The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-25-2023, 12:44 PM

Default String recommendation

Considering installing a floating humbucker on an Eastman AR805 (acoustic, no cutaway).

I'm very happy with its acoustic tone, but the idea of plugging it in has appeal. It's currently strung with D'Addario NBs, but I'm pretty sure those strings wouldn't work so well with a magnetic pickup.

Any recommendations for electric strings that can stand on their own unplugged; does such an animal exist?

(Not thinking of an acoustic pickup at the moment)
Old 09-25-2023, 02:49 PM

Martin Retro Monels: until LaBella developed the first flatwound electric guitar strings in 1940 monels were the go-to setup for the first generation of electric jazz guitarists (FYI they're magnetic), having been available as acoustic strings since the end of WW I - give a set of MM13's a try at your next string change (BTW give them at least a week to break in before making any judgements) and tell us what you think...
Old 09-25-2023, 06:04 PM

I've used Monels many times, but was not aware they were magnetic.

Thanks, Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Martin Retro Monels: until LaBella developed the first flatwound electric guitar strings in 1940 monels were the go-to setup for the first generation of electric jazz guitarists (FYI they're magnetic), having been available as acoustic strings since the end of WW I - give a set of MM13's a try at your next string change (BTW give them at least a week to break in before making any judgements) and tell us what you think...
Old 09-26-2023, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

1) You should read this:
https://www.campusfive.com/swingguit...=1527786059161

2) Change your strings often in order to learn how they affect the tone of your guitar. Don' t be afraid to buy a set that you may not like. If you don't like the way they sound, throw them away and try another. It's like tasting wines. A set of guitar strings costs about as much as a cheap bottle of wine.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:56 PM

I have an Eastman MDC805 which I converted to an AR805. I added a Kent Armstrong floating neck pickup wired to the tip of a TRS jack. I also have a twin head JJB SBT wired to the ring of the TRS jack. They both go to a Baggs Mixpro preamp through a short TRS cable. The Mixpro lets me go all mag, all piezo or a blend anywhere in between.

I've used Newtone monels, Martin Retro monels and Curt Mangan round core monels. All were 13's. They all worked fine, but the Mangans are my favorite for pure acoustic or plugged in.

Monel is a nickel alloy. Nickel and carbon steel are ferromagnetic. Most chrome or stainless steel strings aren't.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I have an Eastman MDC805 which I converted to an AR805. I added a Kent Armstrong floating neck pickup wired to the tip of a TRS jack. I also have a twin head JJB SBT wired to the ring of the TRS jack. They both go to a Baggs Mixpro preamp through a short TRS cable. The Mixpro lets me go all mag, all piezo or a blend anywhere in between.

I've used Newtone monels, Martin Retro monels and Curt Mangan round core monels. All were 13's. They all worked fine, but the Mangans are my favorite for pure acoustic or plugged in.

Monel is a nickel alloy. Nickel and carbon steel are ferromagnetic. Most chrome or stainless steel strings aren't.
Thanks for the info - and for the rig rundown.

Before committing to a floating humbucker install, I want to hear what the guitar sounds like through a pickup. So, my - perhaps - temporary solution was to order a "Krivo Handmade Micro-Stealth PAF Humbucking pickup." I've read and heard good things about Krivo (including Mr Beaumont's youtube video). The one I bought attaches to the top with putty, so if for some reason it's not a love match, I'm not stuck with it, so to speak.

It's a plug and play deal, but I thought I'd try it through my K&K preamp...

I'll keep you posted on the results.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm440 View Post
Thanks for the link. Good info there.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Considering installing a floating humbucker on an Eastman AR805 (acoustic, no cutaway).

I'm very happy with its acoustic tone, but the idea of plugging it in has appeal. It's currently strung with D'Addario NBs, but I'm pretty sure those strings wouldn't work so well with a magnetic pickup.

Any recommendations for electric strings that can stand on their own unplugged; does such an animal exist?

(Not thinking of an acoustic pickup at the moment)
Ouch. I once owned an AR805e which I didn't play because it looked to me like ... an electric.

Sometime later I found a fully acoustic sunburst model which I now cherish (no longer built).

It is strung with NB mediums as is my Gibson, and Harmony, and whilst all unencumbered by electrics, the nickel content in nickel bronze strings is about 66% and whilst non ferrous IS magnetic.

My AR805e

My Ar805(s/b)

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 09-27-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:57 PM

Here’s a quick little demonstration of the Krivo humbucker. Through a Blues Jr. Got a sampling of strings on order. Currently strung with D’Addario NB (nickel bronze) 12s.

Still working on tone. New - other - strings w/o bronze may or may not make a big difference. B and E strings stand out, so poles could be adjusted further. Other than that, it’s got a nice woody tone and doesn’t feed back at all.

Last edited by upsidedown; 10-02-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:06 PM

I just read about a new line of strings from Stringjoy called Orbiters. They are six-string coated electric guitar strings. I don't know your playing style or sound, but they could be a good solution to "stay acoustic but go electric."
Old 10-04-2023, 03:53 PM

D'Addario Nickle Bronze strings sound ideal for what you want to do. I am using them on my Guild X170 and their magnetic properties are great.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:01 PM

Default String change

rockabilly, thanks. They do sound good. But I'm experiment with other strings.

Here 'tis with Curt Mangan monels. 12-52

Old 10-04-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I just read about a new line of strings from Stringjoy called Orbiters. They are six-string coated electric guitar strings. I don't know your playing style or sound, but they could be a good solution to "stay acoustic but go electric."
Thanks for the link.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Curt Mangan round core monels.
Wanted to circle back with a Plus One on the Curt Mangans. Very much enjoying them! Thanks again for the recommendation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops