The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 07:40 PM

Default Low E String through Loudbox Mini

Hi everyone, I could use a little advice for anyone experienced with the Loudbox Mini.

I'm just getting familiar with my New Martin D-16e and Fishman Loudbox Mini. Through the Loudbox Mini it seems the volume or "impact" of the low E string is slightly less pronounced than when unplugged. When plucking it individually I can't really noticed much difference against the other strings and even checked it with a DB meter on my iPhone app and its within 4db of the A string. I notice the tone and impact of the low E not as impactful as unplugged during regular playing.

I've searched and read all the saddle height/pickup posts but I'm not really versed in all this to check it... I'd have to bring it in, although my guess is....

Since the Loudbox mini has a smallish speaker, I'm thinking I won't get the bass string to cut through the mix as much as when unplugged... am I wrong? Has anyone noticed a little more bass unplugged, particular the low E cutting through the mix against the other ringing strings?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2021, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

When plugging into any amp labeled (mini) you are at the mercy of the amp. Only way I can make an amplified acoustic, sound the way "I want". Is through 15" PA speakers. Not as convenient as a Loudbox though.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:14 PM

I get plenty of bass and volume coming out of mine. Sometimes too much. All balanced across the strings.

Try a different guitar for experimental purposes and see what it sounds like.
What pickup system are you using? if it's an under saddle, maybe the transducer isn't seated properly. Have you experimented with the phase switch? It can have an impact on bass.

Just some ideas.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 01-22-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Balance View Post
Hi everyone, I could use a little advice for anyone experienced with the Loudbox Mini.

I'm just getting familiar with my New Martin D-16e and Fishman Loudbox Mini. Through the Loudbox Mini it seems the volume or "impact" of the low E string is slightly less pronounced than when unplugged. When plucking it individually I can't really noticed much difference against the other strings and even checked it with a DB meter on my iPhone app and its within 4db of the A string. I notice the tone and impact of the low E not as impactful as unplugged during regular playing.

I've searched and read all the saddle height/pickup posts but I'm not really versed in all this to check it... I'd have to bring it in, although my guess is....

Since the Loudbox mini has a smallish speaker, I'm thinking I won't get the bass string to cut through the mix as much as when unplugged... am I wrong? Has anyone noticed a little more bass unplugged, particular the low E cutting through the mix against the other ringing strings?

Thanks!
I run all of my guitars through my Loudbox Mini, and have no issues with bass response. Do you have a tone control on your guitar?
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-23-2021, 01:10 AM

The pickup does have a transducer. It’s the Fishman Matrix VT (non Aura) that comes standard in the Martin 15 /16 series guitars.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:51 PM

Well, I think I solved the problem.. either that or it’s just in my head!

I followed the advice from a search I did on this forum where one gentleman recommended to a poster to loosen all the strings and tap on the saddle with just enough force to crack an egg...

I did this on the bass side only, then I retightened the strings to pitch starting with the LOW E And working my way one at a time to the high E... seemed to do the trick. All the strings seem roughly the same volume now through the amp with the higher strings, notably the D & G string seemingly maybe a little higher in volume but maybe only enough to chalk it up to just perceived loudness due to pitch.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:57 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Balance View Post
Well, I think I solved the problem.. either that or it’s just in my head!

I followed the advice from a search I did on this forum where one gentleman recommended to a poster to loosen all the strings and tap on the saddle with just enough force to crack an egg...

I did this on the bass side only, then I retightened the strings to pitch starting with the LOW E And working my way one at a time to the high E... seemed to do the trick. All the strings seem roughly the same volume now through the amp with the higher strings, notably the D & G string seemingly maybe a little higher in volume but maybe only enough to chalk it up to just perceived loudness due to pitch.
Well played (literally!)...
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion