The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 AM

Default Who owns a 20 year old Taylor?

Hey All. I was just reading in another thread that Rick S bought his first Taylor 30 years ago and it got me immediately thinking...

1) How many people own at least a 20 year old Taylor? (I'm worried if I use 30 years there won't be many responses).
2) How many people are the original owners of a 20 year old Taylor?

Sometimes it's easy to forget that back in the '70s and '80s Taylor was just entering the market and beginning to make strides. I've never played a Taylor that's pre-2000 (at least I don't think I have).
Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 AM

I own a 712 from 1992 and am the original owner. I was just playing some simple slack key in open G, followed by Black Country woman, on it last night and thinking how nice it sounded in both styles.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 AM

Only a 20 year old Taylor, or 20 years old and older? (He says while pointing down to his signiture line....)
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conso View Post
I own a 712 from 1992 and am the original owner. I was just playing some simple slack key in open G, followed by Black Country woman, on it last night and thinking how nice it sounded in both styles.
Welcome to the forum, Conso. A 20 year old 712 sounds nice!

Black Country Woman - you mean Led Zepplin? Great stuff!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlay2 View Post
Only a 20 year old Taylor, or 20 years old and older? (He says while pointing down to his signiture line....)
Hey IPlay2 - great question! And great signature line. A '99 and '79. You probably have one of the oldest Taylors on the forum! Are you the original owner of the 1979 510?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Welcome to the forum, Conso. A 20 year old 712 sounds nice!

Black Country Woman - you mean Led Zepplin? Great stuff!
It's a beaut. I had been away from guitar for many years when I bought it and had never heard of Taylor at the time. For some reason (probably because it plays so nicely, sounds nice and is so compact), I find myself drawn to this guitar more than my Guilds and Martin (I've added to the collection since '92).
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 AM

I bought my 712 new in 1991. I'd never played a Taylor before but I was sold after playing about 3 chords. The 712 from that era is a little smaller than the current GC size. Wish they still made the slightly smaller size. Its so comfortable to play.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyToonz View Post
I bought my 712 new in 1991. I'd never played a Taylor before but I was sold after playing about 3 chords. The 712 from that era is a little smaller than the current GC size. Wish they still made the slightly smaller size. Its so comfortable to play.
I didn't realize that the older GCs were smaller. I wonder if they were increased in size during the revoicing a few years ago.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 AM

I am not the original owner but have had my 1985 550 12 string for close to 20 years. No issues and a great playing and sounding 12er.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I am not the original owner but have had my 1985 550 12 string for close to 20 years. No issues and a great playing and sounding 12er.

Thanks for posting a pic, SMan. She's a beauty. I'm sure it plays better than my 1989 all laminate Yamaha (although that Yamaha was my best friend for 10 years).

Do you still play it much?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey All. I was just reading in another thread that Rick S bought his first Taylor 30 years ago and it got me immediately thinking...

1) How many people own at least a 20 year old Taylor? (I'm worried if I use 30 years there won't be many responses).
2) How many people are the original owners of a 20 year old Taylor?

Sometimes it's easy to forget that back in the '70s and '80s Taylor was just entering the market and beginning to make strides. I've never played a Taylor that's pre-2000 (at least I don't think I have).
Hey Dru, very cool thread! I didn't have much activity on the Mustache Bridge thread, but this will satisfy. I think the older Taylors will leap in value some day, maybe not in my lifetime, but eventually.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Very cool thread indeed. My oldest Taylor is an amazing 714ce given to me by my wife. It's actually only 14 years old so I'm about six years too early with this post but what the heck.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 AM

I have a 712 from 1988 that still puts a smile on my face every time I open the case. Mine has a nut width of 1 5/8" which is something I've never run across before. It is extremely comfortable to play and is still my favorite after all of these years.

Jack
Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Hey Dru, very cool thread! I didn't have much activity on the Mustache Bridge thread, but this will satisfy. I think the older Taylors will leap in value some day, maybe not in my lifetime, but eventually.
Rick - I'm glad you posted. You're the inspiration for this thread! As I was reading your post about your 30 year old Taylor I just wanted to know more about them and who has them. I love Taylors but when I think of them I think of the 90s and 2000s (incorrectly, I must add).
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Default 1991 410

I bought my Taylor 410 twenty years ago. When I asked the sales clerk to see the "high end" guitars, I was thinking of buying a Martin. I had never heard of Taylor guitars, and then I only played once a month or so for friends and family. I remember as the clerk was listening to me strum the Taylor, he commented, "Are you sure you don't want a nice yamaha or ovation?" (He thought that maybe my skills weren't suited for such a nice guitar.) Having fallen in love at first sight and sound, I told him that the guitar would inspire me to improve. For the past 20 years, barely a day goes by, when I don't pull out my guitar and play. My 410 is mahogany and has a pinless bridge. Last week, I installed a colosi bone saddle, and it has greatly improved the tone. Currently I play in a Celtic band, and am the music leader in my church. This Taylor has enriched my life incredibly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion