The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-27-2023, 01:31 PM

I just ordered the Artcore AF75 Hollowbody Electric Guitar -Matt Black...I decide over the Cherry Burst

Can't wait

Last edited by CASD57; 12-27-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
One thing that Steve didn't mention, but I'll mention, is that getting acoustic guitar feel when playing like an acoustic guitar may be aided by setting an electric up to use heavier strings more akin to the gauges used on acoustic guitars.

You don't have to go with bridge cables, just get a wound G electric set...
Actually I did, Frank - see Post #4...

Didja really think for one moment I'd let that one slip...?
Old 12-28-2023, 08:11 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Actually I did, Frank - see Post #4...

Didja really think for one moment I'd let that one slip...?
lol....nope
I'm still watching for sales on Bugeras ...:
Old 12-28-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
...I'm still watching for sales on Bugeras...
You might find this of interest:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

BTW don't sweat the 55W rating: if you're looking for clean tone you'll be able to put the headroom to good use - high power in a tube amp isn't always about OSHA-hazard SPL's (something Leo Fender and Everett Hull both knew when they developed the first high-power Fender and Ampeg combos in the late-1950's) - and it not only powers down to ~25W for smaller rooms/home use, but the low-watt triode setting opens up a whole 'nuther set of Brit-flavored tonal options that I've found highly useful in my own T50 head and V22 combo, and if you've ever gotten the urge it'll also get classic-rock/hard-blues down-&-dirty through the OD channel. A lot going on for $469 (IME they will go lower on the price if you call/e-mail), neither the price nor on-hand stock are going to last forever, and if you've had your eye on the Vox AC30S1/Marshall DSL40 1x12" combos or anything from Fender with the word "Deluxe" in the name - each of which have their own distinctive visual/sonic appeal BTW - I'd strongly recommend you give the V55 some serious thought first...
Old 12-28-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
You might find this of interest:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

BTW don't sweat the 55W rating: if you're looking for clean tone you'll be able to put the headroom to good use - high power in a tube amp isn't always about OSHA-hazard SPL's (something Leo Fender and Everett Hull both knew when they developed the first high-power Fender and Ampeg combos in the late-1950's) - and it not only powers down to ~25W for smaller rooms/home use, but the low-watt triode setting opens up a whole 'nuther set of Brit-flavored tonal options that I've found highly useful in my own T50 head and V22 combo, and if you've ever gotten the urge it'll also get classic-rock/hard-blues down-&-dirty through the OD channel. A lot going on for $469 (IME they will go lower on the price if you call/e-mail), neither the price nor on-hand stock are going to last forever, and if you've had your eye on the Vox AC30S1/Marshall DSL40 1x12" combos or anything from Fender with the word "Deluxe" in the name - each of which have their own distinctive visual/sonic appeal BTW - I'd strongly recommend you give the V55 some serious thought first...
THat 50lbs make my back ache lol
Old 12-28-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I just ordered the Artcore AF75 Hollowbody Electric Guitar -Matt Black...I decide over the Cherry Burst

Can't wait
I have a Jet Blue Burst AF75 and I have no issues with it. I will say though, that while it is much louder than an electric when played acoustically, it is not particularly loud without amplification. With amplification, it does not give an acoustic sound, but it definitely gives a different sound than a solid body electric.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
That 50 lbs. makes my back ache...
My solution: up to 150 lbs. capacity - handles either of my main amps (modded Bugera V22 and Fender Frontman 212R, both in the same weight range) and my utility bag - easy to wheel, lightweight, folds flat and travels in my trunk to every gig:

https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Persona...JEALw_wcB&th=1
Old 12-29-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
My solution: up to 150 lbs. capacity - handles either of my main amps (modded Bugera V22 and Fender Frontman 212R, both in the same weight range) and my utility bag - easy to wheel, lightweight, folds flat and travels in my trunk to every gig:

https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Persona...JEALw_wcB&th=1
Dang.....LOL
Old 12-30-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
I have a Jet Blue Burst AF75 and I have no issues with it. I will say though, that while it is much louder than an electric when played acoustically, it is not particularly loud without amplification. With amplification, it does not give an acoustic sound, but it definitely gives a different sound than a solid body electric.
Maybe one of those acoustic pickups can be put on it? and a blend knob?
Old 12-30-2023, 08:21 AM

I had an inspirational practice yesterday, The tone I was getting was very nice and I played until my fingers hurt... Very minimum equipment:
Epiphone ES339 P90 semi-hollow into:
A Joyo "American" copy my Caline "American" into"
My cheap Gemini PA300 To-Go Battery/AC Array PA
But I can see the need to buy a couple of pedals like OD and Trem pedals

The tone was very nice.. the Gemini's reverb is more of a delay

But I'm still looking at lower-wattage tube amps also... honestly, as a solo act a 5 watt Tube amp would probably work best given getting a little edge-of-tone breakup will happen before deafening you lol
The Fender Pro-Junior is popping up... The Supro's...Bugera and even the Vox AC4-12
Old 12-30-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
...as a solo act a 5 watt tube amp would probably work best given getting a little edge-of-tone breakup will happen before deafening you...
The Fender Pro-Junior is popping up... The Supros...Bugera and even the Vox AC4-12
My thoughts:
  • A 5-watt amp can be a surprisingly potent weapon in your tone arsenal - IME you can play audiences up to 150 people if you get the right one...
  • How much onboard vs. outboard tone modification do you want/need - and how much gear are you willing to carry to/set up/ tear down at a gig...
  • Not all low-watt amps are created equal, even within a given power range - are you a one-tone kinda guy (nothing wrong with that BTW) or do you need quick turn-a-dial versatility to accommodate different styles and/or instruments on the job...
  • Are you locked into the idea of traditional hot glass bottles in the engine compartment, or would you be willing to dip your toe into some newer technology if it'll deliver the tones you need (translation: pencil in at least one of the Vox MV50 NuTube micro-heads on your audition list - which leads me to:
  • Do you prefer the all-in-one-box convenience of a combo, or would you like the ability to mix-&-match cabs with different size/efficiency speakers to the needs of a particular instrument/performing situation (what I said about a 5-watter covering a mid-size audience)...
  • You can score a low-watt tube amp for $200, $2500, and just about every point in between - will this be your exclusive amp over the long haul, or do you plan to step up to something more esoteric/powerful in either the short or long term...
If you're on a bucks-down budget and prefer a combo, the Bugera V5 combo gets a lot of love around here - my last band used to play one of the local coffeehouses (with a tasteful drummer) and I had more than enough grunt to get the job done - and if you've got some more spare cash and favor early British tone, IMO the Vox AC10 offers more versatility and available headroom (plug a Gretsch into one and you'll be pulling out all your favorite pre-Rubber Soul George licks ) than its not-too-much-cheaper AC4 stablemate, On the other hand, there's much to be said for a single head that can be matched with different cabs - or vice versa - and if you plan ahead you'll also have the option of matching a higher-power head with a given bottom somewhere down the road; here's a review I did a while back of my own Bugera T5 head - I think you'll get the idea:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=653100
Old 12-30-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
My thoughts:
  • A 5-watt amp can be a surprisingly potent weapon in your tone arsenal - IME you can play audiences up to 150 people if you get the right one...
  • How much onboard vs. outboard tone modification do you want/need - and how much gear are you willing to carry to/set up/ tear down at a gig...
  • Not all low-watt amps are created equal, even within a given power range - are you a one-tone kinda guy (nothing wrong with that BTW) or do you need quick turn-a-dial versatility to accommodate different styles and/or instruments on the job...
  • Are you locked into the idea of traditional hot glass bottles in the engine compartment, or would you be willing to dip your toe into some newer technology if it'll deliver the tones you need (translation: pencil in at least one of the Vox MV50 NuTube micro-heads on your audition list - which leads me to:
  • Do you prefer the all-in-one-box convenience of a combo, or would you like the ability to mix-&-match cabs with different size/efficiency speakers to the needs of a particular instrument/performing situation (what I said about a 5-watter covering a mid-size audience)...
  • You can score a low-watt tube amp for $200, $2500, and just about every point in between - will this be your exclusive amp over the long haul, or do you plan to step up to something more esoteric/powerful in either the short or long term...
If you're on a bucks-down budget and prefer a combo, the Bugera V5 combo gets a lot of love around here - my last band used to play one of the local coffeehouses (with a tasteful drummer) and I had more than enough grunt to get the job done - and if you've got some more spare cash and favor early British tone, IMO the Vox AC10 offers more versatility and available headroom (plug a Gretsch into one and you'll be pulling out all your favorite pre-Rubber Soul George licks ) than its not-too-much-cheaper AC4 stablemate, On the other hand, there's much to be said for a single head that can be matched with different cabs - or vice versa - and if you plan ahead you'll also have the option of matching a higher-power head with a given bottom somewhere down the road; here's a review I did a while back of my own Bugera T5 head - I think you'll get the idea:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=653100
Ive got a Brand New Kustom K12(?) Passive speaker I bought on a whim...$69 maybe this could be mated to the Buger T5 I might unhook the tweeter..Or do I need too ?
Old 12-30-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I've got a Brand New Kustom K12(?) p-assive speaker I bought on a whim...$69 maybe this could be mated to the Bugera T5 I might unhook the tweeter..Or do I need too ?
IME you're not going to achieve the sound you're after with a traditional tube (or for that matter, analog solid-state) head: the relatively narrow frequency band (80-5kHz is typical) is, along with several other specific construction characteristics, a major part of what produces the the distinctively "electric guitar" speaker tonality, although a lot of guys do swear by PA/FRFR speakers with digital gear and UST acoustic-electric instruments. If it were me I'd save it for what it does best, pick up a decent used guitar cab on CL/Reverb/eBay or at your friendly local big-box store, and hear both amp and guitar the way they were meant to be heard: FWIW I've gotten good results with this one, and if you're not going to be driving your micro-amp's power stage too hard (lay off the Phat button on your T5...) it makes for a highly-compact, lightweight, affordable ($119 brand-new - and can be had for less) package for tight stages and/or smaller rooms:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...peaker-cabinet

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 12-30-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:13 PM

String recommendations for the Ibanez A75G ?? it came with 10-46 ...I'm good with something bigger
Old 01-04-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
String recommendations for the Ibanez AF75G ?? It came with 10-46 - I'm good with something bigger...
If you're still looking for acoustic response ditch the tune-o-matic in favor of a wooden bridge (available from StewMac and Allparts for around $30-40), go with nothing lighter than 12's - 13's if you can handle them (flatwounds will not only make fingering easier per se but allow you to drop the action far lower than roundwounds, and the heavier gauge will drive the top and get some "wood" into your tone) - and use a wound G; this is the default jazz players' setup that's worked for decades, and for a deep-body archtop like the AF75 it's an excellent starting point...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops