The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Default my new/old Dr. Conant custom dreadnaught

I am fairly new to guitar, almost 3 years now. I have put off posting about this guitar because I cannot find the adequate words to describe it. Although new to guitar I do know what is pleasing to my ear. I have some pretty nice instruments to compare this guitar to.

I have a Yairi WY1K that although kind of thin sounding unplugged is absolutely rich and stunning amped. I have a Taylor 614ce that is wonderful to me with a balance and tone that never ceases to put a smile on my face. I have a Yamaha DW8-12 with a nicely figured spruce top that has tons of tone and projects really strongly.

This dread built in 1999 by Jonathan Conant projects like nothing I have heard, it is loud! sustain seems unending. extremely well balanced. almost perfect intonation without compensated saddle. I dont really know the lingo to describe what it sounds like to me. I guess if you take the best of what a high end Taylor does and the best of what a Martin HD-28 does then that is this Conant guitar. pretty new to the site as a whole so its still a mystery to post pics and I have never posted a sound clip ever anywhere. when I am able to do it I will. I just dont know if a clip from a DR-05 will sound good by the time I get it uploaded.

Let me end this by saying that I am grateful that I bid on it, pleased that I did not let this thing get away and happy to make a new friend in Dave who sold me my new toy. I am really loving this guitar and the fact that it has been played a lot put me off at first but now I can just sit back and enjoy this axe and not worry about dings and scratches because it already has them. I hope to take my newfound treasure by a couple of really good players and have them describe what it sounds like to them, maybe they can articulate what I am hearing.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM

I have NEVER had seller's remorse as great as I have over letting go of this guitar! I just hope the guitar I sold it to buy is everything I am expecting it to be, because there is no way it could ever be what Dr. Conant's guitar is. My only consolation is that he is currently building me a new OM. Hope you saw my email where I offered you an instant $500 profit if YOU ever go to sell this dread by giving me first shot at it! I'll be posting soundclips of the parlor soon. By the way, you need only go to soundcloud.com to record clips you can then click on Share to post in a thread on a forum. I'd like to hear you playing my old baby. Been going nuts without her. WHAT was I thinking?!

Last edited by rlouie; 03-22-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM

I need to check my email more often Dave, I did not see your email to me until I read your reply. I sometimes give guitars away and I have sold one but I will never get rid of the Conant dread, sorry dude. I hope to get an OM from him in the future if all goes well. I really love this one.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarlover View Post
I need to check my email more often Dave, I did not see your email to me until I read your reply. I sometimes give guitars away and I have sold one but I will never get rid of the Conant dread, sorry dude. I hope to get an OM from him in the future if all goes well. I really love this one.
I'm surprised you didn't ad "nanny nanny boo boo!".
Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM

lol I wouldn't do that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop