The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-19-2018, 01:44 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Here's one of my songs with Mando Bob playing his old style Estralita :
I like your version of, "I'm So Lonesome..." You sure you're from the UK? You sound like some of the dudes around here and where I used to live back in Kentucky. More like the Kentucky fellas though, the ones here in California are more like those goofballs in the Trailer Park Troubadours. I drug my wife out to see them one day when we were camping in the hills (they were playing nearby) and she said the only thing missing was moonshine, Daisy Dukes and an impromptu greased pig. I loved it of course. Reminded me of bands that used to play the hour leading up to a really good tractor pull or demolition derby.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
That was really good. I like the sound, and the production touches were really nice. That is the kind of soulful sound I like playing. That kind of sound that always puts me in a bit of a trance and pulls me away from the harsh edges of full consciousness.
Here's a cover of one of my favorite Chris Whitley songs that also has a trance feel. I did it on a brass bodied Chinese reso (Johnson Style O knockoff), that I had John Walsh, a fine luthier in Cimmaron Co, make me a new slothead bound mahogany neck for. It also has a National cone and biscuit, and a Highlander pickup. The reso is mic'd with an old model 300 Shure ribbon mic, and I have the Highlander going into a 1961 Ampeg Mercury amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6697257

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-22-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 04-21-2018, 02:31 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Here's a cover of one of my favorite Chris Whitley songs that also has a trance feel. I did it on a brass bodied Chinese reso (Johnson Style O knockoff), that I had John Walsh, a fine luthier in Cimmaron Co, make me a new slothead bound mahogany neck for. It also has a National cone and biscuit, and a Highlander pickup.
It sounds really good. I saw another Youtube of a guy playing a Chinese knockoff of a National, that sounded OK, but not as good as this video.

Seems today I've been hearing all kinds of songs on the radio played on a resonator. Funny how I notice it now that one is coming into my hands. I never really paid attention before.

I'm branching out from purely playing normal acoustics. I'm even listening to mandolins and other stringed instruments. No banjos in my future though.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
No banjos in my future though.
Thank god for that A resonator a day will keep the banjos away, wait a second, there's always Chris Whitley...

Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 PM

So.. is Johnson a good choice if someone just wants to dabble with slide/resonator guitar?
Old 04-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
So.. is Johnson a good choice if someone just wants to dabble with slide/resonator guitar?
The Johnson of mine just had a particularly good sounding brass body, but I hated the small neck with the small frets and sharp fret ends, so I had a new neck built for it. And I also put a National cone and biscuit in it. So no, I wouldn't recommend unless one you can bond with the smaller neck and you get one that is set up fairly well. What I would recommend is to learn to play slide guitar on one of your acoustics, if you feel it's something you're interested in, then go out and play a few resonators, (biscuit, tricone, spider), and see which one represents the tone you hear in your head.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Here's a cover of one of my favorite Chris Whitley songs that also has a trance feel. I did it on a brass bodied Chinese reso (Johnson Style O knockoff), that I had John Walsh, a fine luthier in Cimmaron Co, make me a new slothead bound mahogany neck for. It also has a National cone and biscuit, and a Highlander pickup. The reso is mic'd with an old model 300 Shure ribbon mic, and I have the Highlander going into a 1961 Ampeg Mercury amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6697257

Great job. Chris Whitley was a friend. I think he'd have liked your version.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 AM

Don't forget to try a spider cone resonator - Paul Beard makes excellent ones in his small shop that are priced comparably to some of the Nationals, and his signature line of Gold Tone resonators are excellent value, if not the cheapest imports possibly among the best quality. I have a Gold Tone PBR-CA, which is solid mahogany wood, 12 fret, round neck, cut-away that is very nice.

A lot of the time the differences in models come down to the decoration on the outside, the guitar is about the same but the looks are different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments