The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM

Some pics of the frets going in...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM

Time for tuners.. Gotoh 510's. I'd originally picked an antique gold, but we've used alot of ebony on the guitar - and the bocote has such a black grain... so I went for "Cosmos Black":

Time now to shape and fit the solid white mother of pearl nut and saddle:

Marking the nut for grinding

Theres some work to do here!

Using a template to get the curve just right

And marking.

The shape is sanded/ground down. He said this mother or pearl was REALLY tough compared to the normal bone thats used. Should wear well!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM

Shaping the nut..

and marking the string positions

before cutting the slots:

Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Nearly there!! Time for the makers label and the strings:

Dated Dec 24th - what a treat that was for Christmas!

Strings slot into the oiled bridge...

And we're done. Its finished!!! 13 months.... a pure labour of love and something I will treasure and pass on to my boy some day.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM

I received these 2 pics with the email to tell me it was ready to collect. I love the hand finished satin... 000 gauge wire wool brings the gloss lacquer to this soft hue:

Once home, I got some rough shots to show some of the details - but to be honest, these do it no justice.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Oh... one last surprise.. Dave handed me 2 wrapped presents with the guitar and inside were these...

Both made from the last off cuts of the wood that my guitar back and sides were made of! A lovely touch. The pen comes in a rosewood case that flips up to create a desk stand for it.

I hope you've enjoyed following this picture thread. I'm LOVING the guitar. I dabble a bit with a Boss BR-800 digital recording setup and had planned to install a pickup system in this.. but so far, am just enjoying having a return to acoustics.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Wow! Beautiful guitar and fantastic build thread. This one was worth seeing the details of every step. I was afraid the soundboard was going to look kind of plain, but the bridge and rosette really look great on that field of spruce. Enjoy your work of art!

Edit: How do you like the sound hole?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Wow! Beautiful guitar and fantastic build thread. This one was worth seeing the details of every step. I was afraid the soundboard was going to look kind of plain, but the bridge and rosette really look great on that field of spruce. Enjoy your work of art!

Edit: How do you like the sound hole?
The soundhole/port... It adds a subtle width to the sound. If you strum a chord and take your free hand over to cover it, you hear a noticeable difference. Its partly a breadth to the tone but I think alot of the change is due to the fact that the guitar lets the sound flood you as a player - rather than projecting it forwards.

Either way.. its a great addition.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Setting aside the fabulousness of the build details, which I haven't stopped reading even to go the pissoir, the main thing I got from this is not even begin to build a guitar without all the tools at the luthier's shop.

I have been toying with it, being an amateur woodworker, but after viewing this I realize that some very important details have been omitted: The measuring devices and superb accuracy of the router settings to make the rosette fit perfectly, the cutting of the mother of pearl inlay on the arc, and dozens of other measurements which must have been calculated for a custom guitar. I can't imagine the hundreds of hours Dave spent on this one design and build.

Or the cost.

In any event, many many thanks for taking the time to do this thread. It was almost as thrilling as a James Bond movie.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy View Post
Setting aside the fabulousness of the build details, which I haven't stopped reading even to go the pissoir, the main thing I got from this is not even begin to build a guitar without all the tools at the luthier's shop.
And thank YOU for the laughter I couldn't stop with the new word in my vocabulary... 'pissoir'

I had a chance today to try and get some better shots of the finished article which I'll post now. Enjoy!

Here are a couple of full shots - sitting pretty on a lovely "Cooper Stand".

Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop