The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 AM

Default My 1st build

I began my first project in September 2012 and just finished it on January 14, 2013. I was able to borrow my luthier's shop and tools to build this. He was very generous in allowing me to use his stuff and helpful tips along the way.
Due to work and family life I was only able to work on it maybe ten hours a week. Sometimes lucky to get around sixteen hours in. But all in all I think I completed it quite quickly.
There are a few mistakes here and there, of course given being a first time build. I didn't have an OM mold or jig to use, only a plexiglass cutout shape to check my bent sides on. So I had to bend my sides by hand since no molds. (I should have bought one). So as you will see in the pics, my sides and waist did not come out perfectly proportioned to each other, in which you can see in the upper bout regions. As much as I would liked to have received full symmetry and balance, I just didn't get it. Since this was basically just an attempt to build one and see just what I could come up with, I wasn't expecting full perfection anyway.
I had in mind I wanted an OM to handle strumming since that's primarily what I do. I wanted a somewhat vintage vibe about the guitar as well. I was after a balanced tone with a hint of bottom end and a woody tone. I like the tone of Martins so I was going after that.
I decided I'd go with forward-shifted bracing, but non-scalloped straight bracing. I love how my straight braced D-18 sounds so I thought I'd use that bracing design in my OM, but move the x-brace more towards the soundhole to hopefully open up a bit more bass.
I bought 3 tops to choose from - Sitka, Carpathian, and Port Orford. After running them all through the sander, the Sitka and PO were done around .118. They had a nice tap tone and wobble feel at those measurements. The Carpathian wasn't done sanding down until around .094. So it was stiffer and lighter than the others, so since I was after an OM to handle strumming I chose to go for the Carp. I'm glad I did.
The tone has constantly been changing since I finished the guitar 3 days ago, for the better. It's definately a dry, woody, balanced, bass is clearly evident, crisp and very articulate, and sustaining. Describing what it compares to is a bit difficult, but I'd say its a mix between a Martin and Larrivee maybe. I took it to a local guitar shop here in Oslo, Norway and compared it along some other high end Martins. It blew away the 16 series OM they had. Came extremely comparable to a 900 series Taylor, but the Taylor had more sparkle and clarity which I expected anyway.
We also took it to my friend's studio and tracked it along with his Martin OM-28EC and he even thought mine sounded better than his. I agreed. So it's been interesting to see how it's turned out.
I'm quite sure the tone will still be evolving even more as I'm playing on it each day as it continues to open up. I'm to go back in to the studio one day next week and track it again... then I'll upload the sound clips here and let you guys hear how it sounds.
All in all I'm quite pleased with my deformed looking OM. I already have 3 people who want me to build them one now after seeing and playing mine, despite the cosmetic imperfections it had. One of them being the guitar shop owner who was floored by it and also that it was only my first build. He also said if I was to continue building models that he would put them up in his shop to sale. Wow, never thought things could come along so fast. But I'll be taking a break for a while from thinking of jumping in so soon to building more for now.. my brain needs to relax a bit since I've been thinking and studying so much these past few months on acoustics and building. My wife would be happy too if I was to take a break.
Here are the specs of my OM:

- 25.5" scale
- between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut width (44mm)
- 2 1/8" bridge string spacing
- Carpathian spruce top
- Honduran Mahogany back and sides
- Ebony fingerboard, bridge and pins
- Brazilian rosewood headplate and heel cap
- Celluloid tortoise binding
- Forward-shift bracing, straight-braced, 5/16"
- Grover Sta-tite tuners
- Bone nut and saddle
- MOP inlay logo on headstock
- Oil varnish finish
- JJB330 pickup (K&K pure mini basically)

Jared Booth

Last edited by jared1177; 01-17-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 AM

Man, that is a fantastic looking guitar. Beautifully crafted.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 AM

Nice! I love the understated tonewoods and appointments. What are your plans for the next one!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Nice! I love the understated tonewoods and appointments. What are your plans for the next one!
Thanks.

For the next one... hmm.. well I'd love to build more. But no time soon quitting my day job to do it, so would have to be a few hours again every week.
If I was to do future builds, I would be more incline to just 00's, 0M's/000's, and dreads. I know the most about those. I'm a mahogany back/sides guy, but I have much respect for rosewood. I would probably do a rosewood dread next with either Carpathian again for the top or Sitka... yet I'm just itching to hear what my Port Orford piece would sound like. It oozes with aroma! Smells wonderful. I would probably initiatie again the same bracing I used in my current OM. I need to find my signature sound, but could take a few builds to find that. I'm very happy with what I've achieved on the first. I do have access to a side bending machine for a dread and also a mold for that, so then I know it would turn out symmetric, unlike how my OM turned out, which isn't drastically noticeable but it is to me since I know all the mistakes. My idea is to build simplistic, functional guitars geared to a vintage look. I have access to nitro finishing from my luthier here, but the feel of oil varnish on a guitar feels and sounds wonderful, maybe I'd continue doing varnish. Finishing is the hardest thing I believe to perfect.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 AM

It looks great. Congratulations on completing such a fine guitar on your first try!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Very nice! Good inspiration for me as I'm slowly working on my first build. The imperfection in symmetry you noted is just a bit of character that I'm sure almost all first builds will have in some fashion
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM

Awesome first effort!

Pat
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheEar View Post
Very nice! Good inspiration for me as I'm slowly working on my first build. The imperfection in symmetry you noted is just a bit of character that I'm sure almost all first builds will have in some fashion
Yea, I suppose you're right. Goes to show it doesn't have to be perfect in every way in order to sound phenomenal. I believe the main objectives are to have nice woods to begin with, have great bracing and the neck angle and intonation set well.. I believe anyone could achieve great things.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Do what I do when I make a mistake; tell them it's a feature! "Yes, the asymmetry is part of the design of this model. As I fashion future models, I expect to move toward more symmetrical shapes, but felt this particular build would benefit greatly from a slighly canted construction."

See that! Now it's something you can charge extra for!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Do what I do when I make a mistake; tell them it's a feature! "Yes, the asymmetry is part of the design of this model. As I fashion future models, I expect to move toward more symmetrical shapes, but felt this particular build would benefit greatly from a slighly canted construction."

See that! Now it's something you can charge extra for!!

Haha. I made a joke with a friend of mine after I finished the guitar saying the asymmetry stirs up some magical flow of vibration of waves inside the guitar that bounce from one lop-sided side to the other, thus ricocheting the tone hugely out the soundhole causing a killer unheard of tone that no builder had yet to acheive.... he believed it at first until I couldn't hold the smirk on my face in any longer, then I had to belt out a laugh. It was definately fun to pull. So I agree with you! I did my mistake on purpose. hehe. But hoping not to do it again on my next builds.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Congrats for your first build, it's always exciting..
Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1177 View Post
Thanks.

For the next one... hmm.. well I'd love to build more. But no time soon quitting my day job to do it, so would have to be a few hours again every week.
If I was to do future builds, I would be more incline to just 00's, 0M's/000's, and dreads. I know the most about those. I'm a mahogany back/sides guy, but I have much respect for rosewood. I would probably do a rosewood dread next with either Carpathian again for the top or Sitka...
You're welcome. My first is listed in my sig (though it's not done at this time.) I've been accumulating material for the next one which is exactly what you stated yours will be: a Carpathian/EIR dreadnought. I hear that EIR bends and holds its shape very well, though it can gum up a sander. Carpathian comes highly recommended too and I can't wait to work with it as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Excellent Job my friend...she's lovely
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1177 View Post
Haha. I made a joke with a friend of mine after I finished the guitar saying the asymmetry stirs up some magical flow of vibration of waves inside the guitar that bounce from one lop-sided side to the other, thus ricocheting the tone hugely out the soundhole causing a killer unheard of tone that no builder had yet to acheive.... he believed it at first until I couldn't hold the smirk on my face in any longer, then I had to belt out a laugh. It was definately fun to pull. So I agree with you! I did my mistake on purpose. hehe. But hoping not to do it again on my next builds.
Very funny!!

Forgot to mention that I am very impressed with your finished product and your ambition. Next time, perhaps you can include shots of your progress. Many of the wonderful luthiers here are very giving people, and as you go along, if you ask for advice, you'll get terrific input. More than anything, just keep going and enjoy. And thanks for sharing!! Post up some sound clips of that baby!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM

Default Building process

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Very funny!!

Forgot to mention that I am very impressed with your finished product and your ambition. Next time, perhaps you can include shots of your progress. Many of the wonderful luthiers here are very giving people, and as you go along, if you ask for advice, you'll get terrific input. More than anything, just keep going and enjoy. And thanks for sharing!! Post up some sound clips of that baby!
I appreciate the comments. I did take a few pics along the way of the progress, though with my phone camera, so not the best quality. I can upload them here to show off. I'll definately post the sound clips, I'm back in the studio either monday or tues next week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop