The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Struggling with my Larrivee OM-40R

Received this in a local trade and for the life of me cannot get used to the neck.
It seems really big. I also may be coming to the realization that although I play mostly fingerstyle, I'm more comfortable with 1 11/16 nut widths. I have pretty big hands but this guitar has got me baffled.

Any thoughts??

Ron
Old 03-10-2019, 03:46 PM

It might be the neck profile + fretboard radius. The compound radius on pre-late 2017 Larrivées is something like 16-22, which makes it a much flatter fretboard than a lot of people are used to.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Struggle is a bad word to use in conjunction with a new guitar...
Old 03-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamato View Post
Received this in a local trade and for the life of me cannot get used to the neck.
It seems really big. I also may be coming to the realization that although I play mostly fingerstyle, I'm more comfortable with 1 11/16 nut widths. I have pretty big hands but this guitar has got me baffled.

Any thoughts??

Ron
Maybe I dodged a bullet, I almost bought a Larrivee OM-40R last week. I don't like big necks. I just sold a guitar with a 1 13/16 inch nut width, I tried and tried, could not get used to the neck, but it had maybe the most beautiful tone ever I've played.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

@paraclete

I think you nailed it!! I couldn't put my finger (LOL) on it: It's the large radius. Really flat.

@calstang66: This guitar sounds wonderful. I guess I'll be putting it on the block!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 PM

+1 radius. I don't notice it problematic, but it is quite different imo.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 03-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Any thoughts??

Ron

I have found that differences in nut width, beck profile, and scale can all impact my playing comfort. I find some guitars with wider nut very comfortable but while I make less mistakes due to increased spacing, I do not have the hand reach (circumference) that i have when the nut is 1 11/16. But then if it’s a 1 11/16, it’s often not short scale so then hand stretch to adjacent frets is less. And mod V neck vs low profile makes a difference too.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraclete View Post
It might be the neck profile + fretboard radius. The compound radius on pre-late 2017 Larrivées is something like 16-22, which makes it a much flatter fretboard than a lot of people are used to.
+1 on this. I really like this Larrivee and came close to buying one. I had a stroke. It damaged my fretting hand. I could no longer play certain neck profiles/widths. Gave up another guitar, didn't buy the Larrivee.

Great guitar. Give it time. I think you can adjust. Give it a good try, at least.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM

I once fell hard for a Larrivee 000-60, I think.
That tone kept me coming back to the shop time and time again, but finally realized I’d never get used to that neck.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts??

Ron
Love my OM-40 (and my other Larrivees). Their ergonomics work well for me.

First suggestion, give it a little time and see if you can bond with it. If not, I suggest you offer it for sale or trade on the forum. You may find something to replace it that will do it for you.

Years ago, I bought a new Taylor 615CE that was the most gorgeous guitar I'd seen at the time. Try though I did, I could not connect with that guitar. I ended trading it to someone who absolutely loves it.

We all have our preferences and sometimes, despite all evidence, a particular guitar doesn't fit.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Larrivee necks are just different. I have large but slender hands, but Larrivee's just don't fit my hands well. Ergonomically it is a combination of nut width, string spacking, neck profile and fingerboard radius. I have to hold back when folks talk about any single specification in isolation.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-10-2019, 07:53 PM

Don't hold back. It's not like you have to respect others' considered opinions. I've played Larrivee for 40 years -- not like that would give me the right to an opinion tho.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 PM

You are not the first player that couldn't bond with a Larrivee neck. Some people have issues with Rainsong and their 20" fret board radius too. Comfort is a complex combination of neck carve, fretboard radius, rolled edges, nut width, and string spacing - and sometimes how you feel on a given day.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 PM

I just checked out the specs. Looks like it would be right up my alley.........except for the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion