The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 07-28-2016, 11:10 PM

Well as you might suspect, I'm a pick geek from way back and yours have caught my attention. I find myself switching between a Blue Chip TP50 and a Red Bear Style E Hvy. The RB is very, very mellow and warm, the round edge attenuating the high freqs pretty well. The BC TP has a bit more point to it and has a nice high end for banging out loud chording. But that said, I'm always up for a new mousetrap.......

Since I have no micrometer to check the thickness of the RB, can you tell me which of your nt series is in the neighborhood of a Style E heavy? And.....I prefer my picks without grip holes.........is this possible?

Thanks.....please advise.........
Old 07-29-2016, 02:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc-a-Roo View Post
Well as you might suspect, I'm a pick geek from way back and yours have caught my attention. I find myself switching between a Blue Chip TP50 and a Red Bear Style E Hvy. The RB is very, very mellow and warm, the round edge attenuating the high freqs pretty well. The BC TP has a bit more point to it and has a nice high end for banging out loud chording. But that said, I'm always up for a new mousetrap.......

Since I have no micrometer to check the thickness of the RB, can you tell me which of your nt series is in the neighborhood of a Style E heavy? And.....I prefer my picks without grip holes.........is this possible?

Thanks.....please advise.........
Buc, hi. I’ll try to keep this short, but that’s impossible. I’m very enthusiastic about this stuff.

Let me say first, I believe in promoting the whole upscale pick category, not just Charmed Life. We are huge fans of both BC and RB, and wouldn’t even be doing what we’re doing if it wasn’t for those two companies. To our knowledge, we’re the only company in the industry using both of these revered materials. We were caught totally flatfooted and blew through almost everything we had within ten days of our website going live. But we owe mad props to those companies, and we want people to continue to do business with them. They will always offer things we don’t, and that’s reason enough. Plus their products are awesome and gorgeous. People think we’re crazy for promoting someone else’s business, but we’re serious about that.

Okay, to your question. Your analysis is exactly correct on the difference between the two materials: the tortoise is softer, rounder, warmer and more balanced; the brown is bright, assertive, fast and slick. Both awesome materials in their own right. (We are currently prototyping a third gorgeous material that may very well drop into our lineup by early 2017. No one in the industry is using this material.)

Here’s the short version. We have zero manufacturing background and are total goofball novices. We’re players, not machinists. We made these things as a total fluke -- first for ourselves to play, then for a few friends, then for our friends friends, then -- and suddenly we’re in the frickin’ guitar pick business. I swear to you, this is how the whole thing started.

But, you know, Buc, our ignorance has turned out to be our greatest asset. And one thing we discovered: Most of these machinists don’t know what the hell they’re doing; they are so stuck in old thinking. All they see are excuses, reasons something won’t work (even though they’ve never tried it before!), reasons it CAN’T work, every possible reason to say NO. Bunk

When someone says “No” to me I see red. I’m a possibility thinker, and if someone says “No", I say, “Oh yeah?” and find a way to get it done. Just to shut them up, if nothing else. And that’s what we’ve done. Cheaper. Better. Faster. And this exactly why people are going nuts over our products, Buc – because we didn’t know any better, we didn’t know it couldn’t be done, we just went ahead did it. The Truth.

And I’m not talking about small things here, but at least half a dozen major fabrication breakthroughs that NOBODY in the pick business is using. Nobody. And this is why our picks are outperforming everything in the industry. And do you realize we haven’t had a single negative review or a broken pick or warranty claim in over six months of business? Not one.

And all this because we were stupid, dumb, lame beginners who didn’t know what we were doing -- we were too stupid to know it couldn’t be done; we just made it up as we went along; we invented processes on the spot, on the fly, that as far as we know have never been used in over a hundred years of pick making.

But let me say one more thing, which is actually my most important point of all this, to anyone who's had the courage to read this far......

Don’t let ANYONE EVER tell you “No” to a dream or a vision you have. Instead, find out what part of their ego or professional pride or negativity or envy is holding them back, cross them off your list, and keep going till someone says yes. We did, and it has made all the difference.

OKAY, THIS IS THE END OF PART ONE. CONTINUED BELOW, IF YOU DARE......

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-29-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

PART TWO (CONTINUED FROM DIRECTLY ABOVE)

Okay, to finally get to your question, Buc.

The RB product looks like what we call a mando pick, very similar to the Golden Gate or Wegen, correct? BTW, not that it matter, but is this pick for playing mando, guitar, or both? Anyway, we are looking at this exact RB shape right now to release in tortoise before the end of the year, followed by brown in 2017. The BC TP series, however, is more similar to our large tri, but with softer corners.

The large tri with holes in tortoise style, at 1.5 mm, is the closest thing we have in the lineup right now.

Here's a direct link to it on our website:

http://www.charmedlifepicks.com/#!pr...8-cccc5691219b

They are currently sold out, but more coming soon.

Everything I’ve said is prelude to what I’m going to tell you about this particular model. And this, again, was due to total dumb luck, to being idiots in manufacturing and stumbling around, to a huge MISTAKE in production that we thought would cost us thousands and nearly put us out of business. As far as we know, this is the only pick in the industry that has this feature, or has ever had this feature.

Look at the two photos below. These are close-ups of two picks made from the identical material. Both of these picks are being held up to the sky, backlit by the sun.

In the first photo you’ll see a clear field of plastic, even if you blow it up much larger. But take a look at the second photo. In this photo you will see thousands of tiny pinpricks of light shining through the material, like looking up into the dome of a planetarium. This is what occurred during our “mistaken” fabrication process. The result? The thousands of tiny air pockets act like miniature shock absorbers, quieting this already-legendarily quiet material further, softening the tone, in most cases producing less pick noise (some of this is dependent on strings, setup, angle of attack, etc.). And here’s the most incredible thing of all: The natural warmth, balance, lushness and tortoise-like tone of the material comes through all the clearer. It must be some kind of weird Vulcan mindmeld; we can’t figure it out.

We don’t even know how it works!

But our customers have been raving about it since day one. We didn’t even know it was there till they pointed it out to us!

That’s the story. This feature is available on our 1.25 mm classic teardrop and the large tri with holes, pictured below, with the link below that. Don’t ask me how it works. I haven’t the foggiest. But it sounds incredible.

http://www.charmedlifepicks.com/#!pr...a-e4a603fd2ebf

thanks...I need a rest.....
scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-29-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Folks, our email waiting list for our next rollout of brown models in mid August is really picking up steam. We will not have nearly enough units to fill demand. Since we accept no prepayments, this will help ensure that those most interested will have first dibs. This is the fairest way we can think to do this.

For the foreseeable future, we are also limiting orders on these two models to one pick per customer, so that everyone may have a chance to play these remarkable picks.

If interested to being added to the priority mailing list, please email us directly at charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com with the words WAITING LIST, all in caps, in the subject line.

Thanks,
Scott & Rhonda
Old 08-04-2016, 11:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Review from New Customer

I wanted to share a review we received from a customer today (this is for our nf-1.15 model http://www.charmedlifepicks.com/#!pr...8-2246313e82a6)

"I have to tell you that I honestly didn't think I would feel that anything could replace my ---- ---- pick but I think this new one of yours has done it. It is the perfect thickness for me and I have fallen in love with it. The ---- ----- is a bit brighter and I might still use it at bluegrass jams when the banjos get out of control, but your tortoise has a brightness to it while still having more depth of tone, and more warmth. I think it has a bit more of a dynamic range and I especially like it with the electric guitar. I used it at the bluegrass jam on Tuesday and never felt like I needed to grab the ---- ----. Now I have the perfect pick for every occasion.

Anyway, I've been playing for about 8 hours today and needed to take a break and thought I should let you know how much I'm enjoying these picks! Truly Awesome!

Thanks again!"

Matt in Los Angeles
Old 08-06-2016, 04:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Large Triangle in Brown Coming

We are less than 30 days away from releasing our first large triangle pick in brown (see photo below).

We will not have enough to go around. We are prioritizing our availability strictly by our email priority wait list. If you'd like to get in line for this amazing pick ($32.50, which includes free shipping), please email us directly at charmedlifepicks @ gmail.com and put BROWN TRIANGLE WAIT LIST in the subject line.

thanks!
scott
Old 08-15-2016, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've kinda been laying low until our next run comes through. We're excited about the new large tri in our brown series, which we hope to begin shipping in Sept. Stay tuned for that. And more teardrops coming by next week.

thanks,
scott
Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Now Shipping 2.0 mm Large Triangle in Tortoise Design

This week we will begin shipping our first large triangle tortoise style in 2.0 mm thickness. This is not officially on our website yet, but they are coming in very soon. These will sell for $28.50, as always with free shipping.

I'd be curious how many people would like something even thicker than this. We have blanks already in stock cut at 3.0 mm.

thanks,
scott
Old 08-26-2016, 07:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Teardrops Now Shipping

We have teardrops in .75 mm and .90 mm in stock. At $29.95, with free shipping on every order, this is an incredible value compared to anything else on the market, at least ten dollars cheaper than anything even remotely comparable (and by the way, we are the only company in the world making this in a .75 mm thickness). We'll put up our .75 mm model against anything in the industry, at any price. I know because I've played almost everything out there at this thickness

For recent reviews from our extremely satisfied customers, here's a current thread on the main Board. And no, we didn't write any of these reviews ourselves.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=440227

thanks & be well,
scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 08-26-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just BUMPING this up for the recent update on the first post.

sm
Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just this week we discovered a new way to polish our "tortoise" models. This is after almost a year of trial and error. It's been keeping me up nights. I'm such a maniac for perfection; no one has noticed but me. We don't want to be the biggest pick company, just the best.

onward & upward,
scott
Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Do you know yet when you will have your tortoise large triangle models back in stock?

thanx
Old 09-20-2016, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

UPDATE 09/20: We are very close to solving a major production annoyance in our very popular brown series models. We are in final test mode. If this goes as well as we think it will, we will be well positioned to increase production significantly as we move into the fourth quarter of the year. We will know in about two weeks.

Please keep your fingers crossed. We have a LOT of material in the barn in both our lines, so we're pretty excited about the fourth quarter.

Stay tuned.....

sm
Old 10-15-2016, 06:57 PM

Any updates on when 1.4 triangle picks will be available again?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
Any updates on when 1.4 triangle picks will be available again?
Phil, I should have some by next weekend, just coming off the line soon.

A word of friendly advice: If you want to keep your sanity, don't go into manufacturing.

Thanks for your post. We have more than 1000 units in tortoise hitting between now and Thanksgiving. We plan to be well stocked for the holiday selling season.

talk soon,
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace