The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:56 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 1,741
Default

Aaron, before you send it back, use the separate FX loop to bring some IR to the K&K and add a true stereo reverb Plugin on the recording as Doug Young does with his Ventris.

Then grab your jaw from the floor.

Lol
Cuki

PS:Could you achieve the same with the EAE stompmix 4? of course it is digital But the features are similar (apart from the M-S decoding and dip switch modding) for like half of the price.
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) DIY Pickup v5 variant
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-V T+ DIY IR
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v5
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 10-17-2020 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thanks. It took me back a little!! Great tone. The K&K has been impressing me lately. I just wish it wasnít installed with glue. Thatís another reason Iím interested in the Trance now.
The glue is a letdown but I just havenít been blown away by the Amulet. It has a distinct tone that I am not in love with.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Br1ck Br1ck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 3,319
Default

I don't get the reluctance to glue pickups on. I've seen Teddy Randazzo pop off K&Ks and have the glue residue cleaned off in minutes. Heck, I took one guitar back with the epoxy glued Dazzos, and he popped those off and cleaned and reglued another set in easily.
__________________
2007 Martin D 35 Custom
1970 Guild D 35
1965 Epiphone Texan
2014 Martin 00 15 12 fret custom
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play your guitar" Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I don't get the reluctance to glue pickups on. I've seen Teddy Randazzo pop off K&Ks and have the glue residue cleaned off in minutes. Heck, I took one guitar back with the epoxy glued Dazzos, and he popped those off and cleaned and reglued another set in easily.
Some people have found that the superglue gets into the wood and makes it difficult to get the best out of other systems when installed (Amulet). For me, glue is a worry because I do a lot of the installations myself. It might be easy for Teddy to remove pickups but in my case, I am not a big fan of having to try and rip off glued in pickups. As you know, placement with SBTís can be a bit of an experiment. The hesitation with the Dazzo for example is installing it, finding out something is not right and having to then take the pickups off without damaging them and then remove the glue residue.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 7,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I don't get the reluctance to glue pickups on. I've seen Teddy Randazzo pop off K&Ks and have the glue residue cleaned off in minutes. Heck, I took one guitar back with the epoxy glued Dazzos, and he popped those off and cleaned and reglued another set in easily.
My aversion to super glue started when I found that it wasn't possible to clean it off well enough to install pickups like Trance over. The superglue can be cleaned off to look perfectly clean, but even with sanding afterwards, the Trance pickups don't adhere well enough to sound right - even if you use Barge cement instead of the tape. Tells me that the superglue has had a deeper effect on the wood, which is what Gary at Trance explains. It's not that I wouldn't do it, but does give me pause, and makes me ask if I'm sure that out of all the great pickup options out there, do I really want the only one that requires superglue? SBTs especially are a gamble, every guitar is different, so you never know if it's really going to work. With superglue, you're a bit more committed than with other choices.

I've had Teddy remove both K&Ks and his pickups multiple times, and yes, it's easy, tho the idea of soaking the bridge plate with brake cleaner doesn't exactly get me excited....
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-17-2020, 09:51 PM
rockabilly69 rockabilly69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 2,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
SBTs especially are a gamble, every guitar is different, so you never know if it's really going to work.
The most true statement I've ever read on this forum!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-18-2020, 02:20 PM
Br1ck Br1ck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 3,319
Default

I guess my perspective is never wanting to remove Dazzos except the one time we thought a set might be too bassy, but decided to test it in the real world, so we ended up with a different set.
Six guitars so far, but I'm not chasing the Grail. Very good will do.
__________________
2007 Martin D 35 Custom
1970 Guild D 35
1965 Epiphone Texan
2014 Martin 00 15 12 fret custom
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play your guitar" Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-18-2020, 02:45 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 7,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I guess my perspective is never wanting to remove Dazzos except the one time we thought a set might be too bassy, but decided to test it in the real world, so we ended up with a different set.
Six guitars so far, but I'm not chasing the Grail. Very good will do.
I've been thru so many sets with Teddy, partly because I started with him very early. We'd try different things, some worked well, some didn't. He always wanted to upgrade as he made improvements and I was happy to let him experiment and tweak to dial things in, so even when things sounded good, he'd be the one saying, I think I can find a better match for that guitar, and off we'd go with yet another set. The current set in my Martin seems darn near perfect, but it was down to even two different wood casings (sassafrass and cocobolo) for the pickups to where Teddy was happy with them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 AM
Vancebo Vancebo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Or.
Posts: 1,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I have not tried the MS-2 or Felix, BUT I tried the Alix and returned it; I tried
the Bix and returned it. I have been using the sunnaudio Stage DI for
about 3 years now. To my ear, the Stage has a more full-bodied and naturally
detailed presentation than the Alix or Bix. I wonder how the sibling
comparison translates to the big brothers......
I have a Stage DI and an MS-2. They sound the same but with added features. I believe on the MS-2 there is more adjustment capability in the Treble and Bass knobs.
__________________
Vancebo
Husband of One, Father of Two
Worship Leader, Music Teacher
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Vancebo Vancebo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Or.
Posts: 1,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I've been thru so many sets with Teddy, partly because I started with him very early. We'd try different things, some worked well, some didn't. He always wanted to upgrade as he made improvements and I was happy to let him experiment and tweak to dial things in, so even when things sounded good, he'd be the one saying, I think I can find a better match for that guitar, and off we'd go with yet another set. The current set in my Martin seems darn near perfect, but it was down to even two different wood casings (sassafrass and cocobolo) for the pickups to where Teddy was happy with them.
We got lucky with my D18 Modern Deluxe with the carbon fiber bridge plate. He tried 60's in Cherry and tucked them in tightly near the bridge pins and now it is the best plugged in sounding guitar I own.
__________________
Vancebo
Husband of One, Father of Two
Worship Leader, Music Teacher
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Br1ck Br1ck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 3,319
Default

I have the first set of 50s in my D 35, and a mix and match set in my Texan. I think that was 70/60 set. For certain. the Dazzos and SunnAudio is a great combination.
__________________
2007 Martin D 35 Custom
1970 Guild D 35
1965 Epiphone Texan
2014 Martin 00 15 12 fret custom
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play your guitar" Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,538
Default

I have to be honest, the more I hear about Dazzo installations, the more I want to just avoid it. It sounds like those of you who love the pickup were able to meet with Teddy and have him install it and it doesn't really sound like it was a quick process. I think that's another reason why glue can be a pain. It just doesn't make me feel all that excited to install a Dazzo, find that the tone is off a bit and then have to use brake cleaner to get it off.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 7,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have to be honest, the more I hear about Dazzo installations, the more I want to just avoid it. It sounds like those of you who love the pickup were able to meet with Teddy and have him install it and it doesn't really sound like it was a quick process. I think that's another reason why glue can be a pain. It just doesn't make me feel all that excited to install a Dazzo, find that the tone is off a bit and then have to use brake cleaner to get it off.
It doesn't have to be a pain. The reason I've had a lot of installs is because Teddy was doing it, and he's a perfectionist and experimenter. This is the same thing that comes up with the Trance. Everyone gets scared by people talking about tweaking the placement. You do it because you can. With K&Ks, you stick them on, and you're done, there's no going back, no fine tuning the placement. You're either happy or you're not. With Trance, you often end up saying "that sounds really good! So good, that I wonder if I can do even better...". I wouldn't personally do that with Dazzo's because it's not as easy, but Teddy would. He has lots of different models. So you try one, and it's "man that sound good!, I wonder if it would sound even better with a 60 on top and a 70 on the bottom? Or maybe a cocobolo casing would bring out the sparkle a bit more?" and so on. But you don't have to, you could treat them like K&Ks, pop them in the recommended spot and go play, and they'd sound good. All you do is glue them onto the saddle line, the same as every other SBT.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Today, 07:35 AM
Vancebo Vancebo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Salem, Or.
Posts: 1,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
It doesn't have to be a pain. The reason I've had a lot of installs is because Teddy was doing it, and he's a perfectionist and experimenter. This is the same thing that comes up with the Trance. Everyone gets scared by people talking about tweaking the placement. You do it because you can. With K&Ks, you stick them on, and you're done, there's no going back, no fine tuning the placement. You're either happy or you're not. With Trance, you often end up saying "that sounds really good! So good, that I wonder if I can do even better...". I wouldn't personally do that with Dazzo's because it's not as easy, but Teddy would. He has lots of different models. So you try one, and it's "man that sound good!, I wonder if it would sound even better with a 60 on top and a 70 on the bottom? Or maybe a cocobolo casing would bring out the sparkle a bit more?" and so on. But you don't have to, you could treat them like K&Ks, pop them in the recommended spot and go play, and they'd sound good. All you do is glue them onto the saddle line, the same as every other SBT.
I installed a fellow forum members Dazzos myself. We documented it here. He was very happy with it. But when Teddy visited through this area Teddy insisted he try it again and made it better. We thought it was good to begin with.
__________________
Vancebo
Husband of One, Father of Two
Worship Leader, Music Teacher
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
sunnaudio

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=