The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 AM

Default Hello from a new member - custom build thread to start me off!

Hello all.

Been browsing for a while and decided to step up and say hello and show you the reason I've been lurking!

A good friend of mine has been a Luthier here in Northern Ireland for 25 years. He works for a certain rather famous NI based maker but does repairs and makes bespoke guitars too.

I was round at his house one night as I'm helping to build his website for him - and we got talking about tonewood. Its worth saying at this point... I've played guitar for about 30 years but mostly lead and bass. I've had a few Yamaha acoustics over the years, but havent had an acoustic for the last 10. When it comes to the finer detail about them.. I hadn't a clue.

So anyway.. we got talking tonewood. I'd been round his workshop and drooled at the amazing grains. Names I'd never heard of.. the smell.. the look... quite blown away.

Later that night I spent an hour before bed looking up and down the listings of tonewood on eBay - and my eye fell EVERY time on a bookmatched set of Bocote. Just something about it that REALLY clicked with me. It was quite hypnotic.

1.30am I woke and rather than rolling over.. reached for my smartphone! 5 minutes later... I'd won the auction Here's the piece in question:

My friends website isnt live yet.. but I'll post some pics and videos of the build here if you chaps want to see it. It will be a truly beautiful thing when done. Here's a sampler of what I think I'll be going with for the woods:

I've gone for an adirondack top. Claro walnut rosette with paua shell inlay. Bocote back and sides. Neck is undecided... I'm thinking maple with ebony fingerboard. The 12th fret will carry my initials in a shell inlay. Tuners will be antique gold/satin Gotoh 510's. Bindings... well, in the pic above I thought of staying light but my friend has a set of snakewood bindings that he thinks will look great. I'll see... I'm a believer that less is more. Finally, I'll be going for a discrete semi acoustic install with an Fishman Eclipse system hidden away inside. I enjoy a bit of home recording with a Boss BR-800 system so this will be perfect!

Here's the shape and dimensions. I had planned to go for a cutaway - but if you look at that pic of the back, its SO symmetrical and heavily grained at the upper bout that I dont want to lose that show of grain. So, full bodied it is.

Anyway, thats my intro. Nice to meet you all and I hope that you can maybe help me in my wood choices as this build progresses and that you enjoy meeting my Luthier as his website launches.

Last edited by Johnny_E; 09-25-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 AM

welcome johnny_e! that's a fabulous figured bocote back and the side looks great too. what does it tap like? i wonder... does your friends boss know about his break-away? he'll be wondering about who it is. lol. looking forward to the business startup and build pictures.

simon.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoiner View Post
welcome johnny_e! that's a fabulous figured bocote back and the side looks great too. what does it tap like? i wonder... does your friends boss know about his break-away? he'll be wondering about who it is. lol. looking forward to the business startup and build pictures.

simon.
Hi Simon.

Yes - its all been discussed openly and amicably.

He has a facebook page up and I've video'd some of the build which is already on youtube. I'll post those links here at the relevant part of the build so it fits in the timeline as such.

I'm no expert on the details.. but to me, the tap is wonderful. I'm assured it will all sound great. The Bocote is almost pore free and was a tight wood to bend. Smelt wonderful as it hissed under the heat!

Have to say, being involved in picking every detail is probably going to be as much fun as owning the finished guitar.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 AM

I've a bit of catching up to get to the current build, so I'll post away here. Fairly picture heavy!!

Cutting the back

First - the 2 halves must be planed square:

Next, adhesive is applied to the join and the 2 halves are clamped down in a custom made jig. I've decided to leave the back plain - I want the grain to be the star of the show and therefore opted for no central inlay strip (or whatever the technical name is for that!!)

Once its bonded, its time to cut. The chalk lines above were from the tonewood supplier, Now, the REAL lines go on.

For my guitar though... Bocote, despite its good looks here, is a rather weedy looking thing. Not the biggest of trunks. This will present itself a big issue - but one that my luthier is ready for!

OK. You see the issue?

Here it is a tad closer. Time to work some magic and splice in some wings. Note the pencil lines, where the best match lines up

And here we have the complete back. Theres excess adhesive drying in....

But when all is done... its an amazing piece of work!

Finally, it goes into the mother of all belt sanders It really is some bit of kit. Conveyor belt draws the piece in as the drum does its work.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:26 AM

That Bocote looks amazing. Not one I've come across. Perhaps luthiers that have used it could comment.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:00 AM

The only green back I've seen was Andy McKee's Greenfiled baritone.. but it looks like tinted (it's maple i think...). this is natural. i'm definitely going to chceck this thread
Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 AM

hi Johnny,
Bocote looks great and is well thought off as a tonewood by some luthiers.
As for the neck, what about flamed maple as in the Bensusan model which would add to the sustain - depending on what your after of course.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about this maker - all in good time
Geo
Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Moyle View Post
That Bocote looks amazing. Not one I've come across. Perhaps luthiers that have used it could comment.
Trevor,
We've used it before, mainly in accent pieces, and are building one right now out of it. It is a cousin to ziricote (both in the cordia genus). It smells like dill pickles to me (not a pickle fan), but looks incredible - especially when aged as it turns a dark golden brown. It is intensely yellow when freshly sanded, splintery, but taps like glass. It makes a fine guitar, especially if you like crazy looking wood.

Not bad for a first post Johnny. Keep em coming.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
As for the neck, what about flamed maple as in the Bensusan model which would add to the sustain - depending on what your after of course.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about this maker - all in good time
Geo
Thats exactly what was suggested to me - flamed maple. I've been a long time liker of maple necks on my lead guitars so I had wanted maple on this acoustic. Thats why you can see above I had gone for flamed maple bindings too. I found that the distinct yellowish colour of the Bocote clashed with most of the offerings. My Luthier suggests snakewood bindings - but I fear they are too orangey/brown. I'll get some pics of the choices later.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:55 PM

Default Bocote Bindings Here

I have a shortened scale 12-string from Steve Kinnaird with Bocote bindings and faceplate on the peghead - stunning stuff under finish!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Sample of Finished Bocote

My shortened-scale 12-string peghead...bindings are also Bocote...nice stuff.
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
I have a shortened scale 12-string from Steve Kinnaird with Bocote bindings and faceplate on the peghead - stunning stuff under finish!
Great grain there indeed! Quite like zebrano in its look.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 AM

Default Bracing the back

Now its time to strengthen the back via braces/struts. First, a central spine is created from off cuts of Bocote, bonded into place and then given a rounded profile by hand. The lower portion is chiselled away (you'll see why later in the build).

Next, slots are hand sawn away to allow the horizontal struts in. Every time I look at this, I'm sure I'd leave a dirty big stripe in the wood

Here we have the struts in place

And now, bonding into place in the cradle. The back is pressed down hard into the bowl.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

That wood looks fantastic Johnny, welcome to posting and thanks for a great thread.

Col
Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM

I am stunned by the beauty of that back, and I love the shape too. I'm in agreement with you on less is more, but judging by the good work of your luthier I'm guessing he wouldn't steer you wrong with the snake haha. Keep us all posted!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop