The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Martin Reimagined HD28 v HD28v

I went and played a new hd28 (I have an older one) and it was nice. The neck seemed wider than 1.75 and thebstring width seemed wider than spec but maybe that’s the combo of the smaller neck w a wider board. There was an older 2003 used 00-18v that had a great neck. But to be fair it’s short scale so not a direct comparison. They didn’t have a new hd28v to try.

- what are you getting for the $1k upgrade to the v? I know you get a 1 11/16 and closer coaching w the v neck but besides that? Seems the same bracing.

- is the old 2003 00-18v neck the same as a new hd28v neck?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:11 PM

Default Martin Reimagined HD28 v HD28v

To my ears, after playing a number of new HD-28s and the previous HD-28V (often in the same room at the same time), I hear more Martin boom and warmth in the V model. But, if that’s not what you’re looking for, the new model is very good with an easy to play neck. Some suggest the extra wood in the V neck adds to the bass boom. Some suggest it’s the long saddle.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
To my ears, after playing a number of new HD-28s and the previous HD-28V (often in the same room at the same time), I hear more Martin boom and warmth in the V model. But, if that’s not what you’re looking for, the new model is very good with an east to play neck.
Ive noticed that Vs are darker and more dynamic. Im not sure thats a staple but from what I have played, thats what I hear.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Two friends and I checked out 2 new HD-28V guitars and 1 new HD-28 2018 model in the same store at the same time. We passed them around several times and listened to them from player and audience perspectives.

We ended up preferring the HD-28 tone best. One of the "V"s sounded much better than the other, so we A-B'd the 2 remaining guitars.

We have no idea why the 2018 HD-28 sounded best of the three to us. The "V"s had an obvious boomy bass-bias compared to the 2018 HD-28. No idea why.

The neck feel was the biggest difference among the three of us. One friend prefers the 1 11/16" nut width, the other prefers the 1 3/4" nut width. I do not have a preference, as long as a setup is to my liking.

The spec differences really are the neck profile and nut width, the use of grained ivoroid on the Vs for binding, the tuners, and age toner on the top of the new HD-28. We liked the look and feel of the new Schaller tuners. The age toner is not obnoxious, just warm looking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion