The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 AM

[QUOTE=steelvibe;3823991][QUOTE=Doubleneck;3822849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

But I have said before its not a deal breaker for me. QUOTE]

Yeah, you have mentioned that before now that I think of that. I really would like to get my hands on a Parlor having played the Shorty. I'm a fingerstyle player that tends to like the folky more Nashville tuning type stuff when using alternate tunings. That being said, I tune up at times and would just like the versitality of having a truss rod built in. If I ever had a second carbon fiber I would likely go for a CO-JM1000N2. I love the huge sound from the JM1000 but think I would like the warmth from the top better for my style of playing. I also LOVED how comfortable that guitar sat on my lap considering it's size. I just couldn't believe it was a jumbo body- I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. I would likely use it for songs I play that are tuned below D. They do seem to hold up really well in those tunings and David Wilcox and Erik Mongrain have done (Erik tunes down the low E all the way to A at times but I'm not sure what guage of strings he is using).

Thanks for chatting with me about it.
I think your right on, and yes the irony of the Jumbo is that pinched in waist makes a huge guitar comfortable to play, at least sitting down. I have played a CO topped JM1000 and I have come to the conclusion that I am at home with my BI which I got by default in a trade. I just love the way it breaks up the "industrial" look of a carbon top. To me the sound difference is too small to trump this.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-16-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Little different twist on the truss rod, no truss rod perspective. I prefer to have it in my guitars but I think because guitars typically go from hand to hand and you do not know preference for the next person is going to be that it just makes sense to have it from the owners perspective whether they utilize the adjustment to have it there and not have a sale question or hindrance by lack of truss rod.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I haven't found any reason to "tweak" the trussrod on my Shorty, after owning it for 7 months. Given the options, I would prefer the thinner neck. My other guitars are Taylors and a Gibson ES335, all with a thinner neck.

Last night was unusual - I played for 4 hours with two other players; usually when playing out, it is for 2 hours. I had a cramp in my left hand by the end of the evening (playing the Shorty). Don't recall that with the other guitars... maybe it's more a function of getting older?

Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Humanist

If one owns a guitar that has the perfect relief (for that owner/player) and no truss rod, then perhaps a somewhat cavalier attitude might prevail with this topic...

...however, not everyone believes in the "one size fits all" approach to guitar-making as it relates to personal-preference for set-up issues.

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber