The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-17-2023, 02:55 PM

Default Godin kingpin replacement bridge

Looking for a replacement rosewood bridge for my godin kingpin, can anyone point me in the right direction? Most of the saddles I've found don't have the required radius of 16"

Last edited by sonicbeaver; 12-17-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

You will need to shape the feet of whatever you buy to fit your guitar. And it is also normally not too much of a problem to shape the top too. Rosewood is pretty easy to work with.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:12 PM

I'm thinking of getting an alnicov bridge and using a radiused block to get it to 16"

Last edited by sonicbeaver; 12-17-2023 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

You can just cut string slots in the bridge to take the strings to the fretboard radius.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-18-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
You can just cut string slots in the bridge to take the strings to the fretboard radius.
I wouldn't do that; strings slots have to be as shallow as possible in order to get a clean tone.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 12-18-2023, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I wouldn't do that; strings slots have to be as shallow as possible in order to get a clean tone.
That is a very good point. I did forget to add "and then sand the top to half string depth. To go from 13" to 16" it is just a small drop of the middle strings that's needed. A few strokes with a fine file would then take away the top material and leave those slots at half depth. It's a touch quicker and less measuring than trying to sand the whole top to a new radius. We'll, it would be for me!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops