The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...I am often amazed at how little difference there is in the tone between them all....subtle differences when I’m really paying attention but overall they all sound fairly similar....they do feel different which affects my playing a bit....and the different shapes and bevels are quite noticeable and also impact my playing....

....so even though I’m technically a pickaholic I could easily get by with any one of them...
I feel the same way. I wish I could forget that there are a million picks to try out there. My wife says they all sound the same to her anyway, lol.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Celluloid will explode in my fingers in les than half a set. 've been using Nylon since the early 80's
Old 08-27-2020, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

The trouble with a celluloid pick is that it makes an acoustic guitar sound just like an....... Errr....... acoustic guitar!

Now we can't be having that can we?

About 80% of those picked and strummed tracks from the last 100 years that we love were most likely played using celluloid picks.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:51 AM

I used to. I'm all about the vespel and casein. I'm still bitter that Charmed Life can't do vespel any more. His were rougher than Blue Chip, which sounds much better with my OM.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:09 AM

Like many members here I have a tackle box full of different picks. I like Ultex and Primetone a lot. If you want a different sounding guitar just use a different pick instead of buying a different guitar. Nothing wrong with lots of guitars though.

I like celluloid picks for their smoothness off the strings and warm sound. I used Fender mediums, a little too bright, Fender heavy, a little too warm. Wade turned me on to D’Andrea MH picks, .84mm. They split the difference, the Goldilocks of thickness, feel and tone. You can get them at Strings by Mail among other places.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
Seems like everyone uses either Blue Chips or Casein or other fancy custom picks. Granted, I still haven't tried a Blue Chip, and my Casein experience is limited to JP fast turtles and clayton nutones, but I keep coming back to my extra heavy celluloid picks, especially on my new AD17e Blacktop. I've got some nice D’Addario 1.25mm celluloid triangles and standard shape picks that have a nice warm tone with very little pick noise. The primetone smooth 1.3mm and 1.5mm I have are close seconds, but celluloid just sounds and feels right to me.

I'm assuming people have moved on to more modern pick materials for good reason, but I keep coming back to classic celluloid.
That is all I use, extra heavy celluloid. And I have hundreds of different picks just lying around.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:10 AM

Tried most of the usual suspects, keep coming back to good old Fender mediums.

Want little, and you shall have all you need.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:23 AM

I use medium Fender celluloid picks. Particularly purple celluloid. I'm going to try light tortex though. The celluloid is so slick that my pick moves after a few minutes of playing. My hands also sweat a lot so that's the likely culprit.

Squier Stratocaster heavily modded
LTD EX-360
LTD H-207
Agile Interceptor 828
Old 08-27-2020, 09:24 AM

I dont because I stopped using picks a long time ago. Back then I was using a genuine tortoise pick. Now those have toooone and are easy to grip.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:12 AM

I do . I have been using Fender celluloid Black medium picks when they started making them. Before that Gibson celluloid black picks, medium.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I use celluloid, nylon, and meta-carbonate.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-24-2024, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Celluloid? Somehow there's a Kinks song playing on in head...
Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of

Thanks for today's earworm
Old 03-24-2024, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
I feel the same way. I wish I could forget that there are a million picks to try out there. My wife says they all sound the same to her anyway, lol.
Yeah well I once had a bass player who couldn't tell the difference between an Epiphone Thunderbird bass, running through a SS Peavy 115 amp, and an 18v Fender American Jazz bass running through an Ampeg SVT with 810's.

Some people just don't get it.

Picks? Celluloid picks, for me just seemed to explode in my fingers. Gigging in the 70's, with 9's on my electrics. And a Celluloid pick wouldn't last for 2 songs.

Intro Nylon Herco Flex40. I loved those picks. I would buy them by the hundreds. I never broke one. Lost thousands. .40" so floppy, but if you squeezed it a bit, would turn into a nail. for quick leads. Alas they stopped making them for some reason or another.

I bought so many. I'd have thought just me, would've been reason enough to keep making them.

I went back to Celluloid for a bit, when I found I could get personalized picks. Re-enter the explosive pick.

Now, doing acoustic sets. I rarely use a pick. When I do, it's .60 Nylon Dunlop. I find them hard to hold though. They spin in my fingers, and eventually end up on the floor.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I’m a cheap date. Celluloid all the way. Buy ‘em by the dozen. Have ‘em all over the house.
I join Rev in the cheap date club.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Fender celluloid 351 heavy picks are fine for me. I've bought more expensive picks and tried other people's even more expensive picks. Admittedly, I can hear the difference, but none of them have sounded better to me. I guess I'm just a cheap date by nature as well, I would rather have a hamburger than a steak. I can't bring myself to spend a lot of money just to get a pick that sounds different.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion