The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2021, 06:08 AM

Scott, I ordered the guitar but I don’t have it yet. Here in the relative guitar desert of southern Ontario, the local retailer tells me it might take 90-100 days. Ouch! According to the store, this is what Eastman told them. But hopefully it doesn’t take that long and in the meantime I’ve got a few others to keep me company. Also, I’ve got a Guild F-30 on the way, which should be here by Friday or Saturday.

So for now I’m patiently waiting for the Eastman. I’ll be sure to do a NGD post when I have it. Thanks for the music and Eastman advocacy! It was a big help in the decision-making process.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 02-14-2021, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
Scott, I ordered the guitar but I don’t have it yet. Here in the relative guitar desert of southern Ontario, the local retailer tells me it might take 90-100 days. Ouch! According to the store, this is what Eastman told them. But hopefully it doesn’t take that long and in the meantime I’ve got a few others to keep me company. Also, I’ve got a Guild F-30 on the way, which should be here by Friday or Saturday.

So for now I’m patiently waiting for the Eastman. I’ll be sure to do a NGD post when I have it. Thanks for the music and Eastman advocacy! It was a big help in the decision-making process.
JHey, well, as they say, "Good things come to those who wait." I spoke to my friends at Eastman last summer and they were blitzed with orders. In fact I posted an article a while about Fender having so much business in 2020 they couldn't keep up with demand. And this appears to be the story across the industry, CLP had a banner year in 2020, a year where, during a pandemic, I expected our sales to go to zero. Instead, the opposite happened.

The biking industry has also been flourishing the last year, so much so that they have the same back-order issue as Eastman.

JHey, once you have her in the barn and put her through her paces, we'd love to see a post of your impressions. If not here, feel free to PM me.

All the best to you,
scott memmer
Old 02-16-2021, 06:06 PM

Hey!

Quick update.. I've had the E10SS for about four weeks, and in those weeks I have played it a lot (I'm working from home, so basically I play it throughout the day and then in the evening at least another hour or more.

Initial thoughts: I think what they say about the Adirondack top is true.. You have to play it for a little while, a good 20-30 minutes and it begins to sound a bit more open and has a great natural resonance and reverb. When I play it lightly you can really hear the natural overtones and woodiness really well.

Strings: So in those past few weeks I have gone thru 4 string changes and I have to say this guitar is very sensitive to different strings. The tone (especially the low end/bass response) is really affected depending on the strings that I had on.

It came with the D'addarios, which at first, I initially didn't care for, I felt that it muffled the 6th- E string, almost took away some of the nice strong bass response, but the day that I changed them I immediately regretted it. I think that after the first week the D'addario's were finally sounding really nice. (they were the strings that the previous owner had on. Who knows for how long, which is why I initially changed them.)

I had the Martin Retro Monels (nickel) on for two or three days and I couldn't stand them. I immediately took them off and put them on another guitar.

When I put on the Elixir Nanowebs, I think it just sounded better with them on. Really nice full rich sound.

Right now it has had the Martin Lifespan 2.0's on for a full day, I am going to give it about two weeks and see if the strings settle in nicely, but so far they sound just OK.

Conclusion: I really think the Daddario EXP 16 lights, were beginning to sound nice. I will put them on again and see if I prefer them over the Elixir Nano Phs/bronze. But overall, the guitar sounds great. Just be careful with the Nitrocellulose finish, it is very light, and easy to scratch.

-EXP 16 Daddario (12's) - Ok, will try again
-Martin Retro Monels (12's) - Didn't like them at all
-Elixir Nanowebs (12's) - Great sound and feel
-Martin Lifespan 2.0 Phos/Bronze (12's) - Ok, but we will see..
Old 02-16-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

I put a set of GHS Americana Series Meds on my 2012 E10SS and promptly put away my Martins. I'm liking the big bass along with the short scale. It doesn't sound like a J45 but I think these strings bring out some nice tone. YMMV of course. Just a nice change from my OM18 and D28 but they'll be back. I like D'addario NB meds on the Martins.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
I put a set of GHS Americana Series Meds on my 2012 E10SS and promptly put away my Martins. I'm liking the big bass along with the short scale. It doesn't sound like a J45 but I think these strings bring out some nice tone. YMMV of course. Just a nice change from my OM18 and D28 but they'll be back. I like D'addario NB meds on the Martins.
My E-10SS is my number #1 guitar. I have a fantastic older HD-28, but I find the Eastman to be a better fingerstyle instrument. The Martin is no slouch, so that's really saying something.

scott memmer
Old 02-17-2021, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Try GHS Vintage Bronze strings. GHS have great volume and low end, and the VB strings are a little more mellow to offset the brighter Adi top and bring out that woody Mahogany body. I use them on all my Mahogany body guitars, including my E10SS/v.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:13 AM

I have an E10 SS/v that is fantastic! It's a lifetime guitar.

I can't recommend them highly enough.
Recording King RO227
Fender FR-50
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Blueridge BR 180
Eastman E10 SS/v
Old 02-17-2021, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I own four Eastman's so I have nothing derogatory to say about the brand in general but for me the E10SS has a 1 11/16" nut which won't work for me. If it works for you then go for it!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-17-2021, 01:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile1 View Post
I have an E10 SS/v that is fantastic! It's a lifetime guitar.

I can't recommend them highly enough.
Mobile, and that one is a stunner to look at too. Just gorgeous.

scott memmer
Old 03-15-2021, 03:23 PM

Update: I found out that my order, which I placed 1/21/21 with a local retailer, won’t be fulfilled until *maybe* mid June. So, I canceled and got my deposit back. I’m pretty bummed that I won’t be getting the E10ss I ordered and have been anxiously awaiting for the last ~2 months.

On the other hand, I found another one (manufactured January 2021) through a different retailer about 290 miles east of me for the exact same price, in stock and ready to ship. I should have it in hand before week’s end. The guy at the shop was gushing over the particular guitar and was happy to talk to me about it for 20 minutes. Perhaps he’s just a good salesman and/or I’m an easy mark, but if it’s half as good as he says it is then I’ll be a happy customer. I’ll do an NGD post when I get it and have some time to reflect.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
Update: I found out that my order, which I placed 1/21/21 with a local retailer, won’t be fulfilled until *maybe* mid June. So, I canceled and got my deposit back. I’m pretty bummed that I won’t be getting the E10ss I ordered and have been anxiously awaiting for the last ~2 months.

On the other hand, I found another one (manufactured January 2021) through a different retailer about 290 miles east of me for the exact same price, in stock and ready to ship. I should have it in hand before week’s end. The guy at the shop was gushing over the particular guitar and was happy to talk to me about it for 20 minutes. Perhaps he’s just a good salesman and/or I’m an easy mark, but if it’s half as good as he says it is then I’ll be a happy customer. I’ll do an NGD post when I get it and have some time to reflect.
If it's set up and dialed in property, the gushing is not a fib. You've heard mine. Stunning guitar for any price.

PM me if you like.

scott memmer
Old 03-15-2021, 03:51 PM

Thanks, Scott. You have a fine one, indeed! We talked a bit about how I’d like it set up so I’m hopeful it arrives ready to play to my heart’s content.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion