The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-10-2020, 08:24 AM

I imagine that I hear a difference. They seem to get progressively warmer sounding as they progress from #1 to #3. Matching that impression with received wisdom would be consistent with the two guesses above.

Who knows what psycho acoustic factors go into what I think I'm hearing.They all sound like fine guitars. I think I need to get hold of all three of them and keep them for a long time to finally decide.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I'd go

1. Maple
2. Rosewood
3. Mahogany
Old 10-10-2020, 09:24 AM

I did the test in the General section and nailed the first one and then failed miserably on the second test. I sent myself to my room and just emerged 36 hours later today still ashamed of myself!
Old 10-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I did the test in the General section and nailed the first one and then failed miserably on the second test. I sent myself to my room and just emerged 36 hours later today still ashamed of myself!
Well, I am hopeful not to spend that much time in my room! Unless of course it is with my Kinnaird OMs.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
I'd go

1. Maple
2. Rosewood
3. Mahogany
That's what I got for the first test also, and for the second one:

Mahogany, Maple, Rosewood.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
I'd go

1. Maple
2. Rosewood
3. Mahogany

Second test is so difficult. My final answer is for second is:

1. Mahogany
2. Rosewood
3. Maple
Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Much appreciation to you who have "taken the test". And thanks to those who have posted their convictions. Condolences to those, too, who have gotten things upside down. For what this might be worth, neither Ryan nor I did 100% on the blind listening test that we imposed on ourselves. Ah well, the human ear--for all its amazing abilities--is not fool-proof.

Another point to report, which I find interesting from a player's perspective, is the difference in "feel". I made these necks as closely as I could (they weighed the same, for instance) and the action is set the same on these guitars. They are all strung with the same strings. But they "feel" different when playing. They elicit different responses from the player, and care had to be taken when playing the tests to approach each guitar with the same attack, same technique, etc.
Some of you who have multiple guitars from multiple builders, from who knows how many different tone woods, are familiar with this experience.
I found it interesting that three similar guitars from the same shop could display this phenomenon. If I was rather heartless, I would ask you to listen to the tests again and guess which one I enjoyed playing more.
Bwaahahahaha!!!!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 10-12-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Steve, I would also posit that different player's would make the same three guitars sound quite different from your demos.... The good news is that despite their perceived timbral differences, they all sounded like good guitars for a player to make music...
Old 10-12-2020, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

For those who would like to see the correct order being played for the two videos, here you go:

And,

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-12-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I was surprised at how small a difference I heard between all 3. Thought for sure the Maple vs the Rosewood would be miles apart. Couldn’t possibly choose which one I like best. Like choosing you favorite child. All sounded wonderful.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Brad, thanks for such kind words, and thanks again to everyone for taking the time to listen and give feedback.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Steve, I would also posit that different player's would make the same three guitars sound quite different from your demos.... The good news is that despite their perceived timbral differences, they all sounded like good guitars for a player to make music...
Thanks, Bob, for that vote of confidence!
But these guitars got me wondering how "fussy" we've become, whether builders, players or collectors? Straining at every last detail, listening to every spike in the frequency line... Which results in better guitars I know. But I bet our forebears would simply ask, can you dance to it? Does it make you tap your toes?

Steve

Old 10-13-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Thanks, Bob, for that vote of confidence!
But these guitars got me wondering how "fussy" we've become, whether builders, players or collectors? Straining at every last detail, listening to every spike in the frequency line... Which results in better guitars I know. But I bet our forebears would simply ask, can you dance to it? Does it make you tap your toes?

Steve
In the end, guitars are simply tools that hopefully get out of the way and support us in making music....

When we create custom instruments, we tend to focus on the ingredients (and talk about them!), the recipe and method of preparation is the main point of discussion as opposed to whether we enjoyed the meal! Great guitars have been shown time and time again to be made from a variety of materials. While there are audible differences between these three OMs, all of them are capable of sounding beautiful and supporting a musician to express themselves. The thing that we cannot hear via recording technology is the full experience of playing an instrument. I bet each makes the player feel different after playing the same piece on it. I do think players tend to hear a bit with their eyes and bring preconceived ideas about how tonewoods influence how an instrument sounds and your "experiment" illustrated that beautifully.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
In the end, guitars are simply tools that hopefully get out of the way and support us in making music....

When we create custom instruments, we tend to focus on the ingredients (and talk about them!), the recipe and method of preparation is the main point of discussion as opposed to whether we enjoyed the meal! Great guitars have been shown time and time again to be made from a variety of materials. While there are audible differences between these three OMs, all of them are capable of sounding beautiful and supporting a musician to express themselves. The thing that we cannot hear via recording technology is the full experience of playing an instrument. I bet each makes the player feel different after playing the same piece on it. I do think players tend to hear a bit with their eyes and bring preconceived ideas about how tonewoods influence how an instrument sounds and your "experiment" illustrated that beautifully.
I couldnae ha' said it better, lad!

Old 10-14-2020, 03:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

That was a great project. I know that my hearing ain’t what it used to be, and I’ve been told it never was great, but i didn’t hear much difference in the overall volume between the three guitars. There did seem to be some difference in the color and sustain.

I would like to hear your description of the differences you heard between the three and whether you had a favorite and a least favorite. (Is that a fair question?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop