastly preferred the smaller nuts but forced myself to try the wider nut and found it was perfectly fine after a while. In fact, I thought my playing got better with fewer missed fingerings and such. I was very close to custom shop ordering a d18 with a smaller nut. It's like 300 bucks or so to swap the nut width with no other changes I've heard.
Similar to me. For years I believed Martin's old MLO 1 11/16th nut was my perfect neck for my style of playing. It's only in the last couple of years that I seem to have tried various 1 3/4" width guitars and have settled on the 2 that I now own, I'm still in the early stages with my 000-28EC which is a bigger neck overall than I've had in the past but so far, so good.

For me, the current deal breaker is the Standard series MLO PA profile, tried to like it on my previous 000-18 but it just didn't work for me, too shallow at the nut end, gets better further up. Gutted, as I loved the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion