The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Guest 928

D'Hart,

I do the same on my back porch, with no-powder 22 shells in rifles and revolvers. The shot goes by primer and travels about 300 feet per second--I could just about catch them if I had a good carbon fiber mitt. Great hand-eye training, fun stuff. Not quite as fun as playing CF guitars, but pretty close.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
D'Hart,

I do the same on my back porch, with no-powder 22 shells in rifles and revolvers. The shot goes by primer and travels about 300 feet per second--I could just about catch them if I had a good carbon fiber mitt. Great hand-eye training, fun stuff. Not quite as fun as playing CF guitars, but pretty close.
I have some of those Colibri .22s myself. Mild as they are, they're still frowned upon with some houses not too far from me. But "air rifles" are still viewed as being pretty tame.

Funny, my Red Wolf .22 air rifle, pushing a 25.39 gr pellet at just under 1000 fps (a bit over 50fpe) is a serious and not-to-be taken lightly load. But I often shoot them on LOW power setting, which is about 750 fps.

Sorry, Ray, for the diversion. BTW, are those ammunition boxes I see on the top shelf in your closet?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Sorry, Ray, for the diversion. BTW, are those ammunition boxes I see on the top shelf in your closet?
Not a problem, but no, I think you’re looking at soap!

I haven’t shot any sort of gun in years, probably since I was a kid in Arizona actually. Closest thing to ammo in my house is a box of CO2 cartridges made for BB guns that I used to use to inflate bicycle tires...

Cool looking air gun though... And nice desert backyard!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

It's always the little things that drive you crazy. Here I have this brand spanking new X20 I"m loving, but it's got this really annoying string buzz happening on the G string at the second fret. The action the guitar showed up with was incredibly low, lower than I've ever had on an acoustic guitar, so I figured I'd raise it a bit and see if I could get rid of the little sitar that was included free with my X20. I was able to but by the time I'd raised it enough to get rid of the buzz, it was considerably higher than I wanted when playing up the neck. Then I figured maybe it's a high third fret or a low second one, so I got out a fret ruler and couldn't find any gaps or get any rocking/clicking as I checked out the possibilities. And I figured an Emerald wouldn't ship with a flaw like that anyway.

So I called my tech guy at (you all are gonna be shocked by this, but this guy's always done great work for me) my nearby Guitar Center. Explained the problem and we did a bit of troubleshooting over the phone. Finally he said, "you either need the frets re-leveled or you have a bad string - I'd check the string first". So I did, and sure enough, there was a really obvious kink in that string at that spot that you'd never notice with it stretched taut, but it was clear as day once the tension was off. Put on a new string and, VIOLA, no buzz!

It was driving me nuts. I still have a very minor dead spot at the 10th fret on the A string, but it's only there when I'm thumping the string with my thumb when I'm finger-picking (which I'm just getting into, so I have a LONG way to go before I'm even decent at it) - when I pick the note, it's OK. THAT one I can live with, but the second fret on the G string was much more problematic because I'm hitting that note ALL the time.

So, yeah, the X20 is basically perfect...

-Ray
Old 09-19-2018, 04:38 PM

I would have suggested its the string, you know if I was a suggester, ...back when the Taylor T5 came out I got one right way ...mine had a bad G string that would not stay in tune... found out a bunch of T5s had the lil bad boy...always something'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Why does it always seem to be the G string that causes problems?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I would have suggested its the string, you know if I was a suggester, ...back when the Taylor T5 came out I got one right way ...mine had a bad G string that would not stay in tune... found out a bunch of T5s had the lil bad boy...always something'.
To be clear, this one's on me, not on Emerald. I played the stock strings for a couple hours, but I'm not a fan of 80/20s, so I put my own strings on the first day I had it. Must have slightly bent the G without realizing it as I was putting them on.

Now that I have that solved, it's REALLY like having a new guitar. I've been playing it all day day and just PLAYING, not wondering when I'm gonna hit that sour note next or whether I need to tweak something again to try to find the right balance. Now it's all basically perfect and I can just relax and play or play and "sing" (such as it is - I am very likely among the worst 40-50 singers on planet earth). Kind of alike another NGD, all with the same guitar...

-Ray
Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
G I don't know
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Chafe?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Probably from too much scootering....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber