The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-18-2018, 01:08 PM

Default Online And?Or DVD Learning System Recommendations?

A friend has decided to start playing guitar and asked me for some advice regarding online and DVD lessons. They live in a small town so want to learn that way, rather than with a live teacher.

Other than Justin Sandercoe's site, Doug Marks' Metal Method site/DVDs, and the Gibson Learn & Master series I am not really familiar with any online or DVD learning resources. Can anyone here recommend decent ones?

If it matters, they want to learn to play both electric and acoustic.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM

I like this guy. His free lessons get right to the point and are very well communicated. The Beginner series starts with the very basics, like how to hold the guitar and how to tune, etc.

https://www.guitarlessons.com
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 09-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
…Can anyone here recommend decent ones?
Hi c-char

Homespun Tapes dot com used to have a ton (they also sell DVDs and instant streaming). As the name indicates they have been around for a while…

And they have a great assortment of teachers (around 100) for many genres of guitar, and many levels of skill.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 AM

Learn and master guitar is a great system. Steve Krenz is a great teacher, and his system set my foundation. It even teaches some basic music theory.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 AM

True Fire has a lot of online courses that you can "rent" or "own". They have solid foundation courses for most styles out there from jazz to metal to bluegrass, etc.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Learn and master guitar is a great system. Steve Krenz is a great teacher, and his system set my foundation. It even teaches some basic music theory.

That is the one that I recommended, especially as I own a copy that he can have. I'll have to ask him about his willingness to learn to read music, even at a basic level, because from what I remember that course uses standard notation rather than tab (or perhaps tab is introduced partway through...I'll have to check on that).

That course also has a forum, which I think would be helpful to him, but a quick look a few minutes ago seems to indicate that traffic has really died down there. Or maybe people are just doing other things over the summer.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
That is the one that I recommended, especially as I own a copy that he can have. I'll have to ask him about his willingness to learn to read music, even at a basic level, because from what I remember that course uses standard notation rather than tab (or perhaps tab is introduced partway through...I'll have to check on that).

That course also has a forum, which I think would be helpful to him, but a quick look a few minutes ago seems to indicate that traffic has really died down there. Or maybe people are just doing other things over the summer.

The early music reading lessons have tab alongside it, but later on the tab is removed forcing the student to get better at reading traditional notation. The barre chords and strumming sessions are outstanding. I actually gave mine away to a friend who said wanted to learn guitar and I regret it since I never finished the system.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The early music reading lessons have tab alongside it, but later on the tab is removed forcing the student to get better at reading traditional notation. The barre chords and strumming sessions are outstanding. I actually gave mine away to a friend who said wanted to learn guitar and I regret it since I never finished the system.

Funnily enough, I had just finished checking the materials and was coming here to post the info you just posted. It does seem to be a really good system, even if the songs are a bit hokey. But there is a song hits package which accompanies the main system and has more contemporary songs in it and, as far as I remember, I have it somewhere (not sure if I have the videos or just the printed materials) so I could give him that too.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Funnily enough, I had just finished checking the materials and was coming here to post the info you just posted. It does seem to be a really good system, even if the songs are a bit hokey. But there is a song hits package which accompanies the main system and has more contemporary songs in it and, as far as I remember, I have it somewhere (not sure if I have the videos or just the printed materials) so I could give him that too.

Yeah that should keep his interest. I remember getting a bit sick of playing single note kid songs at first.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah that should keep his interest. I remember getting a bit sick of playing single note kid songs at first.

I searched around and found the Song Hits stuff, both printed materials and DVDs so I can give him those too.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:11 AM

I posted the following response on a very similar thread from a couple of weeks ago, that thread can be found here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=321712

My response in that thread:

Jamplay is great if you are interested in Rock and Pop check out the Level Two lessons by David Isaacs and/or Will Ripley. The former has a history of rock that covers the last 50 years and both have an Acoustic Rock series that are very well done. David Isaacs has a series called Effortless Guitar that is great too. I really like the Mark Lincoln series too. They have lots of fingerpicking lesson sets as well from more Travis Picking oriented (Steve Eulberg, Jim Deeming) to more modern (Calum Graham, Don Ross and Mike Dawes) to Acoustic blues (Mary Flower, Hawkeye Herman and Orville Johnson).

I also liked GuitarTricks. They have a two course beginner series and then three separate pathways for blues, rock and country. Each genre has two courses (i.e. Rock Level 1 & Level 2 etc.). Very well done. Tons of song lessons on that site too

Truefire is amazing, they have it all, dominated by blues but they have some acoustic rock and Celtic lesson sets that are top notch as well. They now have learning path lesson sets in multiple genres that look cool. These start basic and go to very advanced levels.

Artistworks is great for Bluegrass, Jazz Fingerstyle and Classical, and MusicwithRyan (mentioned before) is focused on bluegrass and let’s you submit videos of your playing to be critiqued, similar to Artistworks, but a smaller audience.

Tony Polecastros site is pretty awesome too, it takes a slightly different approach, with the main focus of getting you to pick up the guitar everyday to work on a short lesson but it works great if you stick with it.

Toby Walker, who posts here, has some really excellent fingerstyle, ragtime and acoustic blues lesson sets that are available for download. I can’t say enough good things about them.

The Learn and Master Guitar series can be purchased on Udemy.com for $49.99. There is another guitar course on that site called The Complete Guitar System Beginner to Advanced that has something like 300+ video lessons totaling 35 hours, that start basic and go to fairly advanced stuff. It’s listed at $199 now but it’s always on sale for $10-$15. I don’t own or have access to either of those but I see them listed and they are both rated pretty highly on the site.

Last edited by Dakotabison; 09-22-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotabison View Post
I posted the following response on a very similar thread from a couple of weeks ago, that thread can be found here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=321712

My response in that thread:

Jamplay is great if you are interested in Rock and Pop check out the Level Two lessons by David Isaacs and/or Will Ripley. The former has a history of rock that covers the last 50 years and both have an Acoustic Rock series that are very well done. David Isaacs has a series called Effortless Guitar that is great too. I really like the Mark Lincoln series too. They have lots of fingerpicking lesson sets as well from more Travis Picking oriented (Steve Eulberg, Jim Deeming) to more modern (Calum Graham, Don Ross and Mike Dawes) to Acoustic blues (Mary Flower, Hawkeye Herman and Orville Johnson).

I also liked GuitarTricks. They have a two course beginner series and then three separate pathways for blues, rock and country. Each genre has two courses (i.e. Rock Level 1 & Level 2 etc.). Very well done. Tons of song lessons on that site too

Truefire is amazing, they have it all, dominated by blues but they have some acoustic rock and Celtic lesson sets that are top notch as well. They now have learning path lesson sets in multiple genres that look cool. These start basic and go to very advanced levels.

Artistworks is great for Bluegrass, Jazz Fingerstyle and Classical, and MusicwithRyan (mentioned before) is focused on bluegrass and let’s you submit videos of your playing to be critiqued, similar to Artistworks, but a smaller audience.

Tony Polecastros site is pretty awesome too, it takes a slightly different approach, with the main focus of getting you to pick up the guitar everyday to work on a short lesson but it works great if you stick with it.

Toby Walker, who posts here, has some really excellent fingerstyle, ragtime and acoustic blues lesson sets that are available for download. I can’t say enough good things about them.

The Learn and Master Guitar series can be purchased on Udemy.com for $49.99. There is another guitar course on that site called The Complete Guitar System Beginner to Advanced that has something like 300+ video lessons totaling 35 hours, that start basic and go to fairly advanced stuff. It’s listed at $199 now but it’s always on sale for $10-$15. I don’t own or have access to either of those but I see them listed and they are both rated pretty highly on the site.

Wonderful, thank you.

I checked Udemy.com for that Complete Guitar System thing you mentioned (I already own the Learn and Master series so can just give those to him) and noticed that it is on sale right now for $13.99 (and that is Canadian, usually the lower prices are in the US and we have to deal with the exchange rate). I said to heck with it and bought it myself as there are a lot of gaps in my learning/technique/abilities. For less than $20 I can't go wrong if it will help with some of my own deficiencies. I've never heard of it before, but at that price who cares right? Even if it is terrible I'm out less than I spend on coffee each week.

Thanks again for posting this info!

Last edited by colchar; 09-22-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:07 AM

I've checked out some of the lessons in that Complete Guitar System thing. Some of them are decent, others are pointless.

Yesterday I watched the one about how to practice and what to practice and I can't figure out why he bothered making that video. I expected something along the lines of "you should practice A, B, and C and should do it in this way, at this tempo, and then speed up" or something like that. But instead it was just a rambling video that basically said if you want to play genre X then don't bother studying other genres (ie. if you want to play the blues don't bother to learn jazz scales).

Some of the other lessons are decent enough though, so whoever buys that system will have to weed through the useless ones to find the good ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write