The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-21-2024, 03:00 PM

Default Howard Roberts Oval Hole

I have a 1974 Gibson Howard Roberts Oval Hole guitar. I keep the guitar in its case when not playing and have noticed that the strings tend to get a lot of corrosion. I am a bit worried this will cause the metal on the guitar to get corroded.

Is there any way to prevent/mitigate this? I have heard of "corrosion resistant strings" but am not sure these work and am wondering if there are other issues causing the corrosion.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:23 PM

Are the strings merely discolored, or is there actual rust, or other, buildup?
Old 01-21-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Are the strings merely discolored, or is there actual rust, or other, buildup?
It is actually rust. There was also the beginning of a green corrosive build up on the metal part of the guitar.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingmama View Post
It is actually rust. There was also the beginning of a green corrosive build up on the metal part of the guitar.
In that case, it is likely celluloid outgassing that is causing the corrosion. Assuming there is a pickguard, does the material seem to be compromised in any way? Could also be the binding.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingmama View Post
Is the pick guard, or the binding, looking strange?

With older celluloid plastics there have been thousands of instances of it deteriorating, and it will cause the metal parts to turn green.

Here's a closeup of the original pick guard from my 1930 Gibson L-5, which I replaced with a copy. You can clearly see where the rot is, and the screw & nearby frets were really green with oxidation.

HE
Old 01-21-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
In that case, it is likely celluloid outgassing that is causing the corrosion. Assuming there is a pickguard, does the material seem to be compromised in any way? Could also be the binding.
There is some corrosion around the screws holding the pick guard. The pick guard is a bit discolored but does not look like it is falling apart.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Is the pick guard, or the binding, looking strange?

With older celluloid plastics there have been thousands of instances of it deteriorating, and it will cause the metal parts to turn green.

Here's a closeup of the original pick guard from my 1930 Gibson L-5, which I replaced with a copy. You can clearly see where the rot is, and the screw & nearby frets were really green with oxidation.

HE
There might be a bit of this yes - No corrosion on the frets but the screws in the pick guard show corrosion. But pretty much the pick guard is in decent condition. There was a bit of green

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops