The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-31-2018, 07:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tom's neck is carved and ready for the logo and the heel cap:

The fingerboard is a shadow of what it will be, visually, once it is polished and fretted.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:22 AM

The fingerboard is a shadow of what it will be, visually, once it is polished and fretted.

Yes, this is going to look great. I can not wait to see what the fingerboard does with some elbow grease. Love the BRW and I know how good the Italian Spruce top is, but I think in terms of design elements, that fretboard may be the star of the show.

Tom
Old 09-02-2018, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday I completed Tom's neck and got some sealer on it:

Old 09-02-2018, 01:24 PM

"S" for super!!!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am down to my last two sets (of 17) of the great quartersawn Pernambuco I managed to snag most of ten years ago. Then a few weeks ago a guy called me . . . and he's bringing a serious chunk of wood by this afternoon which may prove to be actual P big enough for as many as 8 nearly quartered guitars.

While waiting for him to arrive I somehow prepped and sealed Tom's guitar body:

Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Man, that BRW is gorgeous! Tom you are one lucky guy! I hope I can afford some of that when my turn comes around.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Man, that BRW is gorgeous! Tom you are one lucky guy! I hope I can afford some of that when my turn comes around.
I have to agree, but luck does come with working 15 hours a day too!!!! LOL.

In addition to how good that BRW looks already, isn't that snakewood a perfect complement? The base color pulls out the reddish orange streaks in the BRW and the black in the snakewood works off the dark sections! So pleased with that choice!!!

This guitar is getting really close if we take away the wait for the finish to cure!

Thanks, Bruce.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

About 7 days of Varnish work followed by a month or so of patience, and then another 3 to 5 days of seriously demanding physical attention (typical work, in other words).

In just three more weeks I am off for 21 days in Italy centered around the Cremona Stringed Instrument Show. That means that final semi-week of work will take place around the last part of October if I am to give Jet lag its due.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
You have perhaps 16 months to figure out you strategy, Dennis. My wood becomes unavailable as people speak for it, and right this moment there are about 30 more sets of BRW in my woodlocker, though not all of it is the high end perfection some dream about. That said, most of it it is well above average in any era, and none of it is inadequate. Not everyone wants BRW even if they could afford it, and it would be nearly beyond comprehension to have all of it spoken for before you get around to making your choice.

Many of my adventures customers of discriminating taste and capable financial means choose Pernambuco over BRW. In fact, as of last week I am down to just 2 sets remaining from the 17 great sets I acquired a dozen or so years ago. I do have another 3 sets here, but they are not quartered and my confidence in them in concentrated on my belief that they absolutely WILL crack once built into a guitar.

A few weeks ago I heard about a large board that had been in the country for at least 40 years, and today I came to an agreement with its former owner. Now it is a matter of figuring our how best to mill it. It is 7/8" x 16.5" x 98".

On a barely related subject, while walking in the 19th century Fort Ross ca Orchard with my family I noticed a really nice pear tree about 2' in diameter. . . no, I wouldn't do that.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
You have perhaps 16 months to figure out you strategy, Dennis. My wood becomes unavailable as people speak for it, and right this moment there are about 30 more sets of BRW in my woodlocker, though not all of it is the high end perfection some dream about. That said, most of it it is well above average in any era, and none of it is inadequate. Not everyone wants BRW even if they could afford it, and it would be nearly beyond comprehension to have all of it spoken for before you get around to making your choice.

And if I recall correctly, those sets of BRW get their own special cabinet! Worthy of the VIP treatment.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Music soothes the soul!

It really will depend on work schedule but right now I’m trying to work out a wood selection trip to Petaluma sometime in the Spring. I will coordinate as soon as I can get some agreements from my boss.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
It really will depend on work schedule but right now I’m trying to work out a wood selection trip to Petaluma sometime in the Spring. I will coordinate as soon as I can get some agreements from my boss.
One of my favorite pass times is hosting my customer/friends and touring the woodlocker!

Today I made a bridge (as a teaching aid to Laurelyn) and then glued it onto the Limba. Laurelyn made one too, and will likely glue it on to her guitar tomorrow while I am busy stringing mine. Oh yeah!!!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 PM

I can't recall - is that black limba sold? Some of the most beautiful wood I've even seen on that.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I can't recall - is that black limba sold? Some of the most beautiful wood I've even seen on that.
The Black Limba story is a bit up in the air at the moment. I thought I was making it to take to Italy later this month. But I did not sell the “known to be incredible” Tree 00 at the Vancouver show, and in addition the 00 is relatively small and we will be traveling four in a car with our luggage. So, unless somebody steps up for the 00, I think that is what I will take to Cremona.

Of course it may be that when I hear the Limba (tomorrow?) I will rethink the whole thing. I certainly agree that it is stunning to look at, and I see no reason why it won’t be up to snuff; my last Limba was certainly an overachiever. Should I price it off the pricing of when I started it, or the pricing of today? Not rhetorical.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Laurelyn and I have come to the end of our summer adventure, and she has headed back to Sacramento to start her new job next Monday. We strung her guitar today, and it is pretty great right out of the gate, certainly better to my ear than the Limba I strung up yesterday, not that the Limba is wanting in any way, but the L00 seems sweeter to me. Perhaps this is just because of the summer it represents. It is bittersweet.

There are more pictures, but I we will wait for Laurelyn to post them in her thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop