The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 06:50 AM

Default Taylor 214e DLX Grand Auditorium

I played a Taylor 214e DLX Grand Auditorium Sunburst at GC over the weekend - great guitar. The model was not a cutaway - I can't find any info about the guitar on the Taylor website, etc (they only show the cutaway model). Is this a discontinued model? It looked and sounded great and I'm not concerned if it is discontinued, just wondering! Thanks -
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 AM

It looks like it was discontinued. This one in the link is not sunburst though.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/214e-dlx
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack1 View Post
I played a Taylor 214e DLX Grand Auditorium Sunburst at GC over the weekend - great guitar. The model was not a cutaway - I can't find any info about the guitar on the Taylor website, etc (they only show the cutaway model). Is this a discontinued model? It looked and sounded great and I'm not concerned if it is discontinued, just wondering! Thanks -
The 214 you played is pretty much the same as what Taylor lists with the cutaway in terms of how it is built. Many Taylor players like having the cutaway and Taylor likes selling their electronics built in to the guitar. Cosmetics are eye of the beholder.

If you like the one you played, go for it.

Last edited by Paddy1951; 02-20-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack1 View Post
I seem to recall that the non-cutaway 214DLX was a GC-special. I've been to a few GCs, from LA to Florida, and have seen them there. I haven't found one anywhere else. Maybe an online-primary shop like SW would get them, too?

Regardless, I've played a couple...and they're every bit as awesome as the cutaway versions. I almost bought one in LA, last year...but didn't wanna go through the hassle of shipping it back to the east coast, or run the risk of the airline forcing me to check it in a gig bag.

If you liked it, JUMP!!!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 02-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I wish the 200 series had a 1 3/4" nut. Otherwise this model would be very desirable to me. I personally don't like guitars with a cutaway (and factory electronics for that matter) and decry the marketing logic that pushes guitars with cutaway and electronics. I understand the theory that guitars with cutaway/electronics outsell those without these features but continue to wonder to what extent this is a self-fulfilling model. If a guitar company produces/distributes an unequal number of instruments with/without these features, then wouldn't it be logical that one would outsell the other? That aside, the 200 series are nice, but I wish the nut was 1 3/4"....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I wish the 200 series had a 1 3/4" nut. Otherwise this model would be very desirable to me. I personally don't like guitars with a cutaway (and factory electronics for that matter) and decry the marketing logic that pushes guitars with cutaway and electronics. I understand the theory that guitars with cutaway/electronics outsell those without these features but continue to wonder to what extent this is a self-fulfilling model. If a guitar company produces/distributes an unequal number of instruments with/without these features, then wouldn't it be logical that one would outsell the other? That aside, the 200 series are nice, but I wish the nut was 1 3/4"....
Agreed. I played a 214DLX quilted maple and loved the tone and everything about the guitar EXCEPT the narrow fingerboard/nut. Bummer.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbwrapper View Post
Agreed. I played a 214DLX quilted maple and loved the tone and everything about the guitar EXCEPT the narrow fingerboard/nut. Bummer.
I hear you. I have had to bypass on a number of great guitars over that issue.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I have an original 214 DLX without the cutaway, electronics or Sunburst. Absolutely love it. It also is discontinued but that just makes it more special to me. If you liked the way it played and sounded, pull the trigger, as it may be gone tomorrow.

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info - I was thinking it was a GC only model. The only other dealer offering the guitar is Musician's Friend, so it must be GC only. I have to say it was a very nice guitar!
Old 10-29-2019, 08:49 PM

I tried ordering one locally, couldn't. Only GC got them, ordered a limited number and paid Taylor up front. I suspect for this big guitar sale they have going on.

I got one, came in today, FANTASTIC guitar. I have the cutaway model, which I love. I didn't know these existed until I saw the ad on YouTube, had to have it. Glad I did!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:34 PM

GC special run. Just like GC does a run of the popular 224ce-K models that are satin back and sides versus gloss back and sides. It’s not denoted on the Taylor web, on the guitar inside label, or in their stores either. They hang side by side with regular stock. Nice to have options.
Think of it this way...50 years from now it will be an “odd duck” and likely be desirable.
I really like the new 100/200 maple neck feel, but as mentioned the narrow width profile turns folks off, and it would be cool if they made the 1 3/4 an option for $150 or something...and added the GC shape to the 200 line...but they sorta did my producing the Academy 12. Those burst 200s are sharp!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion