The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-20-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default New gear

Most midway and above recording gear has been so good the last several years are you still often tempted to continue
buying the latest and "greatest" that comes out almost continuously. Personally I'm not sure there is another ounce to
extract sound wise.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-20-2020 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Most midway and above recording gear has been so good the last several year are you still often tempted to continue
buying the latest and "greatest" then comes out almost continuously. Personally I'm not sure there is another ounce to
extract sound wise.
Well yes the gear is good and no doubt at some point it seems to be about minutiae . But I do think there is a difference between good high quality analog gear, which does tend to hold its appeal and relevance, much longer than even good digital gear.

That said:: As per my the Avid Carbon thread I am considering doing just that.
Albeit mostly for the digital improvement and the move to the hybrid DSP processing logistics and workflow and is not so much related to ultimate finished sound per se.

But I think you are also highlighting the notion that buying better of best you can afford once can be more more economical in the long run than a steady process of buying and selling in slight incremental upgrades .
My high quality analog gear is 6 and 8 years old and is going nowhere and not being replaced

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-20-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Most midway and above recording gear has been so good the last several year are you still often tempted to continue
buying the latest and "greatest" then comes out almost continuously. Personally I'm not sure there is another ounce to
extract sound wise.
I'm an, "if it works, don't fix it," person who also believes in, "yesterday's technology today."
Old 11-20-2020, 12:30 PM

Compared to most people here, I'll admit I'm thrifty. A skinflint, even.

I absolutely can hear the difference between my ancient PT TDM conversion and modern Avid HDX or UA Apollo or Prism or what have you. But for me it's not enough a difference to warrant the expense, compared to the difference that money spent on instruments and mics and room treatment makes.

And my biggest issue when it comes to all of it, frankly, is me. I write and sing and play and record and mix okay, but I could do all of it a lot better. And when it comes to "production," I could be better at coaxing performances out of other people, too.

Next to all that, conversion is way way down on my personal list.

Couch Standards
Old 11-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

The last few years I have kept the same main gear and have succumbed more along the line of some new release of
software such as a new reverb or equalizer. Now I'm at the point I doubt I will buy yet another of those type of things.

Since I have several recordings already that I am totally happy with sound wise I blame any newer recording I don't
like as much on how I set things up rather than on the gear itself.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-20-2020, 03:40 PM

From a song writer/home recordist POV, all of my gear is already better than I'll ever be. Still using an EMU1212M PCI soundcard for ADA in my old Windows XP/Sonar 6 rig. I was even using an old Hafler TA100 power amp and the original KRK 6" Rokits for monitors until just a few months ago when the Hafler starting acting up.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

As I enter the recording game, I also worry=
Will it really make a difference? In fact, I beat myself up most every day as I try and make decisions for my next needed purchase..
In the end, after extensive research and listening, I just have to make my best guess. That is all we can do.
Thankfully I have all of your guys to help me. And I sincerely do appreciate all of those great Responses, Personal Replies, Comparison recordings and videos, given here on AGF!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I haven't been chasing the 'latest and greatest' but I have been upgrading the 'level' of my gear and filling in gaps over the last few years. Recently I've been taking pretty big jumps in the gear I get, but it's usually used and not newly released designs. It's mainly been mics and external analog gear.

My needs, and level of playing, don't justify the upgrades but this is a hobby I enjoy. There are a lot of ways to spend time and money on hobbies, and I figure it's enjoying it and not justifying it.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-20-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I haven't been chasing the 'latest and greatest' but I have been upgrading the 'level' of my gear and filling in gaps over the last few years. Recently I've been taking pretty big jumps in the gear I get, but it's usually used and not newly released designs. It's mainly been mics and external analog gear.

My needs, and level of playing, don't justify the upgrades but this is a hobby I enjoy. There are a lot of ways to spend time and money on hobbies, and I figure it's enjoying it and not justifying it.
Hey ChuckS,
I may just have to incorporate your wise saying into my stock of wise sayings. " I figure it's enjoying it, and not justifying it"
Or maybe simplify it a tiny bit...." I'm enjoying it, not justifying it" yep, I think that will become my new wise saying. Thanks ChuckS...I like it!
My main wise saying is a modified version of the prolific Rolling Stones song,
" You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need"
Well I modified that a tiny bit...
"Sometimes what you think you want, is not what you really need"
As I gain my recording ears...this has run so true. At first, I might like one kind of sound because the notes jump out at me. Then later I realize that longterm..the notes that are exaggerated...& long term tend to grind into me.
Smooth, Even,( which sometimes at first might be called = a bit boring)...is really what I need.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:01 PM

For me, although I love to read reviews about all the new audio toys, the time spent is an excuse, a distraction from practicing or working with what I have because what I have will certainly produce excellent recordings.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:25 PM

Besides, if your gear is all great you've got nothing to blame.

My friend's a pro installer who did a $2 Million studio install in one of a personal-injury lawyer's investment properties. The guy hired a name-brand engineer and spent his whole three-week summer vacation tracking his first album. Apparently, he hasn't been back there since.

Couch Standards
Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 PM

I lately find myself pretty satisfied—both in terms of live gear, instruments, amps, and studio gear. I buy a mic or a pre if I'm looking for a specific kind of color to add to the palette or if I have a problem to solve. Lately I buy boring things like mic stands and cables.

With that said, I did just buy a STAM Audio buss compressor off Ebay.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:34 PM

I haven't done any significant recording in many years -- a couple decades really. Now the time is right for me now to get something done. I recently replaced my old Tascam 2488 Neo with a commitment to record using the computer and a Universal Apollo x4. I also picked up a couple more good mics, and some new headphones. The audio interface and recording to computer are really the key pieces that were a quantum leap for me. Totally of this world compared to where I was coming from.

Getting a better MacBook with Logic Pro soon and then I'm about done for a while unless I can find an excuse to buy a mic or two. Learning a lot and having a blast messing with all this new gear.... a few UAD plugins too.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Most midway and above recording gear has been so good the last several years are you still often tempted to continue
buying the latest and "greatest" that comes out almost continuously. Personally I'm not sure there is another ounce to
extract sound wise.
Hi rick-slo
Nope, not tempted at all.

Have not purchased new recording mics/equipment since 2009.

Part of that is due to the fact I'm no longer recording as a business, and part of it is the change in the way music is reproduced, then consumed by the general public.

iPhones and earbuds have replaced CD/DVD (tape, wax, pressed albums etc) and high end gear…plus music is often looked up or 'rented' not purchased.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-21-2020, 02:16 PM

About a decade ago, I bought my RME Fireface UFX digital interface on ebay. It was the most money I'd ever paid for a piece of recording equipment ($1600).

It may be the last interface I buy.

If I am honest with myself, the biggest area of improvement has ALWAYS been my playing - not the recording.

Instead of getting another microphone, I invested in vocal lessons. That increased the quality of my voice far more than any microphone I've ever purchased.

Instead of searching for newer and better processing hardware/software, I've focused on phrasing, delivery and arrangement to provide balance in busy recordings.

Like many creative people, I have bought (literally!) into myths that end up with me putting inspiration and production on hold 'until I get the right microphone, compressor, interface, speakers, room treatment, DAW, plug-in.' It's a huge trap and exists in all fields of art.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD